Chiang Mai Declared Cold Snap Disaster Zone

Chiangmai Cheers

Well we have finally seen the minimum temperature drop below 15 degrees celsius in Chiangmai and once again Chiangmai is a "DISASTER" area. Six months ago we were a disaster area because of lack of rain. A couple of months later we were a disaster area because of flooding (mind you I did not see much flooding).

This time the provincial disaster response services director Prajon Pratsakul, is seeking a budget of Bt14 million from the Interior Ministry to purchase around 80,000 sets of winter clothes and duvets for the cold victims. Whatever happened to the clothes and duvets which were bought last year,and for each of the past number of years?

For the past three years the Meteorological Department has warned us that we were about to face the coldest and longest winter on record. That hasn't happened, and as a retired weatherman, I soon learned not to be "the boy who called wolf".

What constitutes a disaster?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :

A disaster is either a natural or man-made hazard which has come to fruition, resulting in an event of substantial extent causing significant physical damage or destruction, loss of life, or drastic change to the natural environment. It is classified as either a natural disaster or a man-made disaster. A disaster can be ostensively defined as any tragic event with great loss stemming from events such as earthquakes, floods, catastrophic accidents, fires, or explosions.

Is this just another way to boost the coffers?

Simple; disasters = budgets.

At 175 BT per set (clothes + duvet), I don't think they bothered with the maths at all.

Unless we are talking very thin jacket and thin blanket.

I'm sure I remember reading that the PM had asked the Interior Ministry to investigate revising the cost upwards for the blanket (only) up to 185 Bt, do not recall anything about a duvet at all. It seems as if they have taken no notice. As for the other two comments...............

Simple; disasters = budgets.

At 175 BT per set (clothes + duvet), I don't think they bothered with the maths at all.

Unless we are talking very thin jacket and thin blanket.

That's were I'd place my bet as well, money. We may even feel another morning's "disasterous" temps today as it's 16c at 4AM and still dropping. :whistling: I can understand possibly places like Doi Inthanon (if it were populated like CM) getting these warnings but around here?

Edited by ThaiWx

Im personally loving the climate, just perfect for me. The simulated British weather dome at Chiang Mai zoo needs to be utilised and used to introduce folk to proper cold weather. Some parts of Scotland were as low as -20C a week or so ago, thats twice as cold as that dome. 15C does not warrant a disaster, come on its not that cold. Im sure though its cold(er) up the mountains and im also sure the hill tribe/Thai folk were allready prepared for the lower temperatures.Next weather thread in 2-3 months, "its too hot"!!!!

15C does not warrant a disaster, come on its not that cold.

That depends on the average temperature you spend most of your time in. Presumably you won't be complaining when the temperature in Chiang Mai hits 40c because 'it's not that hot'?

Im personally loving the climate, just perfect for me. The simulated British weather dome at Chiang Mai zoo needs to be utilised and used to introduce folk to proper cold weather. Some parts of Scotland were as low as -20C a week or so ago, thats twice as cold as that dome. 15C does not warrant a disaster, come on its not that cold. Im sure though its cold(er) up the mountains and im also sure the hill tribe/Thai folk were allready prepared for the lower temperatures.Next weather thread in 2-3 months, "its too hot"!!!!

That's one thing you'll never hear from me, complaining about it being too hot. That's one of the reasons I moved over here, to get away from the cold weather and it's effects. I am a lot more comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt sitting under a shade tree with "a cool one" than bundled in a coat with gloves and boots on, shivering. Last May we had or high temps for this year (42c), I was sweating but not complaning.

15C does not warrant a disaster, come on its not that cold.

That depends on the average temperature you spend most of your time in. Presumably you won't be complaining when the temperature in Chiang Mai hits 40c because 'it's not that hot'?

For it to be a disaster, what we are really talking about is deaths through hypothermia. It has absolutely nothing to do with the average temperature you spend most of your time in. You are not going to get hypothermia with temperatures as high as 10-15 degrees.

The provincial disaster response services director Prajon Pratsakul, has declared all its 25 districts as a disaster zone due to the cold snap affecting the region. It is not just the mountain areas he is talking about.

