(How M)Any Expats In Their 30S Or 40S?

joorakee

Hi, everyone.

Haven’t posted on TV in awhile.

I suppose that the vast majority of the posters living in the Land of Smiles permanently are retired but I wonder how many expats there are in their 30s and 40s.

I am still hesitating but thinking about moving to LOS for a year or longer. I know that finding a job (and especially working as a freelancer) might be slightly more difficult than back home, I have read topics on appropriate subforums (those concerning employment, visas, etc.) but I believe that where there is a will, there is a way. And I assume that if I managed to spend several years in Japan, it should also go with Thailand.

I know that many people will say that it is better to work hard in one’s country until retirement and then move to Thailand but I’m of the opinion that:

1) It depends on where you come from. Not every country gives you a chance of getting a pension of 60.000 baht (and the rules may change in the future). BTW, my home country is Poland.

I know some Japanese people who gave up their careers in Japan and I know that there are such immigrants from many other countries. Some of them work in Thailand and some don’t work (those who live on their savings, passive income, ForEx, etc.). And I dare to say that an average Japanese (or American/German/British…) national in his most productive years has much more to lose (for example, the future pension) than an average Pole who decides to leave his country.

2) Some people would like to enjoy life while young. What if you save money and invest all your life in order to retire in LOS and it turns out that after getting old you have health problems and aren’t interested in entertainment any more (I mean travelling, doing marine sports, hanging out in night clubs, etc.)? My grandfather who deceased at the age of 94 had enjoyed life until his early 80s but he might be an exception.

3) Earning about 50.000-70.000 baht a month should enable a farang to live a decent (modest but comfortable) life. I don’t need a luxurious car (a small motorcycle like Yamaha Nuovo will be enough) or a big condominium (a small apartment in the vicinity of BTS – in case of Bangkok – will do).

4) I can go back to my home country (or move to another European country or Japan) and start working again any time but it’s better to begin my Thai adventure now, when I’m 32 years old, than when I ‘m 42.

5) Being able to speak and write the Thai language at least at the upper-intermediate level should make it much easier to find a good job (or start some business on your own), it will also make your private life much more pleasurable.

The main reason why I’m still hesitating is that I like some aspects of living in Europe. I like spending the summer in Poland. But you couldn’t force me to spend the whole winter in Central Europe against my will (I “migrate” seasonally in January and February).

I hope you understand what I’m going to say. And I know that some people will disagree with the statements above. Everybody has different priorities.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let me address #3&4 at the same time. I came to Thailand when I was 30, and have lived/worked here for half a decade. From the beginning I had no intention of continuing in my previous career and so accepted a hefty pay cut.

There were things I liked about Canada, having lived there all my life I really enjoyed the weather etc. but I knew to be true to myself I had to at least try living in Thailand, lest I look back on life at age 50 and realize not trying was a big regret.

Nobody can really decide fir you, just make sure you have ample information and look before you leap.

I live permanently in Thailand, and am 38 years old. I love it, and have no immediate plans to return to the US. I can barely comprehend the idea of snow anymore. When I speak to someone back in the US and they mention the cold, I can't resist rubbing in their face that it is as hot now as their summer is.

Anyway, I say, do it. You will never regret it. I have loved every minute of being here. There are small frustrations, but no different than in the US, just of a different nature. The good far outweighs the bad.

I first moved to Thailand when I was 46. Did an early retirement and had a great time. Tried to go back and work in the US a few years later, but it was horrible. So...living on less and enjoying Thailand. I'm 53 now.

My only advise is to make sure you have enough to live on. I can't imagine having to go back to work in 10 years because I didn't have enough money to live on....

My question is:

What do most of the under 50s do here?

I know a few people here in Thailand under 50, most off them are offhore workers.

Work 1 month and in Thailand 1 month,.

To me that is great as I get to live in Thaialnd and also get a break from Thailand.

FD

I suppose that the vast majority of the posters living in the Land of Smiles permanently are retired but I wonder how many expats there are in their 30s and 40s.

Maybe in Pattaya the majority are retired, but outside of it no. Loads of people in their 30s and 40s. 20s too.

There are lots of us here. Most of us have families and real jobs. I have come across the odd English teacher who is still below retirement age, but nearly everyone I know who is under 50 are normal people and they have some kind of a managerial position or position of responsibility with a Thai or multinational company.

Personally I'd like to see more younger expats over here. Nothing against the retirees, but I simply can't relate to most of them. My concerns are about job security, raising my children, and preparing for hard times that I know are coming in a decade or two. It is hard for me to relate to someone whose main concern is where they are going to eat lunch tomorrow, which hospital has the best prostate cancer program, how many languages their gardener speaks and no concern for the longer term global outlook.

