Enabling Chinese Script On My Computer

vagabond48

My laptop in setup for English right now. My Chinese GF is staying with me and I want to enable Firefox to view Chinese websites as well as reading various other file types; PDF, DOC, Open Office etc. I tried configuring FF, and XP within Control Panel but without success. I also searched on Google but couldn't find simple instructions to do this.

Can someone either give me step by step instructions or point me to sites that will?

First of all, you should be on SP3. Is it because you are running a dodgy copy or just don't don't like to install updates?

It's very simple to do, as long as you have a Windows XP disc. http://mandarin.about.com/od/characters/ss/display_chars.htm

Since the licence isn't important for this sequence, you can pop along to your nearest source and pick up a copy of XP for 100 baht or so.

If you are wheelchair bound, I can provide you with a link for download.

First of all, you should be on SP3. Is it because you are running a dodgy copy or just don't don't like to install updates?

It's very simple to do, as long as you have a Windows XP disc. http://mandarin.about.com/od/characters/ss/display_chars.htm

Since the licence isn't important for this sequence, you can pop along to your nearest source and pick up a copy of XP for 100 baht or so.

There is NO NEED to be soooo negative.

I plan at some point to re-install XP Pro with SP3 with my own licensed XP Pro disk which came with my USA bought Dell laptop, thank you very much. Except for SP3, my OS is always up to date. Thanks for the helpful link.

I plan at some point to re-install XP Pro with SP3 with my own licensed XP Pro disk which came with my USA bought Dell laptop, thank you very much. Except for SP3, my OS is always up to date. Thanks for the helpful link.

Your 'licenced' DELL XP Pro SP3 disc is only licenced for use with the machine for which it is purchased. You will certainly run into trouble if your old machine is not a DELL, unless you have a suitable licence for the old machine.

What is the make and model of the older machine?

If I was negative, you wouldn't have received a positive reply. ;)

Your 'licenced' DELL XP Pro SP3 disc is only licenced for use with the machine for which it is purchased. You will certainly run into trouble if your old machine is not a DELL, unless you have a suitable licence for the old machine.

1st, again thanks for the link. It helped me add the Chinese script.

Please take the following as my constructive observation regarding your comments. Perhaps negative was not the right word.

You make unfounded assumptions such as;

"you should be on SP3" From what I have read, based on my needs, there was no pressing need to update to SP3 although as I wrote I planned to re-install my licensed XP Pro SP2 disk and update to SP3.

"Is it because you are running a dodgy copy or just don't don't like to install updates?" "pick up a copy of XP for 100 baht or so." "If you are wheelchair bound, I can provide you with a link for download." No, I didn't have a dodgy copy but my original licensed disk and I actually already downloaded SP3 many months ago and it is on my HD ready to be used. As I already wrote except for SP3, I update my OS with the latest updates as soon as I get an alert from MS.

"Your 'licenced' DELL XP Pro SP3 disc is only licenced for use with the machine" Why would you assume that the laptop I referred to was not the Dell that I purchased over 3 years ago in the US which came with a licensed OS disk.

"What is the make and model of the older machine?" I never referred to more than 1 machine and I only have 1 machine.

Edited by vagabond48

1st, again thanks for the link. It helped me add the Chinese script.

Please take the following as my constructive observation regarding your comments. Perhaps negative was not the right word.

You make unfounded assumptions such as;

"you should be on SP3" From what I have read, based on my needs, there was no pressing need to update to SP3 although as I wrote I planned to re-install my licensed XP Pro SP2 disk and update to SP3.

"Is it because you are running a dodgy copy or just don't don't like to install updates?" "pick up a copy of XP for 100 baht or so." "If you are wheelchair bound, I can provide you with a link for download." No, I didn't have a dodgy copy but my original licensed disk and I actually already downloaded SP3 many months ago and it is on my HD ready to be used. As I already wrote except for SP3, I update my OS with the latest updates as soon as I get an alert from MS.

"Your 'licenced' DELL XP Pro SP3 disc is only licenced for use with the machine" Why would you assume that the laptop I referred to was not the Dell that I purchased over 3 years ago in the US which came with a licensed OS disk.

"What is the make and model of the older machine?" I never referred to more than 1 machine and I only have 1 machine.

Thank you for your considered reply.

The style of writing can appear harsher in print than the spoken word.

But imagine it spoken to a friend or colleague.

It certainly would have been as you describe had I had not proffered a solution.

Where you wrote "I plan at some point to re-install XP Pro with SP3 with my own licensed XP Pro disk..." it sounded like you had an DELL XP Pro SP3 disc at hand, which would mean that it came from a newer machine than the one that you described. :).

All fun and games eh? :)

Have a nice day. :)