Advice: Laptop To Buy

ChiangMaiFun

First you will have to 'up' your budget to 40k - you are not going to get a good machine for 30k.

Asus is the only way to go here in Thailand (and elsewhere) due to their reliability and service/backup

No sense in going for a large screen - just more to carry around/heavier - a 14" is sufficient - then when you want to play games plug in a large monitor although I have no problem with 14"

I have an Asus N82J which ticks all your boxes. Has Blu-ray and the new(?) Nvidia 'Optimus' switchable graphics card - save power.

One requirement you did missed out is USB 3 - this is now a must and 2011 will see all the new hardware come with USB 3

First you will have to 'up' your budget to 40k - you are not going to get a good machine for 30k.

Asus is the only way to go here in Thailand (and elsewhere) due to their reliability and service/backup

No sense in going for a large screen - just more to carry around/heavier - a 14" is sufficient - then when you want to play games plug in a large monitor although I have no problem with 14"

I have an Asus N82J which ticks all your boxes. Has Blu-ray and the new(?) Nvidia 'Optimus' switchable graphics card - save power.

One requirement you did missed out is USB 3 - this is now a must and 2011 will see all the new hardware come with USB 3

Hi - thanks - it's made where? what about the graphics card? 1gb? how much did you pay? I want to play Call of Duty Black Ops on it + normal surfing - yes I could link it to my 55 inch LED I guess - thanks - it is a i7??? cheers

Hi - thanks - it's made where? what about the graphics card? 1gb? how much did you pay? I want to play Call of Duty Black Ops on it + normal surfing - yes I could link it to my 55 inch LED I guess - thanks - it is a i7??? cheers

Asus is based in Korea. The graphics Nvida card is the latest switchable ie if not using it for heavy gaming it shuts part of it down to conserve power (veryclever and what all cards will be doing) I picked it up for 40k and has all the usual high end outlets to connect to your large HD tv screen. Note : the specs for the N82J model we get in Thailand is higher than (say) Singapore :-)

Based on my recent experiences, I'd have to recommend the latest DELL models. Reasonably priced, well built and good specs. My Inspiron N5010 is excellent and works really well with Windows 7, am using this more now than my main desktop!

I got it from Fortune Town, in the main open area where all the computer shops are, there's a "Dell" shop on the 2nd (3rd?) floor who were way cheaper than anyone else I'd seen and I thought I got quite a good bargain overall.

Any decent computer sales man or technician would never recommend a Dell. They are a marketing company selling cheapo computer that "look good"

Asus is a Taiwanese company that have been making computer hardware since the original 486's They make components for Mac, ipod and a whole other range. There quaility is excellent and is why they give a 2 years global warranty on their computers.

Another good Taiwanese brand is MSI if you are looking for a powerful 15.6 inch gaming laptop I saw an MSI for sale for 45,000 baht. Im pretty sure MSI is offering the 2 year warranty too.

If you want to play any of the recent games then you need a gaming laptop. They have the fastest cpu's, RAM, graphic cards etc and run anything else supper fast too.

If you buy a dell dont come crying here when a button comes out, of something else falls off and your hard drive stops working... or your battery catches on fire. You may survive the el cheapo experince but for what? to save a few thousand baht? Would you buy a korean car when you could have a Japanese one?

Dell is the way to go!-for me at least.

I have a japanese friend whose entire family members have been loyal customer of dell, and I also have owned one for 3 years along with a couple of other brands.

Never had a problem, maybe we've been extremely lucky? :rolleyes:

Oh by the way, this jap guy is an I.T guy. :whistling:

Cheers. :D

I went for the Dell XPS i7

nVidia 2gb

4gb RAM

640 gb HD

USB 3

15.6 inch

It won over the Asus as had 1gb more memory on graphic card and a bigger screen (1.6 inches) and a better i7.

All at 37,000 and the IT experts at the Plaza recommended it over the Asus - not better quality - same they say - but better spec for same money

Any decent computer sales man or technician would never recommend a Dell. They are a marketing company selling cheapo computer that "look good"

That is total crap najman, you obviously know nothing about what you are talking about and must be on commission from Asus.

Dell quality has improved considerably over the last 5 years and I would put them on a par with (if not better than) nearly all other models/brands out there now. If you've used as many pc's/apple's as I have over the years you'd know which ones are good and which aren't and a simple poll of my friends who have laptops puts Dell on top hands down over HP, Toshiba, Acer, Asus, Samsung or any other brand you care to name.

As far as I am concerned, right now Dell beats everyone on quality, value for money and reliability.

That is total crap najman, you obviously know nothing about what you are talking about and must be on commission from Asus.

Dell quality has improved considerably over the last 5 years and I would put them on a par with (if not better than) nearly all other models/brands out there now. If you've used as many pc's/apple's as I have over the years you'd know which ones are good and which aren't and a simple poll of my friends who have laptops puts Dell on top hands down over HP, Toshiba, Acer, Asus, Samsung or any other brand you care to name.

As far as I am concerned, right now Dell beats everyone on quality, value for money and reliability.

Dell looked great to me - i shall find out - I'm getting one because my Toshiba died on me - it has been rubbish from the start and my small BenQ hangs constantly

The Dell had superior spec to the Asus