Dating In Chiangmai...

vspin134

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is a long shot, but is there any chance we can agree that Thai women can't be characterized with simple stereotypes like the arrogant "I don't do farang" socialites and the shameless "anything for money" poor girls?

Nah, probably not. After all, the appeal of stereotypes is that they relieve people of the need to treat other people as individuals and (god forbid!) think before judging.

if they stopped acting like that people wouldn't see them that way would they? it's only a generalisation but it is pretty prevalant

Oh I'm sorry, people have been applying generalizations, not stereotypes. My mistake.

Perhaps you can help me here. I've taught and socialized with young through old, poor through rich, minimally educated through well educated Thai people, and I've been unable to draw the same broad generalizations that others seem to find so easily. Am I missing something?

I know this is a long shot, but is there any chance we can agree that Thai women can't be characterized with simple stereotypes like the arrogant "I don't do farang" socialites and the shameless "anything for money" poor girls?

Nah, probably not. After all, the appeal of stereotypes is that they relieve people of the need to treat other people as individuals and (god forbid!) think before judging.

if they stopped acting like that people wouldn't see them that way would they? it's only a generalisation but it is pretty prevalant

Oh I'm sorry, people have been applying generalizations, not stereotypes. My mistake.

Perhaps you can help me here. I've taught and socialized with young through old, poor through rich, minimally educated through well educated Thai people, and I've been unable to draw the same broad generalizations that others seem to find so easily. Am I missing something?

I think teaching and socializing is different than dating

There are some people that date many Thai girls so it makes sense that they might see things differently than a teacher, or someone with a wife or steady TGF

Edited by PlanetX

yes you are but I believe, through your posts, that I cannot help you discover what it is

There are some people that date many Thai girls so it makes sense that they might see things differently than a teacher, or someone with a wife or steady TGF

yes entirely true - anyway my intention was not to hurt nor malign - but what I have stated is, broadly, true... anyway (tongue in cheek) if you can do - if you can't teach ;)

Sorry newby, sounds like you are just too young to have much understanding of anything.

We shall just have to agree to differ until you are old enough to share common experiences of life.

PS

I am more than happy to talk and associate with people of any social strata in any country.

I am over 50 and have had between 6 and 8 lovers in my entire life (3 were Thai, the others English).

I really wonder which of us is the sexpat? I'm not sure I have had enough lovers to meet the criteria.

wow you have had 8 lovers in your life...did love just end or what happened (if you dont mind me asking...i have had hard time understanding love)

wow you have had 8 lovers in your life...did love just end or what happened (if you dont mind me asking...i have had hard time understanding love)

Yes.. That's just a ridiculously low number for someone based in Thailand. What went wrong?

As for the beautiful addition on having trouble understanding love, I think it depends on the definition. The number of lovers I've had in my life, depending on the definition of 'had', could be as low as 2, or as high as 147. Depending on who you count.

Yes.. That's just a ridiculously low number for someone based in Thailand. What went wrong?

As for the beautiful addition on having trouble understanding love, I think it depends on the definition. The number of lovers I've had in my life, depending on the definition of 'had', could be as low as 2, or as high as 147. Depending on who you count.

haha funny... 147 lor? counting are we? but seriously the term 'lover' is interesting - I would be a very low number but a horrendously high number if counting all my bedmates (or sofamates too) - in fact i'd better shut up pretty quickly :whistling:

haha funny... 147 lor? counting are we? but seriously the term 'lover' is interesting - I would be a very low number but a horrendously high number if counting all my bedmates (or sofamates too) - in fact i'd better shut up pretty quickly :whistling:

I used to count in an Outlook note file, but then Outlook crashed. This was before there were cloud based note taking applications. So I'm better organized now, but somehow the magic of keeping count has escaped me so the number is an educated guesstimate.

yes entirely true - anyway my intention was not to hurt nor malign - but what I have stated is, broadly, true... anyway (tongue in cheek) if you can do - if you can't teach ;)

When I wrote 'socializing' I meant dating, getting together with friends, etc. I'm puzzled by "I think teaching and socializing is different than dating". does PlanetX date in an anti-social manner?

The people who date many Thai girls are labeled as butterflies, and are unlikely to attract women other than the ones who want a man who'll spend money on them. Being a butterfly is likely to preclude that person from getting to know a wide variety of Thai women.

Statistically it's known as biased sampling. For example, if three radio stations, one Rock, one Country, and one Rap had a call-in poll for the best song of the year, the poll results would reflect the tastes of each stations listeners, so the Rock station would have the best song being rock, the Country station would have the best song being country, and the Rap station have the best song being rap.

Similarly, men who's dating experience has primarily been with opportunistic poor women who want a boyfriend or husband with money will, based on their experience, conclude that Thai women only want a man with money. This does not mean that all Thai women are this way, it means these men aren't experiencing as much of Thai society as they think they are.

And the fact that some of the posters appear to have been rejected by "hi-so" Thai women does not necessarily mean that all upper class Thai women have no interest in foreign men. It could be that these posters are not as desirable as they think they are.

When I wrote 'socializing' I meant dating, getting together with friends, etc. I'm puzzled by "I think teaching and socializing is different than dating". does PlanetX date in an anti-social manner?

The people who date many Thai girls are labeled as butterflies, and are unlikely to attract women other than the ones who want a man who'll spend money on them. Being a butterfly is likely to preclude that person from getting to know a wide variety of Thai women.

Statistically it's known as biased sampling. For example, if three radio stations, one Rock, one Country, and one Rap had a call-in poll for the best song of the year, the poll results would reflect the tastes of each stations listeners, so the Rock station would have the best song being rock, the Country station would have the best song being country, and the Rap station have the best song being rap.

