Chiang Mai Area Mtb Single Track

T_Dog

ThaiVisa member Drtreelove showed me some of his single track haunts northeast of Maejo University and it is indeed a treasure of an area. Fairly technical so you have to think, no huge climbs, and hours of trails to explore. Here are two kmz files for Google Earth that get you into the areas, but be advised, you can easily get lost with the many trails and intersections. Take a GPS or remember your turns. The kmz file named "Trail Entry" is the best one and it is on an old and now deteriorating interpretative trail system which is all single track. The "Easy Trails" kmz is wider and easier riding. This area needs to be on any mountain biker's radar if they like single track, and there is more up on the ridge we never got to. It's called the Bann Bpong community area and it feels very remote.

post-498-0-05502800-1293172692_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-04373600-1293172739_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-51600700-1293172772_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-78519200-1293172801_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-94775400-1293172831_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-00631600-1293172864_thumb.jpg

Easy Trails.kmz

Trail Entry.kmz

Maejo Ride Center.kmz

Yeah T, Thanks for joining me. Now you know why I like living out here, to have track like that out my front door.

I'd sure like to know if anyone knows this area better than I do and can help me find a through route that I've heard about, where we can ride for a couple of hours or more up into the hills.

Yeah T, Thanks for joining me. Now you know why I like living out here, to have track like that out my front door.

I'd sure like to know if anyone knows this area better than I do and can help me find a through route that I've heard about, where we can ride for a couple of hours or more up into the hills.

Dr... I am sure there is a single track trail from your turf that goes all the way to the road that passes from Mae Taeng's Bua Tong Waterfall to the dam near Doi Saket. We've taken that road on the motorcycle and then ferried across the dam after calling the ferry from Sa Luang Nua. Next time we ride, we should just keep working our way north and see where we end up. Great ride the other day, and surprising how little interest there is in riding single track. Guess we have it all to ourselves! You might try the GT-Rider website to see if any trail riders know this area better than you do. You might just be the only expert out there!

Edited by T_Dog

T, I don't know that lack of immediate replies on Christmas means that no one is interested in single track, off the beaten track, in the hills on the eastern side of the valley. I think there are many here who would like to ride it, but if they are like me, they are more interested in riding than in social networking, and if they don't know it already, you've given them all they need to know to find this spot on their next day out.

I rode up there this morning and it was crisp and cool. I'm itching for Doi Pui summit to Mae Sa valley this week, or the super sweet XC route that takes off from the HTT downhill and goes scenic, up and down and around and out to Mae Rim; maybe the best XC ride on the mountain. The uphills are not quite as guelling as Site B jungle bottom to the ridge above Ban Mae Sa Mai, but there are two hills that will surely get my old ass off pushing my bike in some spots. I haven't ridden it since my 'incident', so I'm excited to be getting back in shape and see what condition the trails are in now. It's all good just being out there and deep breathin the mountain air.

the super sweet XC route that takes off from the HTT downhill and goes scenic, up and down and around and out to Mae Rim; maybe the best XC ride on the mountain.

I rode this route solo this morning; it is sooo nice. There are some turns that you have to be shown - unless you have it on your GPS. I use my sophisticated technical navigation system I call RATTR (ride and try to remember).

There is a lot of holiday visitors and vehicles on the mountain today and probably will be tomorrow too, campers at Doi Pui campground to CMU Site A coffee farm, but after that it was the Meo and me. dc