Get Rid Of The Crossings On Beach Road

thaimate

A fortune has been made ,sorry i mean spent on the crossings along beach road that nobody seems to bother to use and drivers dont stop at anyway.

It would have been far far better if all the rental motorbikes were removed and the extra space used to build some decent pavements along Beach road ,the the punters could walk on them rather than walking in the roads.

The way they operate at the weekends, i.e. with lights set to flashing orange for motorists and red for pedestrians, they actually take away the pedestrians right of way to cross which he had, in theory at least, before the lights were implemented. Crossing where there is a clear red light showing to say do not cross must surely make the pedestrian liable if he gets hit. It doesn't hurt any less to get run over when you know you are in the right but at least you knew the cars should have stopped. I notice a lot of the grinning mayor pictures which accompanied the lights up to last week seem to have disappeared! Maybe he can see it's a bit of a c*ck-up as well!

Pray tell how else are folks supposed to cross the road, admittedly using the crossing is no less dangerous that just marching into the middle of the road, but perhaps it will make the driver who didn't stop will feel some guilt when your laid out on the slab :unsure:

I dont know if you drive or not ,but i do and nearly every day down beach road ,tourists and locals dont seem to bother with the lights just cross anywhere same as they did before, and as for feeling guilty ,if your hit by a bike as my car was ,the bugger just pissed off as fast as he could.

The way they operate at the weekends, i.e. with lights set to flashing orange for motorists and red for pedestrians, they actually take away the pedestrians right of way to cross which he had, in theory at least, before the lights were implemented. Crossing where there is a clear red light showing to say do not cross must surely make the pedestrian liable if he gets hit. It doesn't hurt any less to get run over when you know you are in the right but at least you knew the cars should have stopped. I notice a lot of the grinning mayor pictures which accompanied the lights up to last week seem to have disappeared! Maybe he can see it's a bit of a c*ck-up as well!

There is a button for the pedestrians to press when they want to cross, which almost instantly makes the sign change to red for cars and green for pedestrians.

But most pedestrians seems not bothered.

There is a button for the pedestrians to press when they want to cross, which almost instantly makes the sign change to red for cars and green for pedestrians.

But most pedestrians seems not bothered.

Only when they are working properly. Just about every weekend they switch the buttons off and they don't work.

^ If that is really the case then it is indeed stupid and pointless to put up the lights in the first place!

Yes, off again this evening around 5.30, I crossed the road using the lights right outside the police station to go into Central shopping mall........flashing orange, I pushed the button, just in case, waited about a minute as solid traffic passed me just to give them a chance to change but nothing happened and eventually just made my way through the traffic as usual, but felt horribly exposed walking across amongst the cars against a red light. Much happier and feel safer crossing away from the lights. Well done Pattaya City!

As i said originally ,they would be better off doing the pavements so someone larger than a dwarf can walk on them

But that would mean having to use common sense. :blink:

After all my years in Thailand ,why didnt i think of that :D ,now i can see why they dont do it.

As i said originally ,they would be better off doing the pavements so someone larger than a dwarf can walk on them

Wider pavements will just give the vendors more area to set up shop. The bike renters will just bring in more bikes. The traffic problems in Pattaya are a result of no enforcement. You can have all the lights and laws you want, but if no one will enforce them they're a total waste of time. Even back at home if there was no enforcement the end result would be exactly the same.

As long as the police force is so corrupt don't expect anything to change.

Would it not be easier to just ban all traffic (except for Baht buses and motorcys) from Pattaya Klang to the Pattaya Tai/Second Road lights ?

I can think of very few reasons why a car would need to travel that section of Beach Road.

To travel South when exiting the new Central Festival Plaza, Mike's or Royal Garden Plaza, not to mention the numerous one way streets from Second Road down to Beach Road,as Second Rd. is only 1 way heading North.

I don't use the crossings myself because I think it is more dangerous to use the crossings than to do the "normal" dodge and run. I wish it was different, but local drivers simply can't be trusted. My life is more important to me than being a guinea pig for this experiment.