Manual Egg Beater

CMX

On holiday in SF right now and wandered into a cooking shop. Saw the exact egg beater in gennesis' post, $12 US. CNX - I'll be back on the 9th of January, it would be no problem to grab it for you, just let me know. Merry Christmas!

Further researches negative. Tried Hang Dong Tesco/Lotus and Big C. No eggbeaters. Then had a brainwave. Index Living Mall. They use the Ikea "business model" it is said, and Ikea's kitchen selections are enormous. Not Index Living, however. But knives galore + they offer two kinds of plastic covered whisks?

Makes me sad for CM. I figure to be in BKK sometime, and asked their forum. Place is lousy with real manual eggbeaters, including Lotus/Tesco and Big C. Sad.

However, it does answer the question, "Why would anyone ever want to go to Bangkok?"

Good reason

When I first saw this thread my first reaction was tell the poster where and be done with it. What could possibly take 30 posts for a egg beater.

Little did I know. I find it laughable :D the extend some people will go to in defending a whisk or a fork when there was never a attack on them.Unbelievable. Some people really have to get out more.

It is obvious that you have located a egg beater. When you beat up a omelet let me know. I am always willing to critique a omelet.:)

On holiday in SF right now and wandered into a cooking shop. Saw the exact egg beater in gennesis' post, $12 US. CNX - I'll be back on the 9th of January, it would be no problem to grab it for you, just let me know. Merry Christmas!

Lis41,

This is a very generous thought. I would never accept EXCEPT that it saves me from going to Bangkok. I accept.

Please be assured as I will be delighted to go wherever is convenient for you - whenever - for pickup and reimbursement after your return!

Many thanks plus!

And for those forking eggs or whisking, we shall endeavor to post as pictures low-yolk omelets standing tall like meringue, created in a fraction of the time (the cooks of the French Island of Mont Saint-Michel whisk their omelettes 1000 times!), light as froth. more mouthsome than the contents of a pumpkin pie, though flavored with shallots or scallions and fresh vegetables, dusted lightly with Thai ground pepper. And if we ever find some, filled out with fat-free cheese for chew-ability. Or small browned potatoes with more onions yet.

When I first saw this thread my first reaction was tell the poster where and be done with it. What could possibly take 30 posts for a egg beater.

It highlights how laid-back & inconsequential life is, for those of us lucky enough to be living up here, long may that continue !

I'm now eagerly anticipating the follow-up thread, on where to find mechanical-eggs, for one's brand-new mechanical egg-beater to be used-on ? :lol:

Meanwhile Merry Christmas, one and all ! :jap:

Manual egg beater you ask? Isn't that what Thai cooks are for? :lol:

The ONLY time I've really needed an egg beater was when using the whites of eggs for a stiff foam. Then, I just use an electric beater. A fork or a whisk is all that's needed for an omelette, or when stirred into a Kow Padt.

Manual egg beater you ask? Isn't that what Thai cooks are for? :lol:

The ONLY time I've really needed an egg beater was when using the whites of eggs for a stiff foam. Then, I just use an electric beater. A fork or a whisk is all that's needed for an omelette, or when stirred into a Kow Padt.

Sir Ian,

Thank you for expressing your thinking about what works for you. As a general thing, I find your advice informative and helpful. I may be wrong here, but i have a feeling that you did not have the patience to read this trivial thread, or perhaps the OP's trivial OP.

But I must meanwhile suggest that while your tastes in what is important in life appear to me to be far more evolved, sophisticated, and pleasant than my own, omelets apparently do not fall into that class. The lot of all humans is to live largely in ignorance.

This is not shocking to me. Neither Vancouver nor Victoria are internationally known for their omelets (York Hotel in Toronto does an adequate job), and once one moves away from those centers in BC, cousins to my aunt's phooey eggs are found, tire material. It is not your fault.

Edited by CMX

Just having a little fun, CMX, and keeping the thread at the top of the page into the bargain. I actually make a mean omelette myself, but the important ingredient is fresh, farm raised eggs from chickens who peck for their food in the garden. Most restaurants can't afford those eggs in the quantity needed. Most Thai eggs as a general rule are much superior to the eggs from chickens raised in wire cages. Good luck in obtaining that fancy hand egg beater. I just hate losing half the egg whites that stick to the beaters. Of course, I'm such a cheap charlie that I actually scrape out my egg shells with a butter knife.

Omelette_3_Em.sized.jpg

The mind boggles, there might be worse threats out there, than wives bearing knives, with anger & determination in their eyes ! Imagine using a manual egg-beater, for 'naughty' purposes, and getting one's dangly-bits trapped in the rotating-whisks. It fair brings a tear to the eye ! :o

The mind boggles, there might be worse threats out there, than wives bearing knives, with anger & determination in their eyes ! Imagine using a manual egg-beater, for 'naughty' purposes, and getting one's dangly-bits trapped in the rotating-whisks. It fair brings a tear to the eye ! :o

:cheesy::clap2::passifier:

Lis41, good soul, has already purchased a stainless steel egg beater and is flying it from San Francisco to town. She got, by chance, the last one in that store.

A truly fluffy omelet should appear at the end of this thread in about 2 weeks.

The omelette is true art form, scrambled eggs in a jacket! Which the pic above is not (even the cheese is not melted showing a lack of internal heat and there is color other than yellow and god forbid I see the signs of it not being properly beaten, white spots!!!) Sorry Ian nothing personal but maybe by "mean" you meant bad attitude. A good way to judge a prospective professional cook is to ask them to make an omelette and you will be able to tell their overall skill level. So for all those naysayers, NEVER underestimate an omelette (or you might have another few dz. posts!)

http://chestofbooks.com/food/household/A-Manual-Of-Home-Making/Egg-Beaters.html

Description

This section is from the book "A Manual Of Home-Making", by Martha Van Rensselaer. Also available from Amazon: A Manual of Home-Making.

Egg-Beaters

Different types of egg-beaters are needed, according to the consistency desired in the beaten whites. For all-round use, the dover egg-beater is a good choice because it works most quickly. It is operated by turning a wheel, without being lifted from the eggs to be beaten, and hence beats in comparatively little air and gives a fine, close texture. One should be selected in which the cogs do not "interfere." The balloon-shaped egg-whisk made of piano wire carries more air into the moisture, and the flat wire beater gives the airiest texture of all. Either of the latter types is preferable to the dover egg-beater for angel cake, sponge cake, or meringues where lightness is more desirable than fineness of grain.

END QUOTE

Seems there is more than one way to get air into an egg.

Seems there is more than one way to get air into an egg.

Martha Van Rensselaer second most famous book: A Manual of Naughty Tidbits in the Home" which sadly is no longer available from Amazon or Ebay mentions:

"Whilst the balloon-shaped egg-whisk made of piano wire can be utilized in creative and moderately enjoyable ways, the flat wire beater, used properly and skillfully can create uniquely enjoyable harmonic vibrations which in the right hands can scramble anyone's eggs quite thoroughly."

No wonder that was the last one in stock....

Edited by jsflynn603