(How M)Any Expats In Their 30S Or 40S?

joorakee

who said constantly? this is but my second incarnation. And i have no issues, neither with you nor tv posters in general.

ND, your memory may also excellent, but it does seem a bit selective.

I merely made an observation about the average age on these boards and the recent changes in post tone and content.

I often chuckle when one of my observations or contributions is questioned because i have only occupied this form for a number of months and barely posted in the triple digits.

As to the potential consequences of my honesty, i can live with those.

I would suggest to the OP if he would like the genuine opinions of people below the age of 50 regarding what they do in Thailand he should approach some facebook groups where he can ensure that he does not receive input from disgruntled, bored or jaded retirees and can avoid the merry go round Sinsot and all thais are stupid topics that proliferate here.

while the news feeds here have improved somewhat they too do not hold a candle to what they were.

i apologize for derailing this thread, that was not my intent.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved here in 2003 when I was 25. It was a great move all in all, but adapting was tough (especially the first year).

There's been some really good advice on this thread. It's a good idea to come and 'check things out' without immediately making the big move. I decided to come for 6 months to see how things would go. I got some contract work while here and then just stayed. I had a good friend take care of things for me back home. Eventually he helped me sell my belongings there. I have done contract work on and off since then, but I also had to move to Laos on contract for a couple of years. Now I'm back in Thailand.

Reading your post made me think of myself when I was first contemplating a move. One thing I always kept in mind is, being young, if it doesn't work out, you can always move back. You've said you're not interested in starting a family at the moment, so that should keep things from getting a bit more complicated here.

Best wishes on your decision.

there is a sizeable population, especially in BKK. Mostly doing 'normal' jobs - multinational, NGO, freelance, (proper) international school teachers.

Join a sporting group (rugby, football/soccer, cricket, netball) and you'll meet them pretty quickly. Overtime you'll also meet quite a lot of overseas educated Thai's who speak English fluently and spent most of their first 30 years outside of Thailand.

While it is true many stay for a 2, 3 or 5 year stint, many people I know in that age group have decided to make Bangkok 'home'. A few left, lived in the west, and came back.

There are quite a few around in BKK at least, you just have to look.

My question is:

What do most of the under 50s do here?

what a silly question. what do people under 50 do anywhere?

Ummm retire at 35 --- take 10 years off --- move to a foreign country --- start working again at 45?

Your idea that TVF is just for retirees is kinda ludicrous, it certainly has a retiree component (a large one), but it also has tourists, worker bee's, business execs, and everything in between.

My question is:

What do most of the under 50s do here?

what a silly question. what do people under 50 do anywhere?

Ummm retire at 35 --- take 10 years off --- move to a foreign country --- start working again at 45?

Your idea that TVF is just for retirees is kinda ludicrous, it certainly has a retiree component (a large one), but it also has tourists, worker bee's, business execs, and everything in between.

i am aware of that, but the growing community of said retirees, and the vast amount of free time they have to post ad nauseum tend to drown out their younger brethren completely. their dated views on certain topics can also be a deterrent to realistic discussion.

as for the early retirement and beginning to work again, i resemble that remark, though only 42. i actually realized i enjoy working, but in an entirely different manner than before.

the question is another reworking of the "how long is a ball of string question". It depends whose ball. you stated as much yourself above, though i would discount tourists as they are contained in the other categories and, as transients often with a specific time frame and budget, beyond the scope of the op's question.

i repeat my earlier suggestion, that social networking sites provide an alternative to the free-for-all here on tv.

Samran is also spot on. if you loved a sport at home, look for like-minded people here.

making friends is the same wherever you go, do what you like, and you will meet like minded people.

Edited by nocturn

Hi guys,

I'm 33 year old and have a wealth of about $450k (AUD/USD - same same).

For me the question isn't do I want to live in Thailand, but when. I'm unsure whether I should stay in Farangland and try to earn as much as I can, or follow my dream and move soon.

I've spent 3 months in Thailand over the last 2 years and as well as basic pass-ah Thai conversation, I can read and pronounce Thai script that involve consonants and long vowels. Still alot more to learn obviously, but I love it.

