2011 Pajero Sport Minor Change

Bought the brown pjs at rama3,soi24...

Same freebies as mr chun who never replies to me by mail or phone.

Im not advertising here, or getting commission or so, he is just a great guy :P

Ps. Even more extra freebie which is a very special one ;)

Now i have to wait 2 or 3 days (he has connections hehe) and it arrives and another 2 or 3 days for customizing it, next week my NEW ride. Woohoo.

Would like to thank everyone here for their answers on my questions and posting usefull info, in special Khun MRO.

Will post pics when i get the new ride :-)

Cheers,

Hans.

Edited by hansje

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit off topic but tried looking for the thread about the rusty underside Pajero we talked about a few months back. Really want to ask the guy what happened with Mitsu or was it a wind-up. Any info ? or perhaps the OP of the thread can come on board. :)

rusty underside Pajero

which is exactly what the extra freebie is for my new car at my dealer , no rust under car and behind wheels

can even drive through salty seawater without washing afterwards... 5yr warrenty as well, just 2000 baht i believe, some kind of coating or so :s

• 3 weeks later...

How the does the Alpine head-unit in the new Pajeros interface with USB based Apple products like iPods and such. Is there a way to play audio and video content from say and iPod or iPhone on the stereo system in the Pajero? Also, how is the media controlled, from the iPod's controls or the Alpine unit?

There is a full-speed iPod adaptor available from Alpine, which gives you iPod/iPhone control from the touch screen (~1500 THB). You'll need another smaller adaptor to go in-line with this if using an iPhone (to support charging). There's two different USB modules that can plug straight in and play MP3's from USB sticks, a bluetooth module for phone integration, and at least two options for built-in touch-screen compatible GPS (Alpine and Kamaz).

However, for GPS I'd still recommend going for a standalone unit like the Garmin Nuvi's - that way you can have both displays active at the same time, rather than being forced to select only one for viewing.

Seems the standard USB cable is not good enough for the new generation of Ipod Nano (with touch screen). Just upgraded it and there is some problem with it, I cannot skip from track to track with the main unit and at the end of the podcast playing, there is an error on the main unit screen.

About the GPS, the Alpine unit i have is in the glove box, connected to the main screen, but I can also use it stand alone. It is not the case for you?

What about the road. :huh::D

Yep, that's the whole point. Navi built into the stereo (or mounted in the middle of the windscreen) forces you eyes down, reset focus to shorter range, and puts your gaze off to the left and into the rice paddy's. Navi mounted on the right of the dash like this keeps your eyes on the road and oncoming traffic, minimal focal change, and doesn't obscure the view of the road.

As for the center screen in the pic, visual navigation with album art thumbnails means spending less time trying to operate controls and figure out where the song you want is.. e.g. in this pic I can see the song I want to play is a simple left,left tap away - no need to look back at the screen to play it :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it would appear that the 2011 model is the right recipe for Thailand..

January sales figures have now been compiled, and the Pajero Sport is now confirmed as the #1 selling SUV (PPV) in Thailand with a strong 47% market share (up 55.7% YOY).

Fortuner comes in 2nd with 29.9% (-35.7% YOY), followed by the MU-7 with 20.4% (+17.3% YOY) and the Everest at 2.7% (+3.5% YOY).

What about the road. :huh::D

Yep, that's the whole point. Navi built into the stereo (or mounted in the middle of the windscreen) forces you eyes down, reset focus to shorter range, and puts your gaze off to the left and into the rice paddy's. Navi mounted on the right of the dash like this keeps your eyes on the road and oncoming traffic, minimal focal change, and doesn't obscure the view of the road.

As for the center screen in the pic, visual navigation with album art thumbnails means spending less time trying to operate controls and figure out where the song you want is.. e.g. in this pic I can see the song I want to play is a simple left,left tap away - no need to look back at the screen to play it :D

Question. Dose it not tell you where to go I never look at my screen. As I get verbal instruction's, just one problem it's from a lady from the US drive's me mad but you cant have it alway's.

