Orchids In The Airport?

lis41

A friend told me that she remembers a shop in the BKK airport (don't know which airport she was referring to) that had a shop that sold orchids, ones that were wrapped up nicely and could be taken on the plane.

I'm leaving Tuesday and an orchid would be a perfect gift for someone back home. Does Chiang Mai airport have such a shop? I'm leaving mid-afternoon so all the shops should be open while I'm there.

And if not, does anyone know of a flower shop in town that could wrap one up to be taken overseas? Didn't even think that was legal but now my hopes are up to be able to deliver such a perfect gift.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Thanks Kenny, should have mentioned - home is the States.

So I guess your next move is, can you take live plant life through USA quarantine.

Australia used to allow a special treated pack of orchids but it's a long time since I've seen them.

Australia in general won't allow anything that lives or used to live. Coral, charcoal, egg shell etc are all banned.

But USA is probably quite different

Kenny

Importing plants to US is not that easy, phytosanitary certificates are generally required, you may have to pass through a plant inspection station to confirm that the species you have are on the approved list not requiring permits and different destination states have different requirements.

Lots of orchids for sale in the US these days, easier to just buy one there.

Importing plants to US is not that easy, phytosanitary certificates are generally required, you may have to pass through a plant inspection station to confirm that the species you have are on the approved list not requiring permits and different destination states have different requirements.

Lots of orchids for sale in the US these days, easier to just buy one there.

That would be my best bet. Save yourself the hassle and long wait at customs. There is such a variety of beauties that anything will do. There are lots of things I'd love to bring back to North America but immigration is a REAL pain.