If you really want to live in Thailand, the only option right now is to get to Thailand today, get a job, and get permanent residency. The economy of the West is crumbling. If you are in your 30's or 40's today, there is almost zero probability that you will have a retirement pension of 60,000 baht per month in a few decades. The era where that was practical is winding down quickly. The West is on a trajectory to ruin.

Your best bet is to make 80k per month domestically so you can qualify for PR in a few years. Then you'll be ready without the concern of being expelled from the country for insufficient funds when you reach the age of retirement.

You will have to give up some aspects of Western culture if you want to live here. It is too expensive to do otherwise. It's a trade off each one of us has to make for himself.

I came here the first time in 1982 on R&R, then several times thereafter until I settled here at the age of 31 in 1987.

I am fortunate that I travel extensively with my work and as long as I have access to the outside world, which was fax and telephone in the 80's and 90's and now internet, then I can base myself where ever I like.

I think travelling regularly has made living in Thailand easier for me.

The phenomenon of under 40 retirees is relatively new here.

I personally can't imagine retiring or settling here under the age of 40 unless I was financially secure, employed or physically unable to work, but had sufficient resources.

Hi,

Just remember, " Tomorrow is promised to no one". It's latin, it was told to me many times by my grandmother, and I have always kept it in my heart. I am sure i should be referencing the original author, however not sure who it is.

Made the move at 38.

Live for today...

:jap:

I came here when i was 31 now im 36 Its great here and sure there are a lot of old guys but they are usually in pattaya with younger girls. In BKK and outside of it there are enough 30 and 40iers. You can work here but it is hard.

Right...only old guys in Pattaya with young gals. Hardly any in Udon, CM, Phuket.... <_<

Ridiculous...

70 K bath is not a misery. let say it is close to 2 000 euros et more than 2 000 $.

Many in US or in EU do not earn that; on the same time that is also way over the legal salary for a foreign teacher, and way over the minimal salary related to you nationality.

That said, it is sure 70 K will not allow you to eat inrestaurant every evening + spend quality time with the NANA' hostess, while saving something for when you will be old. So you can call it modesty (PC word for poor life style) but ...

On the other hand, from experience, 70 K a month will allow you to buy a 30 years lease for a small (90 squre metters) villa in Rawai beach (Phuket), while hving still enought left to substanciate a normal life style (personal experience of mine actually).

But it took me time to land a decent job with that salary, so maybe it is explaning why I am already 49 y old.

There are lots of us here. Most of us have families and real jobs. I have come across the odd English teacher who is still below retirement age, but nearly everyone I know who is under 50 are normal people and they have some kind of a managerial position or position of responsibility with a Thai or multinational company.

Personally I'd like to see more younger expats over here. Nothing against the retirees, but I simply can't relate to most of them. My concerns are about job security, raising my children, and preparing for hard times that I know are coming in a decade or two. It is hard for me to relate to someone whose main concern is where they are going to eat lunch tomorrow, which hospital has the best prostate cancer program, how many languages their gardener speaks and no concern for the longer term global outlook.

If you really want to live in Thailand, the only option right now is to get to Thailand today, get a job, and get permanent residency. The economy of the West is crumbling. If you are in your 30's or 40's today, there is almost zero probability that you will have a retirement pension of 60,000 baht per month in a few decades. The era where that was practical is winding down quickly. The West is on a trajectory to ruin.

Your best bet is to make 80k per month domestically so you can qualify for PR in a few years. Then you'll be ready without the concern of being expelled from the country for insufficient funds when you reach the age of retirement.

You will have to give up some aspects of Western culture if you want to live here. It is too expensive to do otherwise. It's a trade off each one of us has to make for himself.

GregB, you hit a sore spot with me. I love living in Thailand, but I also have a hard time relating to the retirees. I work for an international company, and I brought my 2 kids here recently, who were born and raised in the US. My concerns are for them, then me, for the future and for now. I worry about college for them, and (oddly) retirement for me. I can't drink beer at 9am until 2pm, take a nap, then drink some more, day in day out. I have a job and have to work.

Nothing against the retirees at all, they put their time in, worked hard to live in peace and are lucky enough to be able to live here in Thailand. But, often times I need to hang out with someone close to my own age, with similar concerns and interests, and with similar lifestyles. My brother is retired and living here in Thailand, out in a small farming community near Kanchanaburi. He is only 47. I will tell you, he is starved for excitement or just living. He calls me and rambles for an hour. He begs me to visit and when I do, he seems to tell me the same stories I have heard a hundred times. I am in the process of opening up a small restaurant/bar for him to run, just to keep him sane, and to keep him busy.

