Being Chased By Dogs

Raiderz4Life

I have a bicycle and like to ride around the outskirts of the busier parts of Chiang Mai. Although dogs are always a threat, lately it seems like the frequency of dogs chasing me while I ride has increased. Is the cool weather making them more active and friskier than usual? What's a good way to deal with this problem, other than not riding at all?

I ride all the time and not a lot of trouble with dogs..

some tips

avoid locations with the most aggressive ones. They are territorial.

At times it's best to get off the bike quickly and confront them. A lot of dogs are chicken shits and they want to chase but not get chased. Sometimes you have turn the tables. If I see a dog waiting to chase me I slow down and start to stalk them. A lot run or back off quickly.

Most dogs in Thailand know about getting hit with rocks. If one reaches down to the ground they know that means a fastball projectile could be coming soon and they will scatter.

if a dog is on you quickly then an aggressive sound like a banzai yell will startle and often unnerve them.

With a charging dog a well timed spit rocket directed at them will really give them pause. Perhaps they think your a spitting cobra for a second. I have unnerved many a dog with that and its satisfying to nail one in the face.

if its convenient or your off the bike then a well timed squeeze of the water bottle at their face gives a similar effect as spitting.

A lot of times dogs just want to bark and chase but that is about it... If your good at reading dogs then just being calm and riding thru is effective if a bit annoying. A wagging tail is good. Pinned back ears and no barking is a bad sign.

Dog's do have intuition and can read your pheromones(scents) or whatever. If have before or are prepared to unleash whoop ass on them they will get the message and give you space. I have savaged a few with projectiles over the years and I think the next dog can read that off me and it pays off with some respect... You might need to sharpen your aim and battle scar a few dogs to get that kind of street credibility.

Some people like those air horns. I just sharpen my martial arts war screams. Sound is a powerful tool.

Curious what other tips people have...

Never been bitten in Thailand or even nipped at really. Knock on wood. Lucky so far.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Shoot them with a BB gun

Discharging a weapon from a bicycle is best left to terrorists as it can impair balance and cause the rider to fall.

Besides, it is difficult for police officers to distinguish between some of the BB/pellet guns and other sidearms. Do you want to do the explaining when the locals call the cops to complain about some guy in lycra pedaling about brandishing a weapon?

Good advice, cobrasnakenecktie. You need the ability to recognize the threat. Using a weapon while riding a bicycle is a good way to get yourself hurt. Any time you take your eye off the road in front of you is when you'll hit something. Walking is a different story, but even then it's easy to read the dogs. I've met many a nasty dog in Thailand, but most of them will never press an attack. They are just being territorial. If I know there is one particular dog that WILL bite I make an effort to go back and teach it a lesson with a green bamboo club. Most often I can face down even a pack of dogs. The trick of reaching for a stone is a good one... even if there isn't a stone there. Dogs all know what that means and will take off. I've been bitten by dogs many times, but never in Thailand.

this pack always comes running up to me as I go by. They just sneek around to sniff me and then leave.

Soi_dogs.sized.jpg

Attach a knobbed stick, like an Irish shillelagh (pronounced shill-lay-lee) see: http://www.walkingequipment.com/shillelagh.htm to your bike. Just holding it up will keep most dogs at bay--they all know sticks. If one really attacks--use it. Even a bite to the pants legs, without a scratch, in my opinion, warrants rabies vaccination, though I have not heard that rabies is much of an issue in CM.

Another remarkably effective deterrent is to attach something to a piece of rope, merely swinging it will cause them to turn tail...I'm not sure why. They are smart dogs.

I was walking along the sewage canal the other day and was confronted with half a dozen "slum" dogs. I found that merely swinging my small camera was a great deterrent.

I enjoy walking places where the extremly poor live (such as along the sewage canal) if you want to see truly wonderful spirit houses--that is where you will find them, some decades, maybe hundreds of years old. The dogs usually bring the locals, but I find that they are generally agreeable to letting me photograph the spirit houses when I mime what it is that I want. Perhaps I have been lucky but the friendliness of the Chiang Mai-ians continue to amaze me.

I just sharpen my martial arts war screams. Sound is a powerful tool.

