Is It Possible To Change From A Non Imm B Visa To A Retirement Visa

Hi, a mate of mine lives in Bangkok and is currently on a Non Imm B visa. He has just past 50 and was thinking of changing to a retirement visa. Can this be done at the immigration office? or, as he has been told by another friend, he has to leave Thailand, get a Non Imm O visa, return to Thailand and then change the Non O to a retirement visa, is that correct? He is a Dutch national.

I on the other hand have a Non Imm O marriage visa, can I just change this to a retirement visa at the local immigration office in Korat?

Also, am I right in thinking that now the only paperwork needed is a letter from the bank saying you have 800,000 in there for the past three months?

When I went to Korat Immigration to extend my O visa, I took a letter from my bank and an updated passbook, This was not enough, they asked for a statement from the bank as well, is this just the Korat office or is it universal now?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Dutchy.

What you do is change your reason of stay from working to retirement. The last day he works is the day he has to go to immirgation and have his current permission to stay cancelled. At the same time he can apply for an extension of stay based on retirement and submit the income proof for that.

For you the same goes. next time you apply for an extension of stay you can just apply based on retirement. immigration will often prefer that as that extension is a lot less work than an extension based on marriage, for both you and immigration.

No need to leave Thaliand and get a new visa.

Know that on an extension of stay based on retirement you cannot get a work permit.

Immigration wants both bank letter and up to date bankbook. I'm not sure what you mean with letter from the bank, bank book and satement from the bank. The letter and statement should be one and the same.

If on non immigrant visa entry just visit Immigration during the last 30 days of any entry for the one year retirement extension of stay.

Bank letter normally only needs to list final balance. You should supply passbook and copies to show balance for time period. A statement would be required for account without passbook. But as with most things some officers will see things a little differently - that is the reason to day a bit early so you have time for any last minute surprise.

If on non immigrant visa entry just visit Immigration during the last 30 days of any entry for the one year retirement extension of stay.

Bank letter normally only needs to list final balance. You should supply passbook and copies to show balance for time period. A statement would be required for account without passbook. But as with most things some officers will see things a little differently - that is the reason to day a bit early so you have time for any last minute surprise.

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

I went to the Korat immigration office to extend my non imm ) visa. I took a letter from my local Kasikorn bank stating I had the reuired 400k. I also updated my passbook, both done the day before my visit. When I handed these over the officer asked for a statement. I replied that surely the passbook and letter constituted that. No, she wanted an actual statement from the bank, told me to go to Korat and get one. This I did, just a slip of paper saying I had a balance of 400k, exactly the same as the letter and the passbook. The officer said their new boss was asking for this requirement. Last week when I did my 90 day report, a chap in front of me went through the exact same conversation as I had with the same officer. He was sent to Korat to get a statement.