Tickets To America

MisterMan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flying into JFK or LAX would give you a pretty good variety of airlines to choose from. Don't know about promos, but some of the Asian carriers offer decent prices. (Korean Air, China Air, etc.) You really need to shop around for prices since you've got some time to do so.

I flew to the east coast in Sep and the cheapest I found was Delta. Gotta check the websites for current info, best places to shop around. I usually start with Kayak.

Check with EVA air, they go to both places. I have found them to have good prices, however as mentioned above china airlines is cheap, I never flown China but my friends that have flown China dont like them says they are always late. Dont know.

I am going in April to San Francisco...not sure to pull the trigger yet or wait as SBK suggests I have heard the same, waiting can be best. If leaving from Phuket(my situation) I like the Cathay Pacific option as the layover in Hong Kong is brief both ways and no stop in Bangers. From their website now 34,000 Baht all taxes surcharges included. There are cheaper but way longer layovers ie, Korean Air or American carriers-yuck! Anyone here see something better keep us posted. Thanks and Happy New Year

I am going in April to San Francisco...not sure to pull the trigger yet or wait as SBK suggests I have heard the same, waiting can be best. If leaving from Phuket(my situation) I like the Cathay Pacific option as the layover in Hong Kong is brief both ways and no stop in Bangers. From their website now 34,000 Baht all taxes surcharges included. There are cheaper but way longer layovers ie, Korean Air or American carriers-yuck! Anyone here see something better keep us posted. Thanks and Happy New Year

Korean Air has long layovers for sure. We just flew Delta and the layovers were extremely short...almost too short. I prefer JAL...love Korean, but the layover gets me.

Eva air to SF has a very short layover ( it was less than 2 hours both ways) when we went in July last year ( I have to get used to saying last year now for 2010) :-)

Cathy for sure is a great airline as is Singapore but before Singapore airlines would give u a free silk air flight Phuket-Singapore and it was very competitive but now seems to have really gone up

I Use travelzoo.com

you in put your search criteria in the search page,and then you can chose the major travel search engines you want to search from their list .what I like about it is that you only input your info one time, and every time you make a search it opens a new window in your browser, so that in the end you can look at all your searches and compare.

Chok dee

Wow lots of great info. Seems that in America when booking domestic flights I get screwed waiting .. even now 6 weeks before makes me feel a bit nervous.

Thai Airways is Non stop from Bkk to LA so if the prices is higher than Thai then I would just opt with Thai as it is quicker.

Will try travel zoo. Layover is Seoul no problem as i have a friend there and would make it part of the trip...

Will check Cathay and get on their list..

And local agents to recommend?

I've flown China Air for five years, they seem ok. They did change their requirements for upgrades, so I don't get offered the use of their lounge nor frequent flier upgrades any more based on my flying habits. I was upset about that, but what is one to do?

I like Korean Air. Their service is super! I also like it because I can use my Delta mileage for the Korean Air flights. The only problem is most of their flights out of Seoul to the West coast leave in the afternoon. So, if you fly to LAX, San Francisco, Vancouver, there will be long layover at Incheon.

On the other hand, the connecting time to the East coast is pretty good since most of the flights to NYC/JFK, Washington Dulles, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, Toronto all leave in the mid morning, with a few exception.

Edited by HaruHaru

I just bought HKT to Honolulu, Hawaii for Jan. 16 on Mobissimo.

RT airfare, 3 nights nice hotel, rental car all in for $2000/person

Longest layover= 4 hours, 1 stop in Tokyo, only 12 hours total flying time.

I may never fly to continental U.S. again. I absolutely hate those 13 Hour legs.

I fly Star Alliance flights as I like to earn my miles. I was checking out continental, recently purchased by United, and found a ticket for $200 cheaper, and on flights operated by United! explain that one.

You might do well to read this thread I launched earlier in the year, relating to the timing of purchasing airline tickets between BKK and LAX.

I spend months searching and researching for a decent priced ticket last fall... August, September, October and into November, before finally flying at Thanksgiving, and then kept tracking the prices through Christmas, which was when I originally wanted to go. I ended up paying about $1050 RT all in to fly the week of Thanksgiving on American Airlines thru Japan.

Three or four months ahead, the absolute best price I could find anywhere for Christmas week to LAX was between $1200 and $1300 including all taxes and fees... One week before Christmas, I could have bought any number of BKK to LAX roundtrip flights online for under $1000, including China Eastern and American Airlines.

The lesson I learned was at least for that particular route, it doesn't pay -- it costs -- to try to purchase well ahead. If you can find a good priced ticket well in advance, then sure take it... But on the other hand, don't assume that you can't find a better priced ticket if you wait until shortly before your trip.