Oh my Gawd!!!! So, that's YOU! :o

Half the village goes in hiding, chills up the spine, dogs go baserk, when the Ghost scream occurs! :ph34r:

:lol:

Would you believe, some misguided fool here in Phuket is trying to collect donations to immunize the street mongrels against distemper.

He only wants 2,000 baht each dog.

Should be no problem.

Kenny

Yup, some people have a heart for animals and will try to help those in need, and some obviously don't ... <_< It says a lot about the person ... :rolleyes:

Shoot them with a BB gun

Discharging a weapon from a bicycle is best left to terrorists as it can impair balance and cause the rider to fall.

Besides, it is difficult for police officers to distinguish between some of the BB/pellet guns and other sidearms. Do you want to do the explaining when the locals call the cops to complain about some guy in lycra pedaling about brandishing a weapon?

Sorry, I thought it would be obvious to stop first and then shoot. The only times I come across annoying dogs when I'm walking is on lonely side streets. I certainly would not recommend shooting one in view of other people, they may take offence!!!

when we lived on Phuket I gave up running there were so many dogs intent on getting a piece of me; the 1km stretch between us and a main road had 16 who dedicated their waking hours to tormenting walkers, runners and cyclists. On the bike I'd ride very very slowly armed with an extra water bottle and with one cycling shoe un-cleated ready to kick if necessary, but still stressful for what was meant to be my relaxation time. When we went for a walk I'd carry a length of bamboo, leave it at the corner and collect it on the way back. They are a bloody curse.

Now we're in Sa Kaeo there's just one route I have to be wary of, three dogs who rush at cyclists, now I know where they are I either avoid or do the 'slow' ride. All the while fantasising about riding along throwing out chunks of poisoned meat to kill them all.

As far as a pack of dog's go then it's your most dangerous situation because they feed of each others energy and are often more aggressive.

It's important to read which dog is the leader or alpha dog.. That dog is both the most dangerous and key to the situation.

A common mistake would be to confront or deal with a lower dog.. That would give the stronger dog(s) an easy shot or attack at you while your distracted. Find the alpha, get eye contact and then use a number of techniques to intimidate or unnerve him.

One technique that works on many animals including dogs is to look bigger or taller. Holding ones hands high or wide make the primitive dog brain software think your more of a danger.

Get the alpha to flinch and the pack cohesion evaporates.

One time in the Arizona hinterlands near Sedona a friend and myself got surrounded by about a dozen overgrown and aggressive coyotes. We had only two dogs with us but this medium sized Lab was smart enough to suss out the alpha coyote and that went for broke and jumped on the alpha and the pack scattered like frightened rats. The irony was that the coyotes where bigger and probably meaner than both our dogs... They just got outplayed by a couple of city dogs.

Good dog psychology stuff to keep in your mind.

~

Simple question, lots of complex answers. How about a simple one that works in every situation:

Purchase one of those very small, plastic kid's revolver-style cap pistols. Not ones that look like real guns but the really cheap (15-20 thb), gaudy-colored things that fit in a child's small hand. Make sure it is the kind that takes the caps that are in a red plastic ring, 8 caps per ring. Total cost for capgun and a box of caps, just over one Amelican Dolla.

For such a little thing, these have an amazingly loud report and will completely turn any situation with a dog in your favor with no risk whatsoever of hurting the animal. I have not had to use mine often but in each case, the dogs turned tail and ran as fast as they could go. In returning to these areas, I do still see the dogs but they are already running in the other direction.

These toys are so small that it is difficult for anyone to see that you even have anything in your hand, the pop of small fireworks doesn't even turn heads in this country and they fit easily even into a normal shirt pocket when bicycling or walking. It is also easy to find a way to hang it from your handlebars. NOBODY is going to question your possession of a little kid's toy.

I don't like people who carry sticks (canes excepted). Stick-carriers tend to make threatening gestures with them even when totally unnecessary. I have many times gone out into the street around my house and told people that if they don't like the harrassment they are getting from the dogs, go walk down someone else's street. We live in a very quiet moo ban and they cause much of what little noise pollution we have in here. ALL the dogs I have seen around here hassle stick-carriers and I am tired of listening to it. Broad-brimmed hats seem to have the same effect - go figure.

