Bought A Hot Water Heater--Scam Or Not?

mild7even

Siam TV salesman showed us a hot water heater discounted from around 7000 baht to 5000 baht. Looked like a fine deal so we bought it.

Technicians came and installed it; hot water works, should be end of story.

However, after a couple days we start getting phone calls from Siam TV that they installed the wrong water heater and would send some techs by to remove it, and install the actual water heater we bought.

Techs show up and the water heater they have is an inferior model; they tell us if we want to keep the installed model, we have to pay another 2000 baht.

If it wasn't Siam TV (many purchases in the past with no problem) I would immediately say a scam.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance for any perspective....

Smells like a scam to me, perhaps not from Siam TV but rather from either the installer or vendor. Perhaps the installer was supposed to try to sell you an "upgrade," and has found that the easiest way is to install the good heater and come back, thinking that most will simply pay the extra 2k baht.

You say the replacement one is "inferior." Well, if the one installed is as advertised and the one that the "are going to replace it with" is not as advertised--that's pretty much proof of a scam.

Sounds like a twist on "bait and switch," but in this case it's "switch and then bait." Very weird.

I would say that if you like it, keep it. If you want to pay, then pay.

Siam TV did not try and scam you I'm sure :)

No, they're not scam merchants but the management have some pretty rigid (and misguided) ideas about how to deal with customers when they make a mistake.

I bought a nice new fridge from them about six months ago. We were buying a slightly different model to the one on the floor but checked with the sales guy to ensure ours had the same number of shelves as the unit he showed us. Two men came next day and struggled to get it through a narrow door and set up in our kitchen whereupon we find it is missing a shelf. This model only has three, they tell us. Luckily, I hadn't paid even a deposit so it came down to: leave us the fridge and I'll pay 90% of the price and the balance when you bring the shelf (available as a spare from the manufacturer, they said) or take it away. They decided to take it away, lost the sale, ruined the packaging and wasted the best part of three hours and some gas.

Dumb.

I would say that if you like it, keep it. If you want to pay, then pay.

Siam TV did not try and scam you I'm sure :)

No, they're not scam merchants but the management have some pretty rigid (and misguided) ideas about how to deal with customers when they make a mistake.

I bought a nice new fridge from them about six months ago. We were buying a slightly different model to the one on the floor but checked with the sales guy to ensure ours had the same number of shelves as the unit he showed us. Two men came next day and struggled to get it through a narrow door and set up in our kitchen whereupon we find it is missing a shelf. This model only has three, they tell us. Luckily, I hadn't paid even a deposit so it came down to: leave us the fridge and I'll pay 90% of the price and the balance when you bring the shelf (available as a spare from the manufacturer, they said) or take it away. They decided to take it away, lost the sale, ruined the packaging and wasted the best part of three hours and some gas.

Dumb.

thumbsup.gif

lets be frank , i am sur eyou know better what you had BUY ,

if it a wrong model i don't see any Scam here . who is right who is wrong we set this aside first .

i would ask the first question .

Is this the Model of water heater that you AGREE upon when you BUy it .

IF yes . YOU Keep it and is SiamTV LOST .

IF NO , Is up to you to see if you want to Take advantage .

it also depend if there ask me nicely .

at the end of the Days . is believe in being Fair . aif it Happen to me . and there DID install a wrong model . i would be more then happy to let them reinstall what i Paid for and not Gain anything out of it .

i do not like to take advantage of people same apply that i do not like people to take advantage of us .

Shitt happen

Edited by Ta22

Not once but twice we had a similar problem with Siam TV. First a TV and then a washing machine. In both cases they tried to deliver a slightly different model than the model we were shown when we made the purchase. Both times they went back and brought the correct model when we pointed it out. At the time we just assumed it was lack of attention to detail as opposed to a scam but you never know.

if it a wrong model i don't see any Scam here . who is right who is wrong we set this aside first .

Shitt happen

Well said...one of the few sensible comment in this forum... :jap:

Smells like a scam to me, perhaps not from Siam TV but rather from either the installer or vendor. Perhaps the installer was supposed to try to sell you an "upgrade," and has found that the easiest way is to install the good heater and come back, thinking that most will simply pay the extra 2k baht.

You say the replacement one is "inferior." Well, if the one installed is as advertised and the one that the "are going to replace it with" is not as advertised--that's pretty much proof of a scam.

Sounds like a twist on "bait and switch," but in this case it's "switch and then bait." Very weird.

I agree sounds like a scam to me.

HoweverI don't believe Siam would do it.

I tend to believe it was the installer.

Shitt happen

Well said...one of the few sensible comment in this forum... :jap:

TA22 is correct. It is really straight forward. Just check your bill and the heater they installed to confirm whether or not they installed the model that you paid for. If they installed the model you paid for, keep it. If not, then you should let them change it and accept what you paid for since it is your fault because you let them install something you did not buy. If you try to keep the wrong more expensive unit but then it would be you who is pulling the scam.

If the switch was made by the installer, he is a Siam TV employee or agent and Siam TV is responsible. What really matters is the model number of what you got and the model number on the bill you paid. If there is no model number on the bill, that is your failure.

