Russian Food In Pattaya? The Borscht Belt Of Thailand?

Jingthing

Maybe this thread will encourage any closet Russians who read this board to come out of the enigmatic closet. Welcome, Russkies!

In any case, I probably have a little more experience with Russian food than most non Russian foreigners here as my grandparents came from Russia, and one of my grannies was a fantastic cook. Fantastic borscht! Also used to go to some good Russian places in San Francisco (Russians were a big part of Northern California history.)

Anyway, there are now a number of Russian eateries in town, but we never seem to hear anything about them. If you don't know, trust me, Russian can be good food.

Anyway, so far I have only tried two Russian places in town, and I have been very limited in my orders.

A few years ago I tried that "Bear" place in a small soi off Walking street. Had their borscht which was thick, rich, brimming with beets and large chunks of beef, really delicious. Also had the pelmeni (pasta dumplings) in cheese sauce. I had never seen that dish before (the cheese sauce part of it of course) and really liked it a lot. Later I went there after they were shut for off season, and it was like a different place. The borscht was a watery meh and the stuffed cabbage dish was a grease-fest.

Recently I tried Oasis on Jomtien beach road, soi 5. Had the borscht and it was just OK, small portion, not rich in beets, almost no meat (not a big issue, just saying) but it tasted like borscht so that's good, and there was ample sour cream on the side. The pelmeni were served plain with no sauce or butter (a pool of extra boiling water actually which was not appealing to me but could be ignored) served with yet more sour cream on the side. These dumplings themselves I thought were excellent, just the right amount of chewy feel in the mouth, which to me is a lot of chewy feel. The filling was boring, a little minced pork basically, but I really did like the pasta part of it. The soup was 95, the pelmeni 160.

OK, so that's my limited experience here. Any reports on the other Russian restaurants in town?

Edited by Jingthing

I've tried a handful Most come across as so-so but expensive. The one on the top floor

of the new central on beach road for example.

For Jomtien, there was one that was ok though the atmosphere seemed more like

"you ain't Russian(though I do speak some), why are you here?"

This was about half way up that mini "Russian Street" (it seems to have no name on the map) connecting one entrance to Pattaya Park and Thappraya Rd.

Edited by BugJackBaron

I've tried a handful Most come across as so-so but expensive. The one on the top floor

This was about half way up that mini "Russian Street" (it seems to have no name on the map) connecting one entrance to Pattaya Park and Thappraya Rd.

That's interesting. I know the road. Can you describe the place better? I am not put off at all by unwelcoming hosts. It's so rude to assume you need to be a certain nationality to want to eat a certain food. They need learnin' and I'm the man to learn 'em. Well that is unless they totally refused entrance which happened to me at a Korean restaurant in town. It's hard to argue with GO AWAY! NOT FOR YOU! If it happened to be "bow wow stew" night, they would be right! Oh by the way, is there an English menu? Because otherwise I really can't eat there as I don't speak Russkie.

There is another place that looked quite nice to me but I haven't eaten there. It's off 2nd road between Pattaya Klang and Pattaya North on the left side in the same business type area as that large Japanese place was (maybe the Japanese place went out of business). Anyway, Russians would know that place, they advertise a lot in Russian, but they do have an English menu. Also not welcoming, but I think if you ordered they would serve.

Also worth mentioning is the Uzbeki and Russian "Horseshoe" place on Thappraya road on the road to Jomtien. They have an interesting looking menu, though haven't been there yet. It seems fairly popular, maybe it's good?

Edited by Jingthing

That's interesting. I know the road. Can you describe the place better? I am not put off at all by unwelcoming hosts. It's so rude to assume you need to be a certain nationality to want to eat a certain food. They need learnin' and I'm the man to learn 'em. Well that is unless they totally refused entrance which happened to me a Korean restaurant in town. It's hard to argue with GO AWAY! NOT FOR YOU! Oh by the way, is there an English menu? Because otherwise I really can't eat there as I don't speak Russkie.

There is another place that looked quite nice to me but I haven't eaten there. It's off 2nd road between Pattaya Klang and Pattaya North on the left side in the same business type area as that large Japanese place was (maybe the Japanese place went out of business). Anyway, Russians would know that place, they advertise a lot in Russian, but they do have an English menu. Also not welcoming, but I think if you ordered they would serve.

Borscht is actually Ukrainian not Russian and there are many different types. Pelmeni is often served with a little of the cooking liquor (water) into which you are supposed to stir the smetana (sour cream)

Russian food can be good. I especially like the shashlik (usually meat kebabs) cooked on a mangal (bbq)These actually originate from central Asia but like Borscht have been 'adopted' into Russian cuisine. Russian soups are the highlight of their cusine for me. Always hearty and a meal in themselves.

I was told the place on 2nd Road across from Royal Garden has good Russian food w/ the formidable and intimating the huge matryoshka doll in front.

Have tried a place on North Pattaya Road near the Tesco Lotus and was not overly impressed and thought it was a poor value.

It sure ain't Brighton Beach yet.

That's interesting. I know the road. Can you describe the place better? I am not put off at all by unwelcoming hosts. It's so rude to assume you need to be a certain nationality to want to eat a certain food. They need learnin' and I'm the man to learn 'em. Well that is unless they totally refused entrance which happened to me a Korean restaurant in town. It's hard to argue with GO AWAY! NOT FOR YOU! Oh by the way, is there an English menu? Because otherwise I really can't eat there as I don't speak Russkie.