When walking around our neighbood I sometimes carry little dog treats - I am neighborhood-wide adored... :)

Dustoff

as a cyclist the cap gun would be a little tricky because it would suck to have in your hand... Impair your ability to control the bike. Would have to keep it dry in a pocket or holster during wet weather or just heavy perspiration. No joke I often lose 2 to 3 kg of sweat in a longer ride.

Sounds more suited for walkers. Loud sound does work wonders though. From Martial arts to the military, sound is a powerful tactic. You can sooth, heal or stun with the proper sounds well deployed.

There is one guy in CM who bikes and has this cool rechargeable air horn mounted on his bike. That would be like instant dog laxative. Probably annoying to others though.

Dogs have a keen sense of smell. might be some interesting odor tactics. For example if a person has iced a few dogs in the past would the dog brain software catch the scent and get an image of the canine grim reaper?

as a cyclist the cap gun would be a little tricky because it would suck to have in your hand... Impair your ability to control the bike. Would have to keep it dry in a pocket or holster during wet weather or just heavy perspiration. No joke I often lose 2 to 3 kg of sweat in a longer ride.

Sounds more suited for walkers. Loud sound does work wonders though. From Martial arts to the military, sound is a powerful tactic. You can sooth, heal or stun with the proper sounds well deployed.

There is one guy in CM who bikes and has this cool rechargeable air horn mounted on his bike. That would be like instant dog laxative. Probably annoying to others though.

Dogs have a keen sense of smell. might be some interesting odor tactics. For example if a person has iced a few dogs in the past would the dog brain software catch the scent and get an image of the canine grim reaper?

I like Dustoff's solution, but I don't want to carry the cap gun either.

Sharp noises do work. However my friends yell so loud it scares even me. I think they're more likely to cause an accident with the screams than the dogs are. Personally, even with 500,000+ kms, I've had only 2 or 3 negative encounters with dogs. I just let them chase me without panicking. But to prevent a problem for my group, I'll try a loud clap of my hands next time we encounter a dog. Of course, if you wear gloves that won't work, but I'll go gloveless next time to see how it goes.

If this thread is still alive on Tuesday, I'll report back.

I have a bicycle and like to ride around the outskirts of the busier parts of Chiang Mai. Although dogs are always a threat, lately it seems like the frequency of dogs chasing me while I ride has increased. Is the cool weather making them more active and friskier than usual? What's a good way to deal with this problem, other than not riding at all?

Maybe you shouldn't be carrying those bags full of nice smelling cooked sausages with you... :lol:

Actually, maybe that would be a GOOD idea... like Dustoff said. Just feed the critters along the way. :D

That reminds me of the old Russian cartoon of the wolves chasing the man and woman in the sleigh. And he says to her... " I told you we should have brought the children!" :lol:

Carry a few dog bones if you get too scared the dogs going to get you toss the bones . But then the next time you apss that same dog he s going to expect another bone ........ You will be doing the Soi dogs a service Personally I ignore them they generally will go away after a short distance once they know your not scared of them .

99 times from a hundred dogs just want to chase things and ensure your leaving their territory.. Tho of course that doesnt help you from the 1 time in a 100 you might actually get a biter.

As others are right in saying 1) the alphas generally the key and 2) they feed off your reaction. My wife got nipped a year or two ago and she squeals, hides, and in generally afraid of them now. Dogs feed on it and often bark at her and intimidate her. I turn, vocalize or even growl, stop and confront the lead dog, and they always seem to back off (note thats not in anyones house plot where a dog has far greater 'defense' instinct).

CobraSnakes Post covers most of what I would use.

I agree that a short sharp shout usually makes them stop in their tracks, always works for me....well, once it didnt, got off the bike and wrapped it round the dogs head. That dog has bever bothered me again. Not the dogs fault of course. so many people like the idea of having a dog and letting everyone else take care of it, put up with the barking, clear up the mess...................sorry another topic!

I am out on the bike several times a week and in four years, have only had a few risky encounters. Most dogs just want to bark until you leave and it's not worth doing anything in those cases.

Other dogs might require you to just raise you arm like you are going to throw a rock and they scurry away when you yell "Bpye" as long as you are leaving the area.

