Upgrading Older Imac Parts

TheLaughingMan

to Upgrade CPU and graphics .. its VERY depend on the exact Device specification.

do you have the product number or serial number handy .. that would help alot ...

there where a few diferences in this modell series ..

anyway ... upgrading the memory is very simple .. but you will require the most expensive one DIMM Modules (which is quite a pain regarding the price)

you can probably install them by yourself. (send me a PM if you run into trouble)

as for harddisc .. is alittle bit more complicated but doable, if you want to be sure ... there is a very small but quite good Macintosh repair Shop in Fortune Town (3rd floor i think)

it called my Mac or somethings like this ...

they have 2 guys very familiar with hardware ... so the upgrade will be cheap and in good quality

as for the previous post ... about Apple Service shops ... there is actually just one in Discovery Center .. and another one in Esplanade and in Fortune Town as well ..

but beware .. the pricing is far beyond reality (if you have apple care running .. of course .. that is the place to go) but if not .. well

better get the parts and someone install it for you .

Macintosh are very service friendly devices (at lest the most of them)

Edited by nullx8

Thanks, I went to istudio and the memory price seemed high..... I know I can only use the ddr2 667mhz ram and he said no problem but price was the same as the latest ddr3 nice ram which makes no sense to me.

And he had hard drives too. Im thinking istudio is more expensive then the options you are talking about.

I guess I wont risk the cpu and graphics. At that point it might make more sense just to buy a new imac.

I might contact you soon.

you may better drop the CPU upgrade on this modell.

as for HDD and memory .. simply get a "PC2-5300" modul from anywhere (it fit in all late 2006 modells)

the CD versions can only handle 2GB .. the DVD versions 3GB .. probably both sockets are used already (what does the System profiler tells you about it ?

(click on the small apple logo on top left select "about this mac" and then "more info")

as for the requirements of the operating system, since its a Intel machine, you can run the latest OS on it (assuming you have done the memory upgrade already)

if not its possible too but before you boot the Install disc you need to "tell" the bios the machine have more memory as detected (the installer ask the bios .. so the value will be "fake" for the installer and back to normal on the next reboot.

but i can help you with that.

as for the Harddisc, just get any SATA Harddisc on the street ... i can help you with the rest.

well if you think about getting another one .... let me know :) (i still have a imac LCD at home .. and its getting quite laggy some times)

Ya went to one of those main apple type shops at fortune, not too expensive to upgrade memory and hard drive.

Hard drive 250 upgrade to 500 (max for that model they tell me) for 1250 baht

Ram 2gb that they tell me can go side by side with my 1gb stick already in there for 1790 baht (giving me my 3gb max)

Snow os for 1190 baht, is it a good idea to have original os? what are the advantages?

They want to charge 1070 service charge to do all this but im thinking I can do it myself

Why did you say I could use any sata? What do you mean?

What imac do you have that you were selling?

Ya went to one of those main apple type shops at fortune, not too expensive to upgrade memory and hard drive.

actually only one of them is really smart in doing the work ... (its the one not so far from the istudio) i still can't remember the name ... (getting damm old :P))

Hard drive 250 upgrade to 500 (max for that model they tell me) for 1250 baht

Why did you say I could use any sata? What do you mean?

Yes that is correct, all the "late" modells have a limitation, depend on the modell they may eat it .. but you will have to LL Format it to 512GB in order to use it.

imac's (using standard SATA Harddiscs .. you can buy them anywhere .. its not special at all. (but the price is quite good they quote you .. and you will have some sort of warranty as well)

but there is no limitation at all for external devices on Firewire

They want to charge 1070 service charge to do all this but im thinking I can do it myself

well thats 25 Bucks ... and tearing a imac apart to get to the harddisc is not so difficult .. but if you never done it it may give you some headache, i can promise you that.

What imac do you have that you were selling?

i want to also get a newer imac .. so i miss-read your mention about to get a new imac and asking you want to sell it .. as i have a imac UFO-version with G4 CPU at home for some simple tasks.. (kinda Stonaeage)

but yes i will sell my one in order to more easy afford another newer modell .. but yours is much newer already