Protecting Gear

ChangNoi1

Anyone know where to get some safety clothing in Phuket? I have seen some in Honda, but poor selection.

The selection isnt great but.

West coast cycles on the bypass rd.. Has a small selection, mostly high priced for what it is.. Tends to more the harley colors and assless chaps etc. Is a 'real' brand helmet dealer but gave me so much hassle to order a size / color I just did it myself online.

Also new one.. Leaving Patong on the safari hill on the left.. Good selections, never really checked price..

Theres one in Phuket town for helmets. Listed on the motorcycle directory maps (sticky).

In general I have found buying gear on Phuket to be around double the price of ordering online from the Thai dealers listed on mocyc.. The bates gear or scoyco or yellowcorn is decent enough low speed gear, but all go with the masses of logos and look like a nascar race. I was going to get the missus the jk21 jacket but the small isnt small enough. The spyke gear looked good and I may get a mesh one for hot season.

Anyone know where to get some safety clothing in Phuket? I have seen some in Honda, but poor selection.

The selection isnt great but.

West coast cycles on the bypass rd.. Has a small selection, mostly high priced for what it is.. Tends to more the harley colors and assless chaps etc. Is a 'real' brand helmet dealer but gave me so much hassle to order a size / color I just did it myself online.

Also new one.. Leaving Patong on the safari hill on the left.. Good selections, never really checked price..

Theres one in Phuket town for helmets. Listed on the motorcycle directory maps (sticky).

In general I have found buying gear on Phuket to be around double the price of ordering online from the Thai dealers listed on mocyc.. The bates gear or scoyco or yellowcorn is decent enough low speed gear, but all go with the masses of logos and look like a nascar race. I was going to get the missus the jk21 jacket but the small isnt small enough. The spyke gear looked good and I may get a mesh one for hot season.

I dropped by the bypass store last night! Just as you said -overpriced. I have been looking on UK websites and the price is much better. I think it would be best to order to UK and get my friends to bring 'em over when they come. Could be dead by then though... JJ

Phuket's not so high on safety gear eh?

naked+racer.jpg

Birthday Suit Safety Kit sported by many farrangs wishing to maintain maximum tanning time during their stay in Phuket.

:lol: Does he get his knee down on corners?

Oh, the pain he'll experience if he slides out... Human Skin VS Rough Surface, Rough Surface always wins!

Yeah at 15000 Bahet, where are you buying those? Anybody know good place to shop in Sydney? being from QLD I get lost in the big smoke!

Motorcycle Accessories Supermarket. They have a small store in the CBD, two larger stores at Parramatta and Liverpool, and a superstore at Auburn.

- www.mcas.com.au/

Sydney City Motorcycles;

www.sydneycitymotorcycles.com.au/

Stores in Kogarah, Lane Cove, and Campbelltown

Motorcycle Accessories Warehouse at Castle Hill often has good specials;

http://www.maw.com.au/

But I would be surprised if any of them are much cheaper than getting your stuff in Brisvegas...

Cheers,

Daewoo

I have been looking on UK websites and the price is much better. I think it would be best to order to UK and get my friends to bring 'em over when they come. Could be dead by then though... JJ

Theres lots on mocyc, and I have found IF they do handle email well, that they have been fair, bought stuff sized tight before, and they were cool about returns and changes.

If you know your sizes, online is the best place to buy. Even with shipping and the occasional customs duty, you'll still come out ahead over buying locally.

You can find the odd bargain here. Paddock is okay for older range boots but I suspect they dabble in Chink copies.

Dirt Shop carries some quality stuff but their prices are outrageous, even by Thai standards and unless you're a short-arse, they're unlikely to stock your size.

I buy all my stuff online.

If you know your sizes, online is the best place to buy. Even with shipping and the occasional customs duty, you'll still come out ahead over buying locally.

You can find the odd bargain here. Paddock is okay for older range boots but I suspect they dabble in Chink copies.

Dirt Shop carries some quality stuff but their prices are outrageous, even by Thai standards and unless you're a short-arse, they're unlikely to stock your size.

I buy all my stuff online.

plus one on this reply

Problem in that is you need to know manufacturer specific sizing.. Alpinestars and joe rocket one sizes tight one sizes loose etc. And bike gear needs to really fit, theres less margin for error.

Problem in that is you need to know manufacturer specific sizing.. Alpinestars and joe rocket one sizes tight one sizes loose etc. And bike gear needs to really fit, theres less margin for error.

Some manufacturers have pretty good sizing descriptions on their websites - just have to take your measurements.

One word of warning on Arai though - it cost me 16,000 baht to find out that they size their helmets differently on different markets. So you buy the same helmet, with the same model name, in the same size - but it's a different shape! I tried on an Arai Profile in the USA, fit well in L but they only had it in black. Back in Thailand, ordered a white Arai Profile size L. It almost fit, but caused me headaches. Great helmet - but too small. It's for sale BTW if you have a round head shape, perfect condition, 59-60 cm ;)

I have heard Shoei does the same thing. A Shoei X-12 in Europe might fit differently than one for Asian markets, the Asian market ones more for rounder head shapes.

Less fancy brands make only one head shape world wide so it's easier. But I don't think it's possible to buy a helmet online without trying it first in that size somewhere.

On Mesh / leather jackets - I have a perforated leather jacket that's perfect for the north here in the winter. I was actually freezing my ass off the better part of last week. Mesh is cooler though, so if you ride in the south, sure... they're not uncomfortable, hardly feel the protectors.

I have mesh pants / leather jacket in the winter, and mesh pants / mesh jacket in the summer and around town.

Anyone have a recommendation for gloves? My YellowCorn ones are dying after nearly 2 years of use, I need new ones. I was a bit pissed they didn't last longer as they're not cheap - but then again, I wore them every day for 2 years in a row. I am still not recommending them, they were a bit too small (Asian hands? - I don't have big hands by western standards but size XL was still small). Function isn't that great either.

Problem in that is you need to know manufacturer specific sizing..
Yep, manufacturers don't like making things easy for the customer. I've known some here to try on items locally to get an idea of their 'manufacturer specific sizing' and then order online. The two old hags at the Paddock seem to be on the lookout for this though.

On Mesh / leather jackets - I have a perforated leather jacket that's perfect for the north here in the winter. I was actually freezing my ass off the better part of last week. Mesh is cooler though, so if you ride in the south, sure... they're not uncomfortable, hardly feel the protectors.

I have mesh pants / leather jacket in the winter, and mesh pants / mesh jacket in the summer and around town.

I find perforated leather fine for Thailand, even in the hot season as long as you're moving. From what I've read, I wouldn't trust mesh in the event of an off. It seems to melt onto your skin during a slide. Apparently, with regards to pants, Kevlar jeans are more useful. A mesh jacket may cut it if fully-armoured.

Although pricey, I still think perforated leather is the way to go.

As for gloves, I wear RS Taichi RS369 armored gloves (130 $, little wrist protection) for day to day riding and full protection Alpinestars GP Pro (230 $) for longer trips.

Edited by RusticCharm