Bangpakok Hospital Seeks Merger

Bangpakok Hospital seeks merger

By SUCHEERA PINIJPARAKARN

The Nation

In a move to strengthen its business, the Bangpakok Hospital Group plans to merge with a local private hospital firm once it is listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand in a couple of years.

Founder and managing director Chareong Chandrakamol said last week that the group was currently in negotiations, but she declined to give details of the deal or the name of the potential strategic partner.

However, she said, the merger would help a smaller hospital expand as well as compete with larger institutions.

Last week, Bangkok Dusit Medical Services (BGH), which operates Bangkok, Samitivej and BNH hospitals, and Health Network, a holding firm that operates Phyathai and Paolo hospitals, merged in a move to prepare for market liberalisation once the 2015 Asean Economic Community is put in place.

Chareong said this merger would reduce operating costs because both hospital firms could share medical technology, equipment and human resources.

In addition, it would help local firms compete with foreign healthcare chains and larger hospitals.

BGH wants to be listed in the SET in order to raise funds, she said, adding that the group might be able to offer something different in terms of healthcare after the merger.

Bangpakok, which has Bt400 million in registered capital, will be investing another Bt1 billion to increase the number of beds next year.

Of the investment, Bt700 million will be borrowed from Krung Thai Bank and the rest from its own coffers. This investment will serve the group's hospitals located on Rama II Road, where more housing estates are being built.

"We expect to provide another 400 beds, which should be enough to serve the patient traffic for another 10 years," she said.

An increase in the number of residents on Rama II Road is a positive factor for Bangpakok, she said, adding that the com?pany's revenue this year would meet its target of Bt2 billion, up by 20 per cent compared to last year. The company is hoping to post a revenue growth of 20 per cent next year, she added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-20

This hospital is just up the road from me and I've used their services many times. It feels like a 5 star hotel. The doctors are totally professional and usually speak English well...if they don't there's always a translator available. And the cost, well, I', from the U.$.

I'm glad to hear they plan to expand.