Edited by Dante99

Check your receipt - should have the model number. If it does have the same model number you have installed, then they installed the right one - call the manager and have a friendly chat with him.

If they actually installed one that's not yours then I'd just take the inferior one or pay up - TIT. Obviously this wouldn't happen back home, and Siam TV is old school and surely has to still learn a lot about customer service. I'd still have a talk with the manager, actually - it's a bit ridiculous that they make a mistake and you end up having to pay for it with your valuable time.

In any case - keep smiling!!!!!! It's just a water heater. And TIT.

One thing I am sure about: It's not a scam. That would be the worst scam in the world.

PS: When I bought a bunch of stuff at Siam TV recently I took pictures of all the price tags (which also have the model numbers on them). When they came and installed it, I cross checked everything - TIT, after all.

Turns out the TV they installed just didn't work - returned within 7 days, and got a brand new one right there and then, was pretty trouble-free.

But, Siam TV is still an old school Thai business so many things are quite inefficient - payment takes forever, for example. You can't just whip out your credit card and pay, there's loads of forms to fill out (for them - you just wait) and things to sign etc - it makes absolutely no sense.

If you are not sure whether this is a scam or not, put the technicians on hold and visit the store to check it out yourself.

If you were sold the wrong water heater in error, then do as some posters have mentioned, either speak with the manager, except the cheaper model, pay the difference or keep the present model and refuse to pay the difference saying hard cheese it`s they're loss.

It`s up to your discretion, so what's the problem?

Personally, if it is an error on the part of the store, I would pay the extra, cut out all the agro and keep your good name with the store.

Edited by Beetlejuice

have you guys forget how to be Decent people ?

instead of trying to find a solution for a problem all i see is suggestion on way how to get some kinda some advantage.

That really depends on if they feel they were tricked.. I mean the receipt model number may actually be for a inferior model, but if they were shown the superior model at sale time, and paid the money on the basis of the one they were shown and had installed who checks to see if its model FD3078B or model FD3068B on the receipt ?? The fact it was then installed no longer gives them a choice to refuse.

If they clearly bought an inferior one and knew it.. then sure pay more or take the one they bought.. But from the amount of posts above with people saying this company tried to sell and switch on delivery to inferior or products missing something, and the way the poster seems to feel in this case, I would say its the companies issue and they should stock control better.

How many times has the company switched people to different models, you think the company goes around getting in touch and refunding them a few weeks later without asking ??

have you guys forget how to be Decent people ?

instead of trying to find a solution for a problem all i see is suggestion on way how to get some kinda some advantage.

That really depends on if they feel they were tricked.. I mean the receipt model number may actually be for a inferior model, but if they were shown the superior model at sale time, and paid the money on the basis of the one they were shown and had installed who checks to see if its model FD3078B or model FD3068B on the receipt ?? The fact it was then installed no longer gives them a choice to refuse.

If they clearly bought an inferior one and knew it.. then sure pay more or take the one they bought.. But from the amount of posts above with people saying this company tried to sell and switch on delivery to inferior or products missing something, and the way the poster seems to feel in this case, I would say its the companies issue and they should stock control better.

How many times has the company switched people to different models, you think the company goes around getting in touch and refunding them a few weeks later without asking ??

It is not about how they feel, it is about whether or not they were scammed which is easily verifiable by checking the model numbers on the unit and on the receipt. If the receipt is not for the unit they were shown, they should have caught it before paying.

Who checks their receipts? A lot of people do carefully. It is not different from checking your bank book to confirm that your deposit was credited properly before leaving the teller window.

Thai companies often deliver the wrong thing and this is common knowledge. The ones who get it right consistently are exceptional.

To confirm it wasn't a scam by the installers, the wife went to the see the original salesman. He was very relieved, very appreciative that she came in--turns out he was the one who made the mistake and he was on the hook for it.

The heater we purchased was the one we were shown; the one that was originally installed; and the one on the receipt. But the salesman apparently just screwed it up and quoted/wrote up the wrong price.

We allowed the installers to come and remove the unit and replace it with the inferior model. The difference is negligible enough that it still suits our purposes.

Our karma is in good condition, and we accept that it was an honest mistake rather than a scam.

However, as someone else pointed out, what are they going to do with the unit that was already installed and used? The packaging was already destroyed even if it was only used for a couple days.

I am in the market for a flat screen TV and was set on Siam TV before this. But considering the amount of additional time I spent on the issue, and the lingering doubts as to the condition of equipment sold as "new", I will have to reconsider.

Thanks all for the input.

7even

M7E you are a good person and have a trusting soul..........however in the future consider 'caveat emptor' (buyer beware).

Ten years ago my wife was taken advantage of by Siam TV and to this day will not enter their premises. A Thai woman scammed can be fierce.

Also involving a water heater she bought as NEW. It ceased to function after one month......a technician investigating found it to be a RECONDITIONED unit that was mechanically worn out/not repairable. It looked new on the exterior however no warranty. 3000 baht ten years ago to a working woman was a lot of money.

Since that time we have given our business to Niyom Phanich on Mahidol and Lotus Hang Dong. We may pay more but the product and service is excellent.

Roger