Question. Dose it not tell you where to go I never look at my screen. As I get verbal instruction's, just one problem it's from a lady from the US drive's me mad but you cant have it alway's.

Yes, Garmin's have voice support, but there's a few reasons why having the screen in line-of-sight is useful: 1) Spotting upcoming POI's - e.g. seeing a gas station, 7/11 etc several KM's before you get to them, 2) Lane Assist and Junction View (which can't be done by voice), 3) In the mountains - in this case the GPS is great at letting you know what turns are coming (especially useful at night), 4) General knowledge of the area - with line-of-sight and always-on, you end up picking up much more about the area you're in, road names, POI's, waterways etc.

Yes, Garmin's have voice support, but there's a few reasons why having the screen in line-of-sight is useful: 1) Spotting upcoming POI's - e.g. seeing a gas station, 7/11 etc several KM's before you get to them, 2) Lane Assist and Junction View (which can't be done by voice), 3) In the mountains - in this case the GPS is great at letting you know what turns are coming (especially useful at night), 4) General knowledge of the area - with line-of-sight and always-on, you end up picking up much more about the area you're in, road names, POI's, waterways etc.

Agree with all that. But I only use mine to get through BKK as alway's get lost there, and I never take my eye's off the road as they come from alway's/anyway's. And I dont drive at night unless I really have to.

something else... im not used driving these bug suv's like my pjs... (back in europe, a tiny opel corsa hehe)

so a newbie question... why do all big suvs and pickups go like 3km/h over a curb ?

i mean... werent cars build for that? i mean, the tires/wheels/suspensions were made for it, right? is it a thai thing ???

or its simply for example my pajero SPORT car is a really bad car, if it is... then i wonder why i bought one... why not drive 60km/h over it? :s

Curb = threshold

Are you talking about speed bumps, or the right-angled curb/kerb that runs along the side of the road?

If speedbumps, depending on type/shape 20-50km/hr is usually comfortable for front seat passengers. If people in the back (especially 3rd row), you'll want to slow it down though, otherwise they'll hit the roof, heh :D

If you're talking about curbs/kerbs, 3km/hr sounds about right, unless you intentionally want to launch your PJS into pedestrians/shops and damage your suspension and wheels ;)

You may want to check your tire pressures if you feel there's more shock/judder than there ought to be - over-inflation by service techs is common in TH.

Sorry for my english, speedbumps indeed.

The thing is, i live in a condo and there is this 500m tarmac road with 3 speedbumps. If im alone, i go about 40-60 km/h on it, because its just a road with wall on the side, nothing can be in my way... I have no clue why they put it there.... Perhaps some fool drove 100 on the road and forgot to break at the end of the road, dunno...

However, all the other suvs with only the driver, break really hard and goes over it with 3 km/h, thats why my question.

@Thailaw,ofcourse i only do this on my own road, not public roads... I dont want to hurt or kill anyone lol, its just that i didnt undersrand it and thought perhaps its a thai thing... As in accelerate fast, break fast, continuesly everywhere :s

Hi,

I finally bought a 2nd-hand PJS with the advice of the good people here. I asked the Mitsu dealer when I got it serviced if an i-pod/iphone jack could be installed. They quoted me about 3.8kbaht. Anyone know if this is a good price or are they too lazy and quoting me something high to get me off their case?

Anyone have any contacts in Bangkok where I might be able to get it done cheaper?

They also told me they couldnt install the steering controls in mine because mine was a 2008 model and only the 2009 models onwards were compatible. Is this true?

Oh yea, and anyone know a good place to get the window film done?