Similarly, men who's dating experience has primarily been with opportunistic poor women who want a boyfriend or husband with money will, based on their experience, conclude that Thai women only want a man with money. This does not mean that all Thai women are this way, it means these men aren't experiencing as much of Thai society as they think they are.

And the fact that some of the posters appear to have been rejected by "hi-so" Thai women does not necessarily mean that all upper class Thai women have no interest in foreign men. It could be that these posters are not as desirable as they think they are.

of course we are making generalisations but I think you are being very optimistic and keeping your 'rose coloured' specs on - I do believe that 'love' here is far more 'practical' than in most other counteries - 'practical' meaning money based rather than romance - and your post supports this as you point out that many hiso girls here will only go with hiso guys - i rest my case

Yes that's why I said 6 to 8, depending how/who you count ....... my low end isn't as low as yours, my high end is a lot lower as I don't really do casual sex.

6 lovers have taken me from age 18 until age 54 ............. with about a 6 -12 months of abstinence in that time.

So however you like to count, I don't really consider myself a sex-pat or a sex tourist.

Yes that's why I said 6 to 8, depending how/who you count ....... my low end isn't as low as yours, my high end is a lot lower as I don't really do casual sex.

6 lovers have taken me from age 18 until age 54 ............. with about a 6 -12 months of abstinence in that time.

So however you like to count, I don't really consider myself a sex-pat or a sex tourist.

I guess people have differing sex drives - I don't wear mine as a badge of honour it's just the way I am

I don't have a very high sex drive. But unless you actively resist, it's kind of inevitable in Thailand.

You don't have to use 100s of different partners though!

variety is the spice of life - I think the issue is that you can easily here and cannot in 'farangland'

"I think the issue is that you can easily here and cannot in Farrangland"

I think the issue is that you cannot. That is what makes you a sexpat. Coming here to prey on less fortunate, because you don't know how to meet women the real way.

I think that PJclark is right. A person still can have a high sex drive and still have only one partner.

Those that keep tally of their partners is a sign of sexual addiction.

Having multiple partners doesn't make you more of a man it just puts you at risk for STD's.

I think the issue is that you cannot. That is what makes you a sexpat. Coming here to prey on less fortunate, because you don't know how to meet women the real way.

I think that PJclark is right. A person still can have a high sex drive and still have only one partner.

Having multiple partners doesn't make you more of a man it just puts you at risk for STD's.

don't start judging too quickly - I did well in farangland too! I have never kept a tally of sexual partners I think you are referring to another poster? nothing wrong with consensual sex - sounds like you are on a high horse!

you can look through Thai Love Links and see that there really isnt a sample bias

If you think the women who sign up for Thai Love Links are representative of all women in Thailand, then there is no point in trying to reason with you.

I never said they are represent "all women in thailand" - I said it isnt a sample bias

Its always extremes with you

What about all of the Thai men that have multiple partners including a wife - are they sexnatives?

Thai women view sex differently than their western counterparts but I am sure you will argue that point too

you can look through Thai Love Links and see that there really isnt a sample bias

If you think the women who sign up for Thai Love Links are representative of all women in Thailand, then there is no point in trying to reason with you.

I never said they are represent "all women in thailand" - I said it isnt a sample bias

Sample bias means using an unrepresentative sample as representative of a larger population. The women who sign up for Thai Love Links are unlikely to be representative of all Thai women, therefore using them as representative of all Thai women is sample bias.

However I will concede that women who sign up for Thai Love Links are probably representative of Thai women who have some grasp of English and are eager, if not desperate, to find a financially secure man who will take care of them. I simply maintain that these women do not represent all Thai women.

For the record, I do know single Thai women who have achieved financial security on their own, or are in the process of doing so, who do not wish to be dependent on a man. They range from early twenties to early forties, are pleasant, interesting, intelligent, and range from moderately to very attractive. Not all Thai women are scheming to get into a western man's wallet.

Sample bias means using an unrepresentative sample as representative of a larger population. The women who sign up for Thai Love Links are unlikely to be representative of all Thai women, therefore using them as representative of all Thai women is sample bias.

However I will concede that women who sign up for Thai Love Links are probably representative of Thai women who have some grasp of English and are eager, if not desperate, to find a financially secure man who will take care of them. I simply maintain that these women do not represent all Thai women.

For the record, I do know single Thai women who have achieved financial security on their own, or are in the process of doing so, who do not wish to be dependent on a man. They range from early twenties to early forties, are pleasant, interesting, intelligent, and range from moderately to very attractive. Not all Thai women are scheming to get into a western man's wallet.

with respect you may know 'some' - I also know 'some' who think all men are bastards - but they are not the 'norm'.

As has been stated Thai girls (well actually Asian girls) view sex differently than in farangland - it's an 'exchange' for them - sometimes for dinner, sometimes for 'helping', sometimes for love - but it is always 'practical' and they just don't see it the same way. Anyway this is fascinating but we are veering off topic? be a very interesting thread in it's own right and I may start a new one so we can discuss it more? cheers

Am I the only one on this site that doesn't have to resort to bar girls or online dating?

I have met some pretty interesting girls online that I probably would not have met otherwise due to location, social circles, etc

Edited by PlanetX

Am I the only one on this site that doesn't have to resort to bar girls or online dating?

Online dating just casts a wider net - its not an exclusivity

well I admit, for one, that i do go online but not exclusively and I have met lot's of lovely girls and built some good friendships too

don't start judging too quickly - I did well in farangland too! I have never kept a tally of sexual partners I think you are referring to another poster? nothing wrong with consensual sex - sounds like you are on a high horse!

Even if he fed his horse crack cocaine it couldn't be higher. :rolleyes:

Probably not. But who is talking about bar girls? Oh, you.