The places I like for finding the absolute best airline ticket prices are Sidestep.com, American Airlines web site, and Cheaptickets.com. The American Airlines site is good because it allows you to see their pricing for a trip day by day, for the outbound and return segments separately, and then pick the best combination that works for you... One day their outbound segment may be $900, but a day later, it may be $400. And their site makes it easy to search, see and book that way.

I don't think AA is anywhere near the best airline to fly, but they do codeshare with JAL and fly through Japan, which is a whole lot better than China Eastern thru Pu Dong, which I did last year as well. Horrible, boring place to spend an 8 hour layover.

I used to be a regular EVA flier to LAX because they regularly had some of the best prices. But something has happened with them in the past year or so. This past year, when I repeatedly priced EVA even though the "Hot Fares" section of their web site as a FF cardholder, I couldn't find anything less than $1300 all in RT from BKK to LAX.

I happen to have an automated search set up in Bing looking for a June 2011 RT between LAX and Bangkok. Got the latest email update today of the best pricing Bing could find, $1360 RT... Bing is by no means the best word on finding the best fares... But it does give you an indication of the general market pricing for the BKK-LAX trip in June now...still 5-6 months ahead.

I am going to Denver, I don't think I get such luck with ticket prices, the continental at $1300 + is the cheapest I have seen in ages and I am tempted to purchase it. Just want to make sure I get my full mileage

Note to self, buy jfchandler a drink next time I find myself in Bangkok! Your recommendation of sidestep found me a United flight which I could not find through their search engine for $1342 including taxes

Edited by sbk
fixed for jf

I don't see any particularly "cheap cheap" fares on that site...

I see 38,000 baht RT to LA in February, and that's hardly cheap compared to what else is available...

Interestingly, they do show a 31,000 fare to LAX in late January, and a 27,000 RT on China Eastern in June.

If you have some "cheap cheap" examples from that site, why don't you posted specifics?

I've never heard of or see anything re this web site before.

Good info thanks!

Moxtravel has some cheap cheap fairs listed to America if you are going soon. www.moxtravel.com you dont need a cc you can pay by ATM if you are in Thailand

Just remember as you are wheeling and dealing that if you stick with the same airline or alliance group -- such as United and Star Alliance -- that you can get a FREE Round trip (Return) ticket after about 3 or so RT fares ... my trip this spring BKK > USA/Florida cost me $US 43 (taxes) ...

I always fly United, two years ago I paid $300 to fly from Bangkok, stop over in the US for 3 months, fly to the UK for one month and then back to Bangkok. :)

I worked out that the few hundred dollars more on a ticket saved me far more when I factored in my growing ff balance.

Still haven't pulled the trigger on the US flight as my dates are flexible but suspect I will do soon as the price has gone up by about $40 since my last post

I've followed up on these advertised fares several times. Every time, the price I get quoted is quite a bit more. Why? My dates don't match, travel time is too long, I missed the window, only a few seats were available, etc.

Airfares are tough to deal with...changing all the time...both up and down! :(

I don't see any particularly "cheap cheap" fares on that site...

I see 38,000 baht RT to LA in February, and that's hardly cheap compared to what else is available...

Interestingly, they do show a 31,000 fare to LAX in late January, and a 27,000 RT on China Eastern in June.

If you have some "cheap cheap" examples from that site, why don't you posted specifics?

I've never heard of or see anything re this web site before.

Good info thanks!

Moxtravel has some cheap cheap fairs listed to America if you are going soon. www.moxtravel.com you dont need a cc you can pay by ATM if you are in Thailand

Craig, as I suspect you know, it could be any of a couple things...

1. as you mentioned, it's possible any particular airline had a few tickets at that price, and thus could advertise them... But by the time any of us hear about them, they're long gone..

2. the travel agency involved is just scamming, by advertising low fares that either they don't have or have so few of as to be basically unavailable...

You never know, except for one thing... the advertised fare you're looking for seems to have disappeared.

Just remember as you are wheeling and dealing that if you stick with the same airline or alliance group -- such as United and Star Alliance -- that you can get a FREE Round trip (Return) ticket after about 3 or so RT fares ... my trip this spring BKK > USA/Florida cost me $US 43 (taxes) ...

Is it really worth it though? By sticking to the same airline you are forced to pay higher prices for those 3 or 4 RT fares that you could have gotten for cheaper had you used other airlines. By the time 3 RT flights have been bought, the excess you paid for them could total up to that 4th free flight. I dunno, I could be wrong.

I just bough m'lady a $1030 flight RT from bkk to seattle for a couple weeks from now, on Delta with actually only one quick layover. I don't think they get much cheaper than that anymore... the days of $800 RT to bkk are gone I think. I had to pay like $1300 last summer.

Edit: btw, you guys are always talking about promos... I haven't ONCE found a promo on ANY website or anything, so I don't get it... I always just end up using kayak.

Edited by Svenn