Tesol In China

pumper

In addition to a love of Thailand, I have a taste for adventure & desire to experience as much as possible.

some of the 'ad links' on this forum offer TESOL in China opportunites with little or no investment, training, schooling ..

some even appear to offer TESOL classes for minimal / no fees ..

The requirements to teach in China appear to be minimal.

Native English speaking & money for 1 way airfare to China seem to be all that is required for many listed jobs ..

Pay seems to be somewhat less ( 20%-30% less than 35k ) than Thailand but benefits appear to be significicantly more .. RT airfare home once per year, paid 1 month vacations, apartment..

If it sound to good to be true, it might be a nightmare.

Any teach in China stories?

I left Thailand in disgust three years ago, and have been in China for that time. I have recently signed a further one year contract with my university here (though they have let me know that I can virtually stay as long as I wish). As a place to live, Thailand perhaps offers a few more comforts and conveniences, but as a place to work (especially in teaching), China is infinitely better for a plethora of reasons, IMO.

Salaries in China are not necessarily lower than Thailand for those with qualifications and experience. The Chinese are sometimes willing to negotiate IF they want a real teacher, rather than just a white face and a pulse. The salaries offered by Chinese universities and government schools are mostly higher than similar contracts in Thailand anyway. All employers in China (public or private) should additionally offer the following benefits, which are almost unheard of in Thailand: free furnished accommodation, air fare reimbursement and yearly flights, travel allowance paid once or twice a year, residence/work permit, limited medical care and computer with internet access. These conditions are fairly standard. Many employers also provide other benefits such as free utilities and local phone calls, free fast internet connection, occasional trips to nearby places of interest, extended medical coverage, end of contract bonus and perhaps even free or subsidized food (of varying quality).

These are some of the reasons why, for me, China is a much better place to work than Thailand:

Paperwork

Any reputable employer can and will get you the necessary documentation to live and work legally in the country. This will be attended to by the school's Foreign Affairs Officer and will take about a week to ten days. You shouldn't have to become embroiled in the tedious process at all, except to attend for the fairly perfunctory medical exam at the outset of your contract. All fees should be paid by the school. Compare this with the Byzantine process in Thailand and the reluctance of most Thai employers to get you a work permit.

Working Hours

I teach 12 academic hours per week for 20 weeks of the year. That is all I am expected to do. Preparation and marking I do at home. No meetings, no hanging around in the office just for the sake of it, no compulsory overtime at unsociable hours, no pointless “projects” just to keep the round-eyes busy, and no signing-in every day like some blue-collar factory worker. My Chinese colleagues do not expect me to provide a free editing service for their own papers and theses, either. I have ample free time to spend on personal projects and enjoy more than six months paid holiday per year.

Professional Satisfaction and Respect

The students I teach are, for the most part, pleasant, respectful, motivated and fun to be with. They are more able and hard-working than the Thai students I taught and do not expect simply to be entertained. I have seen many of them make considerable progress. I have complete academic freedom to do whatever I want and nobody bothers me. I am liked and respected by the administration, by the students, and by most of my Chinese colleagues. Of course, this respect has to be earned, but I am not generally subjected to the xenophobic, barely suppressed hostility which I encountered at Thai universities.

Quality of Life

As I said above, certain parts of Thailand offer more comforts and conveniences than Thailand, but China is rapidly catching up in this regard. The working environment at “my” university is friendly, relaxed and completely stress and hassle free – everything which Thailand is purported to be, but in practice is not. Due to the above-mentioned benefits and the low cost of living, I live very well here and still manage to save a decent amount of money – something I found impossible in Thailand.

The above comparison is based on working at both Thai and Chinese universities. The hole-in-the wall and McEnglish language schools and private sector in general, can be just as horrendous in China as they are in Thailand, or indeed anywhere else in the world. Unlike in Thailand however, government organizations will usually treat you reasonably well. Caveat emptor. If you do your homework, it is quite possible to find a good employer in China, which will enable you to have a nice lifestyle and enjoy your time here.

I would rather dine on powdered glass than work in Thailand again. I have worked in ten countries on three continents and never have I encountered employers who demand so much, yet offer so very little in return.

Edited by Rumpole

wow .. what a response.

thanks ..

guys on this forum have provided me with the encouragement I needed to persue a TESOL certificate & become an expat ..

Signed up today for an October class.

who'd thought I'd be ever be an EXPAT .. pretty kool!..

I definately will persue Chinese opportunities ..

thanks again!!

Edited by pumper

A different response.. having taught in Thailand for over ten years at various levels.. and doing the CHINA TEACHING THANG... it still is a crap shot.. Do find a reputable organization .. do you read your contact.. And of course.. your location is key... you can pretty much find the same comforts to get you over...

CCTV is actually pretty cool.. and the English version is OK. .. BUT those lovely AM exercise shows.. willl give you reasons to get up at 6 am...

Do stay away from the English Language Selling Shops...yet, some are excellent.. BUT EF ( ADM) is not.... stick to the university levels.. and of course.. Do watch yourself with the other Westerners.. THE BACK STAB syndrome is alive and well..

Pick your level.. Look for a location to a major city...AND,,,, Check your tolerance meter... for.. THAT's how they do it.. here....and suck it up.

As for your students... generally the Chinese University student have a better sense of responsibility towards their studies and a better performance and attitude towards studying English...

SO.. GO DO... :o

Enjoy the tea houses...Plenty of good eating and culture..