If anyone has work available for a hardworking, optimistic, well educated Aussie with a skillset in IT Banking and telco project management and a friendly demeanor, you could very well make my decision easier :)

Thanks.

I'm 25 and I have a small house in Isaan (with the gf of course), been in and out of thailand since I was 21... I believe I'm probably one of the youngest white farang guys to do the Isaan thing. I can't stay there or in Bangkok for any protracted period of time just because it's so boring, but I still plan to visit occasionally while I begin my professional career here in the US.

Im in my 40s , I have my own business in Europe but I prefer to stay in LOS.

Thanks to the internet it really doesnt matter where I live as long as I can communicate with the world.

Came to Thailand when I was 28 and have been here for 6 years. I am working for a Thai company and no plans on heading back to USA anytime soon.

I was originally in the US Army and went back to university in US after getting out under the GI Bill. I did my first two years at university in the US and found out that Uncle Sam would still pay GI Bill if going to school overseas as long as the university and major were approved by the US Government. Did a little research and the IB program at Mahidol University was approved, so came over here for a semester abroad which later turned into finishing my degree here in Thailand.

I was able to find a good job with a good company here in Thailand, so we have continued to stay and build our lives here in Thailand. Otherwise, we would likely already be living in the USA.

Edited by CWMcMurray

I first came here when I was 20 years old in 1988, boy how it has changed!

I've always been afraid to start a business and don't want to run a bar so I go back every year for work.

I have a wife and child and have a nice place way up in Esaan near Laos.

I never know how long my next job's gonna be. I have to go back to UK next week for 8 months...ouch!!

It's hard being away from the family for long periods of time but I can't myself see any alternative, maybe farming... hard work..

People say it's boring up here but I absolutely love it. Been here 3 years now and went down to Phuket for Xmas. I was soooo glad to get back.

Also I've noticed more and more of a younger type up here although there are many over 60's.

Sh_t it's cold in London right now.... Bbbbbrrrrrrr!!!

Only reason i am still living here is for the sake of my Daughter as there is no way in the World i would leave her & her future in the hands, family or not, of Thai people.

I guess you mean you would not leave your daughter's upbringing in the hands of the particular Thai people that happen to make up her family, rather than any Thai people, otherwise it is a rather strange statement?

Yes, I noticed that too. A rather ignorant, stupid comment for MSingh to make. His wife/the girl's mother is Thai, the girl is Thai, i.e., he chose to have a relationship with a Thai and has a Thai daughter from that relationship. I would imagine the daughter in MSingh's hands would be much worse off than the "Thai people" that he's referring to.

I'm with MSingh

Asides from my wife, there are very few other Thai people I would trust to bring up my daughter. I want my girl to grow up having manners, respect and the self dignity to be independent. I want her to be able to think for herself and do stuff for herself. There's just not many Thai's about that fit the bill.

Only reason i am still living here is for the sake of my Daughter as there is no way in the World i would leave her & her future in the hands, family or not, of Thai people.

I guess you mean you would not leave your daughter's upbringing in the hands of the particular Thai people that happen to make up her family, rather than any Thai people, otherwise it is a rather strange statement?

Yes, I noticed that too. A rather ignorant, stupid comment for MSingh to make. His wife/the girl's mother is Thai, the girl is Thai, i.e., he chose to have a relationship with a Thai and has a Thai daughter from that relationship. I would imagine the daughter in MSingh's hands would be much worse off than the "Thai people" that he's referring to.

I'm with MSingh

Asides from my wife, there are very few other Thai people I would trust to bring up my daughter. I want my girl to grow up having manners, respect and the self dignity to be independent. I want her to be able to think for herself and do stuff for herself. There's just not many Thai's about that fit the bill.

Life must be pretty depressing for you, surrounded by so many Thais who do not meet your standards

I'm with MSingh

Life must be pretty depressing for you, surrounded by so many Thais who do not meet your standards

Yeah, it's a terrible existence wanting high standards to be met when it comes to my daughters upbringing, I'm not sure how I cope.

Now, where did I leave those rose tinted specs?