Motorcycle Police Check

Ken

I was recently informed that at some checkpoints in Korat, the police are demanding to see a copy of the motorcycle registration book and if you don't produce you are fined. In my 20 years of riding here I have never been asked for this. Is this a new law or is it one that has always been there, but not always enforced? Anybody know???

No, not new law, that is an old one not used that often :)

You must have evidence of who is the owner of the motor cycle etc. I am not exacly sure what is required, a copy of the motorcycle registration book always does the trick. The police do have legal right to fine you if you have nothing

This has always been the law, and if they're only fining you you're lucky.. For the past few years now Chiangmai police have run a yearly crackdown on this, and if no Tabien or photocopy can be presented, they seize the bike. Last time they did it they impounded several hundred bikes as I recall.

This has always been the law, and if they're only fining you you're lucky.. For the past few years now Chiangmai police have run a yearly crackdown on this, and if no Tabien or photocopy can be presented, they seize the bike. Last time they did it they impounded several hundred bikes as I recall.

Tabien baan? It has always been enough with copy green of motorcycle book in Bangkok, you can clearly get fined without it, I was once many years ago and learnt the lesson. That copy and ID card should be enough, no?

Tabien baan? It has always been enough with copy green of motorcycle book in Bangkok, you can clearly get fined without it, I was once many years ago and learnt the lesson. That copy and ID card should be enough, no?

Tabien motocy :)

a copy has always been required. On a recent trip to Nong Kai all vehicles without copy book (or more than 30 days on redplates) where impounded, . Routine check point to get stolen vehicles off the road, boys in black (border police and organiced crime units).

It is also important to bring Tabien motocy if transported on a trailer or in a pickup

If vehicle is not reg in your name, a rentalagreement or documents issued by owner allowing you to use vehicle is recommended to avoid hazzle

Ok. Thanks guys. Putting a copy in the bike now. Just surprising that I had never heard it before, and I do prefer to be prepared.

Quite a lot of things are not enforced but me being one of the last boy-scouts carry copies of :-

1. Copy of bikes green book.

2. The insurance slip.

3. My Thai motorbike license.

4. Copy of my Passport.

5. Copy of my House book.

Just in case.

and the same goes for the Truck.