To the OP, if you do come here at this age, try to find something to do other than chasing the next skirt and the next beer. It will be great for a couple of years, but then it gets a little old. I don't even hear the calls of "handsome man" and "where you go?" anymore. Find a hobby, find a business to run, get a job, find something to get you up in the morning, keep your mind working. Otherwise, you may find yourself 40 and bored and looking for the next thing to amuse you.

Edited by floridaguy

My question is:

What do most of the under 50s do here?

I chose Finance. 1+1=2 everywhere around the world, if I ever need to head back to Canada, my work experience will carry over with me. (a dissimilar occupation would be dentistry, even as a practicing dentist here you'd still have to pass a barrage of exams elsewhere in the world)

More and more people will come to Thailand because they can't find jobs. But business must be growing here as well, right? Will more companies want to set up here too? Will it balance out? I wonder how the Thai govt will respond to a surge in emigration.

More and more people will come to Thailand because they can't find jobs. But business must be growing here as well, right? Will more companies want to set up here too? Will it balance out? I wonder how the Thai govt will respond to a surge in emigration.

Have you seen the refugee camps along the Burmese border? :lol:

I say go for it. First came here when I was 21 and moved here a little over a year later. I’m 56 now and have had a great life here. First 30 years were in Bangkok and now the last few in Chiang Rai.

If it is not going to workout, you will know soon enough. Never know if you don’t try. ;)

Just IMO but it's an unnecessary uphill battle unless you qualify for the BOI visa, you're Thai (or are in some position where gaining citizenship is possible), or you're a young retiree who doesn't mind the unstable immigration situation because it doesn't otherwise affect your income streams or work/personal life.

:)

I've got plenty of friends here in their late 30's and early 40's. Most of them have come over with multinationals, so eventually move on. But new ones come over to replace them.

I came here about 4 years ago when I turned 40. I came here to sell logistics software that my company writes in Aus. Didn't do so well in the first year, but got some other work doing project management at a bank. Now I'm selling the software again.

I don't plan on going back to Aus.

Ok lemme help ya out on this one a lil.

I'm 35 now, I came here when I was 26. I have every intention on spending the rest of my life in Thailand.

I don't know about you personally but WORKING here for someone may probably not be your best bet. Especially being Polish. You may score a low paying English teaching job because of the colour of your skin, however they will likely wanna pay you pennies because of the colour of your Passport.

Best thing to do is to come for awhile and look at what kind of business opportunities you can realistically see yourself doing. I started off with a shop selling shawarma on Walking Street in Pattaya makin like 40,000 baht a month, back in 02. Since then I sold Time share, had corn dog stands, play station video game cafe's, what ever I could do to make a buck. Those were hard years. Fun but hard. Then I left for some contracting work in the mid east and reinvested more cash here.

Now I'm doing a bunch of stuff, and admittedly most of my cash comes from offshore contracting work I continue to do in the Middle East, however I am doing more and more good business locally by;

1) Exporting niche products made here locally, overseas to developing markets (particularly vehicle accessories to Africa)

2) Importing Cosmetics and developing cosmetics Agencies (from the USA) and selling locally here on-line with the help of my Wife (who is Thai)

Experiences wise I'm looking at around 100,000-120,000 baht that includes a new (2yrs old) 3br house in BKK on a short mortgage, a new mid range car, bills, going out, shopping, every day married life without really worring about what we spend. Thats gonna get much more expensive as we have kids and do a decent school for them but for now this is what I got and I would say this is comfortable for me. I want more sure, but this is otherwise comfortable. on 50K your options are limited. Really look carefully and spend a year hear with a back up plan for home before you decide to commit.

I do wish you all the best of luck! And I hope ya make it and do big things :)

<snip>

My brother is retired and living here in Thailand, out in a small farming community near Kanchanaburi. He is only 47. I will tell you, he is starved for excitement or just living. He calls me and rambles for an hour. He begs me to visit and when I do, he seems to tell me the same stories I have heard a hundred times. I am in the process of opening up a small restaurant/bar for him to run, just to keep him sane, and to keep him busy.

Great point. One reason I didn't move out in the sticks also. We live south of Pattaya and love being near a larger city with entertainment options...and a large expat community to hang out with.

In my moo baan, a good portion of the residents are in their 30's and 40's. And a good portion of those are "offshore" workers. Great fun when they are in town, and not bad when they are gone as it's usually just me and my wife and all the other gals! I'm the designated chaperon. :D

It was really hard for me to live in Thailand in my mid 40's due to visa problems. So we traveled around a lot and didn't take up permanent residency there. But now, with the retirement visa option, it's great! Never thought I would say being over 50 was great! :huh:

Many of my close friends are quite older than me, and retired. We have fun, but it would be nice to have some buds my age who don't work. Not many around...