Incidentally in 2009 it was an Emergency and 2008 was a disaster. i have no information on previous years, but presumably some alarmist term or other was used.

In 2009 "The office was given a budget of Bt26 million to provide 70,000 blankets and 40,000 winter jackets for local residents. It earlier distributed 291,114 winter items to help 64 per cent of locals affected by the cold spell".

In 2008 the provincial administration sought Bt2.5 million from the government to provide urgent help to local people who need about 100,000 blankets.(25THB / blanket)

What has happened to all the blankets and clothes given in previous years?

It is just another case of excessive exaggeration and annual request for more money

Edited by Chiangmai Cheers

it's amazing how many of "us" don't get the facts that chiang mai is not just an overheated city but also a province.it is almost 5 degrees colder out in serapi when i go home at night and a lot colder higher up in the mountains where the poor eek out a living. they sleep in bamboo huts and yes -they are cold,and last years stuff if they ever got it probably went to the dogs.....

if you don't believe it try mea hon song or just go up doi suthep on your motorbike early in the morning in a t shirt!:ph34r:

it's amazing how many of "us" don't get the facts that chiang mai is not just an overheated city but also a province.it is almost 5 degrees colder out in serapi when i go home at night and a lot colder higher up in the mountains where the poor eek out a living. they sleep in bamboo huts and yes -they are cold,and last years stuff if they ever got it probably went to the dogs.....

if you don't believe it try mea hon song or just go up doi suthep on your motorbike early in the morning in a t shirt!:ph34r:

CM is not the only place it gets cold, in Phrae my weather station is telling me it's under 15 degrees on most mornings, up in the hills it's much colder....quityerbitchin! :jap:

Well, I am not against a bit of frivolity, nor am I immune from being cynical from time to time, but I find it too hard to swallow OP's post and several of the following posts.

I do not know how many of you have been up in the hills surrounding Chiang Mai in December-January (except a quick day trip to Doi Inthanon, but let me tell you it is cold at night. I have been there, done that, have the tee shirt. Yes,some nights,literally icy.

I am bewildered by many of the comments here. I am not bothering to look at them all again, so pardon me if I don't get it all right, but who gives a happy dam_n how bureaucrats happen to characterize "disaster" or do some really believe that fortunes in reselling 185 THB blankets are being made ??!! What a crock of ... !!!

I am not Christian, but I am appalled at the lack of "Christmas spirit" at this time. Anyway, it really hasn't anything to do with Christmas; it has to do with simple concern for others.

If you still recite Rudyard Kipling's "White Man's Burden" when you say your prayers at night, then I shall have to pray more for you in your afterlife!

Here it is: http://www.wsu.edu/~wldciv/world_civ_reader/world_civ_reader_2/kipling.html

Think about it!

In the meantime, there are a lot of folk not reading poetry and not trading in blankets who are very, very cold right now in the hills around Chiang Mai.

Well, I am not against a bit of frivolity, nor am I immune from being cynical from time to time, but I find it too hard to swallow OP's post and several of the following posts.

I do not know how many of you have been up in the hills surrounding Chiang Mai in December-January (except a quick day trip to Doi Inthanon, but let me tell you it is cold at night. I have been there, done that, have the tee shirt. Yes,some nights,literally icy.

I am bewildered by many of the comments here. I am not bothering to look at them all again, so pardon me if I don't get it all right, but who gives a happy dam_n how bureaucrats happen to characterize "disaster" or do some really believe that fortunes in reselling 185 THB blankets are being made ??!! What a crock of ... !!!

I am not Christian, but I am appalled at the lack of "Christmas spirit" at this time. Anyway, it really hasn't anything to do with Christmas; it has to do with simple concern for others.

If you still recite Rudyard Kipling's "White Man's Burden" when you say your prayers at night, then I shall have to pray more for you in your afterlife!

Here it is: http://www.wsu.edu/~..._2/kipling.html

Think about it!

In the meantime, there are a lot of folk not reading poetry and not trading in blankets who are very, very cold right now in the hills around Chiang Mai.

eerrrm, yes.

Well I think this just about puts the lid on this thread.