Last week though I got surrounded by a pack of 5 dogs south of the Samoung Road near the Olive Home guest house. 3 dogs were very aggressive and they actually circled me to get behind me. For the first time here, I had to get off the bike and protect my rear. I picked up some rocks and threw them at the dogs to make room for me to keep walking the bike out of the area. 100 meters later they retreated and I was able to get back on the bike, only to find one of the dogs ripping up the road to get at me. Had to get off the bike again and pick up some rocks.

You need to control the situation while protecting yourself and I doubt any type of weapon could be deployed fast enough when on a bike to help you. Once you are off the bike like I was last week, it might be a different story.

hey T dog... Yup I have been there many a time... Have to control the situation. Have to impress on the alpha dog that a biblical act of violence is an immediate possibility... I prefer the visualization of throwing a few of them into an industrial wood chipper. If they get a whiff of a humans ruthless inner Chimpanzee then they think about their self preservation.

People forget that 5000 years ago all dogs were wolves. Man started domesticating them and that's why we have wiener dogs and greyhounds etc. Those dogs would not exist in nature.. They would be eaten like finger snacks by wolves.

Deep down in every dogs DNA is a scary flesh mauling pack savage of a wolf.... Once in a while a person might get to experience a taste of that.

Fortunately these days it's pretty rare.

hey T dog... Yup I have been there many a time... Have to control the situation. Have to impress on the alpha dog that a biblical act of violence is an immediate possibility... I prefer the visualization of throwing a few of them into an industrial wood chipper. If they get a whiff of a humans ruthless inner Chimpanzee then they think about their self preservation.

People forget that 5000 years ago all dogs were wolves. Man started domesticating them and that's why we have wiener dogs and greyhounds etc. Those dogs would not exist in nature.. They would be eaten like finger snacks by wolves.

Deep down in every dogs DNA is a scary flesh mauling pack savage of a wolf.... Once in a while a person might get to experience a taste of that.

Fortunately these days it's pretty rare.

Ah Snake, the ruthless inner chimp! Yep, I agree with you. There is one black dog that lives in a hill tribe settlement that is truly an attack dog. Luckily he lives on a downhill so I can out maneuver him but he always has that look in his eye...... But smarts wins.

I am out on the bike several times a week and in four years, have only had a few risky encounters. Most dogs just want to bark until you leave and it's not worth doing anything in those cases.

Other dogs might require you to just raise you arm like you are going to throw a rock and they scurry away when you yell "Bpye" as long as you are leaving the area.

Last week though I got surrounded by a pack of 5 dogs south of the Samoung Road near the Olive Home guest house. 3 dogs were very aggressive and they actually circled me to get behind me. For the first time here, I had to get off the bike and protect my rear. I picked up some rocks and threw them at the dogs to make room for me to keep walking the bike out of the area. 100 meters later they retreated and I was able to get back on the bike, only to find one of the dogs ripping up the road to get at me. Had to get off the bike again and pick up some rocks.

You need to control the situation while protecting yourself and I doubt any type of weapon could be deployed fast enough when on a bike to help you. Once you are off the bike like I was last week, it might be a different story.

Good point, T-dog. I have no compunction in killing an aggressive dog that is off its own property. But, you have to lay a trap for them. The moment they see you are a threat then they take off. I carry a bamboo club with 2 long screws through either side. It's a nasty weapon and quite capable of killing some thing or some one. But, you have to turn your back until the alpha dog gets close enough to use it. It's just a matter of good timing. I'll go out of my way to hunt down a nasty dog. In Canada I've killed 4 dogs for various offences. I strangled a Pitt bull until it died and told its owner that he was next. I still have the scars to show for that encounter. Some of my many bites were my own fault by crawling too close to a dog when it was eating. I was often bit when delivering mail and newspapers as a kid. Riding a bicycle is a natural target for some dogs. They can't help but chase things. Some will bite and some just chase. As cobra says, it''s an instinct that goes back thousands of years. A week ago I had to strangle another dog that ran in front of my motorcycle at night. I ran it over and broke its back. I couldn't let it suffer and had to dispatch it the only way I knew how. It was NOT a pleasant experience. Fortunately, I didn't dump my big bike.