Rock Hard

JusMe

Had my Nouvo in today for a standard service, which I suppose (hope?) was all done to Yamaha specifications.

Riding back down the road, something was slightly amiss - I felt every tiny little ripple in the road and after 20 km, my butt was aching.

Got home and waited for everything to cool, and then checked the tire pressure. They'd inflated it to more than twice the Yamaha recommendations! blink.gif

Both tires were between 65 and 70 psi. Yamaha recommends 29 for the front, and 33 for the rear.

Why would they do this? Is it to try to compensate for the weekly leaking that requires me to check the pressure and top up?

Next time I'm in, I'll take the manual and show them, but doubt it will make much difference.

While on the topic of tires, I asked about replacing the spoke wheels I have with alloys. They don't sell them there, except as new on bikes. It's a Yamaha dealer fer gawd's sake!

Can I just pop into a local tire / wheel shop and see what they'd charge? Total non-mechanical sort that I am, it won't make much difference, I think, that I can't speak Thai!

Over inflated tires seem to be standard practice for most people and service centres in Thailand! All my bikes and cars have come with almost double the recommended pressure. The saleswoman when I picked up the last new car spent about 5 minutes trying to convince me otherwise when I asked them to put the pressures to Toyotas recommendation, 'but high pressure uses less fuel, handles better, tire last longer etc.'

Since reading an earlier thread about tires, I went out and bought myself a small pump and a pressure gauge. I'd been having flats, usually front but not exclusively, regularly.

Since setting the pressure to the recommended - 30 psi front & 34 psi rear - I haven't had a flat!

Just a bit annoying having to add air weekly. I've heard the alloy wheels don't have that problem, which is why I'm considering shifting to them. But as I know nothing, I thought the dealer could help out, but as they don't carry extra wheels other than originally on the bikes, I'm trying to learn something extra about what and where.

'but high pressure uses less fuel, handles better, tire last longer etc.'

Well, it's true that the higher inflation does improve fuel efficiency and does increase tire life, but as far as better handling, that's not accurate. An overinflated tire will be harder and have less traction than a properly inflated tire. Quite dangerous really!

Over inflated tires seem to be standard practice for most people and service centres in Thailand! All my bikes and cars have come with almost double the recommended pressure. The saleswoman when I picked up the last new car spent about 5 minutes trying to convince me otherwise when I asked them to put the pressures to Toyotas recommendation, 'but high pressure uses less fuel, handles better, tire last longer etc.'

Honestly Gippy, some of the sale people I have had the misfortune to deal,probably wouldn't know shit from clay, if you had it under their collective noses.

'but high pressure uses less fuel, handles better, tire last longer etc.'

Well, it's true that the higher inflation does improve fuel efficiency and does increase tire life, but as far as better handling, that's not accurate. An overinflated tire will be harder and have less traction than a properly inflated tire. Quite dangerous really!

Scary thought Tony, but it makes me wonder that they are mostly used to working on step-throughs and service the bigger bikes under the same mentality.

One point in all of this...check everything after the dealers have done their bit B)

Edited by Garry

Yes buy an air pump and a gauge which can be bought for app. 800 bath and do it yourself. Many bikeshops don't even have a gauge but takes air direct from the work air tank.

I don't know why the Thais won't listen, but they won't. If a tire manufacturer says 30 psi is it bloody 30 psi, end of story. Tony is right, it can be very dangerous especially on a performance bike/car. Furthermore if you has twice the recommended pressure a puncture can also be more dangerous causing the tire to explode, not a nice thought at +100 km/h or even less.

I discovered "gross overinflation" to be the main cause of some small cc choppers having skidding problems in the wet here.

Likewise garages, even major ones do not bother about tyre pressures unless the rider tells them.

Manufacturer recommended tyre pressures exist for a reason!

Prevailing "wisdom" in an economically developing nation is likely related to frequent experience, personal and word-of-mouth - and saving setang. The clear advantages of better mileage and longer tire life are "common sense" here, and overcome thoughts of safety (the benefits of which are not obvious to many of us and which can be put off until tomorrow for consideration).

Particularly with the smaller bikes, even "official" Japanese bike dealers will skip steps in checkups, such as valve clearances or brake wear. Best to imagine that we're on our own.

It is rather like seat belts - inconvenient or essential?

I think,that once again,correct tyre pressures comes down to Education,

ever tried explaining to your other half that Low Profile Tyres are mean't to look a little flat?

Edited by MAJIC

I keep an eagle eye out for pressures, bike and car, on getting our D-Max back from service the tyres had been pumped up from the recommended (on a plate in drivers door)20Bar to 29 Bar all round.

The mrs liked it like that, when I deflated them to the correct pressure, she moans about it feeling different and "harder" to steer. Had to growl at her today about it.

Though I'm sure if I was away she would get the dealer to pump them up again, after all the dealer knows everthing, how could a mere falang know better?

Got a nifty lttle digi guage from Kawasaki , carry it everywhere, a cheap cigar lighter pump (800 Baht), well worth having, although I think now a foot pump is more reliable, even if she sweats!