Borscht is actually Ukrainian not Russian and there are many different types. Pelmeni is often served with a little of the cooking liquor (water) into which you are supposed to stir the smetana (sour cream)

Russian food can be good. I especially like the shashlik (usually meat kebabs) cooked on a mangal (bbq)These actually originate from central Asia but like Borscht have been 'adopted' into Russian cuisine. Russian soups are the highlight of their cusine for me. Always hearty and a meal in themselves.

That's interesting. My borscht cooking master granny was actually from Ukraine but when she lived there it was Russia, so she died thinking she was from Russia, so there ...

Thanks for the detail about pelmeni and the water. The first time I had pelmeni was in Pattaya! So Oasis is doing it right. Good for them.

Edited by Jingthing

I was told the place on 2nd Road across from Royal Garden has good Russian food w/ the formidable and intimating the huge matryoshka doll in front.

Have tried a place on North Pattaya Road near the Tesco Lotus and was not overly impressed and thought it was a poor value.

The first place you mentioned seems a little intimidating, don't ask me why. Isn't that place the first Russian restaurant in town? I think it was there when I first came here in 98. The second place, I have looked at their menu and I just don't get a good vibe about that place, not surprised it isn't good.

Edited by Jingthing

That's interesting. My borscht cooking master granny was actually from Ukraine but when she lived there it was Russia, so she died thinking she was from Russia, so there ...

Thanks for the detail about pelmeni and the water. The first time I had pelmeni was in Pattaya! So Oasis is doing it right. Good for them.

Many ethnic Russians living in Ukraine. It must be pointed out that Ukraine was never Russia. It was part of the Soviet Union. The eastern part wanted to remain with Russia in the CIS when the Soviet Union broke apart because the majority of people are of Russian decent in that area.

Few other dishes you might have heard of, thinking they are Russian are actually Ukrainian, for example; Pirishky (rolls filled with potato and baked in a cream sauce with dill) Che (vegetable soup) Kotlet (minced fish or meat, shaped and roasted served with a variety of sauces)

There's also a new Russian restaurant in Bangkok on Sukhumvit Soi 23 called Podkova

http://www.podkova.asia/

Thanks for that Russian Robert. My relatives maybe were too busy dodging pogroms to fully realize what country they were in (never said they were ethnic Russians). They spoke Russian though, not Ukrainian as far as I know. Of course I know eastern European piroshki as that is quite well known in America, but never heard of it served in a dill cream sauce. That's sounds great! I don't think you can get that dish in Pattaya though, too bad. I have seen some piroshki looking items here that are stuffed with meat, but frankly, they don't look very good compared to what I am used to.

Edited by Jingthing

That's interesting. I know the road. Can you describe the place better? I am not put off at all by unwelcoming hosts. It's so rude to assume you need to be a certain nationality to want to eat a certain food. They need learnin' and I'm the man to learn 'em. Well that is unless they totally refused entrance which happened to me at a Korean restaurant in town. It's hard to argue with GO AWAY! NOT FOR YOU! If it happened to be "bow wow stew" night, they would be right! Oh by the way, is there an English menu? Because otherwise I really can't eat there as I don't speak Russkie.

Also worth mentioning is the Uzbeki and Russian "Horseshoe" place on Thappraya road on the road to Jomtien. They have an interesting looking menu, though haven't been there yet. It seems fairly popular, maybe it's good?

It's caled "Populai" cafe and is the 1st cafe on the left were you to walk out of the gate to Pattaya Park.The prices aer OK for western food but I haven't been inside in a couple of years.

Edited by BugJackBaron

the best place in town to try gorgian&uzbekistan food (kebab lovers attention) is located near Soi 6 beach road right behind 7/11 . the name is kavkazskaya plennica .

Not bad russian restaurant on the Thappraya road named "Taverna 8 podkov" (8 horseshoes inn) just pass sugarhut intersection and it will be on the left side if you going from jomtien.

the best place in town to try gorgian&uzbekistan food (kebab lovers attention) is located near Soi 6 beach road right behind 7/11 . the name is kavkazskaya plennica .

Not bad russian restaurant on the Thappraya road named "Taverna 8 podkov" (8 horseshoes inn) just pass sugarhut intersection and it will be on the left side if you going from jomtien.

I knew about the Horseshoe place.

The other one, now that sounds very interesting. I've tried Uzbeki food before, but never Georgian and of course it has a great reputation. (Not talking grits here people.)

Thanks for the tip!

The first place you mentioned seems a little intimidating, don't ask me why. Isn't that place the first Russian restaurant in town? I think it was there when I first came here in 98. The second place, I have looked at their menu and I just don't get a good vibe about that place, not surprised it isn't good.

I dont remember its name, or even if it is still there, but what about the place that used to be on the left hand side at the far end of Walking St, before Walking St even existed, just before the Siam Bayshore hotel.

I havent been up that way in years, but remember it was there circa 1994/95, and I seem to recall it being there before the one on 2nd road.

right behind 7/11 on the second road opposite green life sauna

Oh that place! I know that place, it does look very good. At first you said Beach road so I thought you were talking about another place. I have looked at their menu and it looked like a classic Russian menu to me. I didn't notice any Uzbek or Georgian dishes, that I remember anyway. I can more easily recognize Uzbek. What on their menu specifically is Georgian?

I dont remember its name, or even if it is still there, but what about the place that used to be on the left hand side at the far end of Walking St, before Walking St even existed, just before the Siam Bayshore hotel.

I think you mean Rasputins. I get a tourist trap vibe from that place. Anyone been there, is it any good? I think it's still there, not 100 percent sure though.