Libya To Thailand

The wifes brother has gone to Libya to work, to be able to be able pay off his debts and possibly have money to build a house when he comes back to Thailand.He gets paid in the Bangkok every two months,(35000-38000 baht).This month (December) there was extra money in the account,I must point that the money goes in to an account in my wifes name as she pays off his debts for him, so she with drew 35000 baht and left the remainder in there for about two weeks,then drew out the remainder, yesterday she had a telephone call from Bangkok (Bangkok Bank),saying they had made a mistake please pay back the money ,which I know will have to be paid back (most of the money is still in the house),but the girls atitude was 'if you havent got the money go and borrow it'',but lets not forget whos fault it is they sent the money, they had plenty of time to get in touch with my wife but they didn't. The total amount that has been missed paid by the bank (not just to my wifes acc.is about $8000) so they must be phoning arround many other people.What I am asking is can I say to pay back the money at so much a month or will they make us pay it all back at once.There is no problem with paying it all at once but just the banks atitude.

No snarky remarks please

:annoyed:

I don't know the law in Thailand, but in the U.S. even if the bank is at fault they can require you return the money. The law asumes that if you knew the money was there in error, and you accepted the money knowing that you had no real right to it...then you must return it. Even if it is a bank error. Its been tested before in court, and the bank involved always won the case.

Having said that, there is no reason for the bank to get "snippy" and rude about it. They should have simply called, politely explained their error, and then politely asked you return the money. If they were in fact rude with you, I would complain to someone in authority in that bank branch about your treatment.

But I suspect you will have to return the extra money.

:rolleyes:

P.S. I've had a joint account with my Thai girlfriend in Bangkok Bank for many years...in the Sukhumvit Soi 43 branch of Bangkok Bank. I've always found that branch to be efficient, friendly, and careful of my money (they regularly notify me of transfers from the U.S. by phone}. So if it is Bangkok Bank giving you problems at one branch maybe you should think about transferring your account to the Sukhumvit Soi 43 branch in Bangkok...if that is possible.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Thanks for your reply,my wife does not know how much money is going into the account untill it is in there,and we know that her brother has just changed jobs. We shall be going in to the main branch in Lampang on Monday and so will let you what happens.

Thanks for your reply,my wife does not know how much money is going into the account untill it is in there,and we know that her brother has just changed jobs. We shall be going in to the main branch in Lampang on Monday and so will let you what happens.

Bangkok bank in Lampang said it was the fault of the bank in Libya they " sent it twice"? who knows, all money paid,all smiles at the bank.