Will upload pic/mov soon if u wanna see what i mean :)

As promised:

go to 0:57 secs, you seem me driving 60/70 km/h on the speedbumps,

while all other SUV's and Pickups break, and drive as slow as 3km/h on this... I don't really get it... :S

That speedbump-crevasse-speedbump combo at 0:50 has got to qualify for some sort of record - that's the nastiest thing I've seen on the street - well, except for some test tracks that were purposely designed to try and destroy cars.. I bet the local wheel, tire and suspension places are rolling in Baht for all the B segment cars that have lost a tire or shock because of it ;)

I see the normal speedbump at 1:02 gets taken in the correct way though :thumbsup:

As for the video, wow, nicely done! You have way too much time on your hands I think, hehehe :)

Will upload pic/mov soon if u wanna see what i mean :)

As promised:

go to 0:57 secs, you seem me driving 60/70 km/h on the speedbumps,

while all other SUV's and Pickups break, and drive as slow as 3km/h on this... I don't really get it... :S

That speedbump-crevasse-speedbump combo at 0:50 has got to qualify for some sort of record - that's the nastiest thing I've seen on the street - well, except for some test tracks that were purposely designed to try and destroy cars.. I bet the local wheel, tire and suspension places are rolling in Baht for all the B segment cars that have lost a tire or shock because of it ;)

I see the normal speedbump at 1:02 gets taken in the correct way though :thumbsup:

As for the video, wow, nicely done! You have way too much time on your hands I think, hehehe :)

Well... I meant the speedbump @ 1:02 ofcourse... I mean, everyone here take it with 3km/h... sometimes SOOOOO slow that i actually need to pass them ;)

Yea, the combo @ 0:50 is really nasty indeed, but cars are not supposed to do drive over that, I was just testing my ride, see what it did..

that one really has to be taken slow ;)

thanks for the compliments.. nah all together incl camming + edit afterwards took me about an hour.

I'm a graphics and multimedia designer... this is just basic stuff :)

• 1 month later...

Had an interesting thing occur today. I was talking to a Thai bloke who insists that the Fortuner is bigger, nicer looking and all-around better than the Mitsu PJS. (He also insists that Fortuners have selectable 2WD/4WD and refuses to believe that the current ones do not.) So I mentioned it to the missus and she agreed with him that the Fortuner is much better. This, of course, is AFTER she told me she preferred the PJS, which I then ordered (a couple of weeks ago). So the number of Thais I know who prefer the PJS over the Fortuner has now gone from one to zero. Funny people, Thai wives...

Had an interesting thing occur today. I was talking to a Thai bloke who insists that the Fortuner is bigger, nicer looking and all-around better than the Mitsu PJS. (He also insists that Fortuners have selectable 2WD/4WD and refuses to believe that the current ones do not.) So I mentioned it to the missus and she agreed with him that the Fortuner is much better. This, of course, is AFTER she told me she preferred the PJS, which I then ordered (a couple of weeks ago). So the number of Thais I know who prefer the PJS over the Fortuner has now gone from one to zero. Funny people, Thai wives...

Dont worry about who like's what. If you tried the speed bump trick in a Fortuner Sportivo you would be still coming down. My Thai wife said when I changed my Vigo 4 door 4x4 for the Sportivo it the Sportivo was very nice but very SUMALL. Buddha know's what she would have thought of a Jazz. Thai wife's their with us so what do they know. And yes the new one's are 100% full time 4x4 Vigo and Fortuner. Didnt like the 4x4 set up in the early Vigo's on road crap steering like a tank. The new set up is a different kettle of fish. Better lock drive's like a 2 wheel car fab. Enjoy your PJS. Saying that would I buy one not on your life, just dont like the look of it so that's another one to add to your list.

Thanks guys, this is a great thread. My wife just passed her driving test and i was going to buy her a Jazz later this year, but after driving my Focus for a couple of months she decided she wants to keep that and for me to have a new vehicle. I looked at the Honda, Nissan, Chevrolet and Ford SUV's. Not one of them compared to the PJS. It felt like a luxury car on the inside and looks great on the outside. Reading this thread have encouraged me more to buy the PJS. Thanks again.

Nidge.