Important Grooming Question

Charlie_Rain

I aim to be teaching in Thailand 2011. I have some queries that I'm certain you can help me with:

I always read/hear about the importance of dressing smart. That's cool, and I look pretty dam_n slick in nice trousers, shirt and smart shoes. My two main questions are:

1. I currently rock the Manicured Scruff look. About a week or so of growth, and the neck shaved clean. This look is fresh, contemporary, cool, and easy to maintain. (see attached image, or picture a Jason Statham with more hair)

http://menshair.about.com/od/facialhair/ig/Facial-Hair-Styles2/Facial-Hair---Manicured-Scruff.htm

But do Thais allow such grooming in their schools? This look is WAY smarter than 5 O'clock shadow, or a few days growth.

Do many Ajarns have beard or other such facial hair?

2. Same goes for the tie in Thailand. In the UK we no longer have to wear ties in the office. It is so often more smart, and certainly easier, to go tieless and top-button undone.

But is this possible when teaching in Thailand? It probably depends on what schools and areas right? I intend to teach in private language schools at first, in either Chiang Mai or Hat Yai/Trang. Do Muslims maybe see it differently than Buddhists?

Many thanks guys, and I look forward to your feedback. I want to be a well-presented, fashionable male teacher, but as comfortable as possible.

Oh, oh, I think you may have a problem. It doesn't matter how the students view you, it is how the boss views you.

When you start work, you should be clean shaven and wear a long-sleeved shirt with a tie. This will impress them. This will cause you the least amount of stress and keep you under the radar. Thai's are by nature quite conservative. You don't want to start off with them watching you too closely or with a jaudiced eye.

If you want to have a different look, you can start growing facial hair after you are well established.

Best of luck.

Oh, oh, I think you may have a problem. It doesn't matter how the students view you, it is how the boss views you.

When you start work, you should be clean shaven and wear a long-sleeved shirt with a tie. This will impress them. This will cause you the least amount of stress and keep you under the radar. Thai's are by nature quite conservative. You don't want to start off with them watching you too closely or with a jaudiced eye.

If you want to have a different look, you can start growing facial hair after you are well established.

Best of luck.

Thanks for that Scott. I am not attached to my (very smart and short) beard. If it has to go, it has to go. Same for long-sleeves and a tie.

Do these Thai bosses not keep abreast of the latest male grooming trends? How inconsiderate of them!

Do these Thai bosses not keep abreast of the latest male grooming trends? How inconsiderate of them!

Are you joking? Do you think that western bosses in your country keep up with the trends of Asian fashion.

Just do what the locals do and try and fit in. Don't complain about simple things.

Are you joking? Do you think that western bosses in your country keep up with the trends of Asian fashion.

Just do what the locals do and try and fit in. Don't complain about simple things.

Erm, yes, I was joking.

If you are working in a language school and teaching English to business people, then that is the look they will feel most comfortable with. If you have University students, I would say it's about the same, but a little more liberal. If it's young children, it doesn't matter as much.

It is the administration that has to be happy, however. Thailand is conservative and how you look is important. Appearance is important. That said, once you are established a more liberal look might be acceptable.

By the way, it's good to see some people who aren't taking everything too seriously. A sense of humor is important for teachers and students.

I hope all goes well for you. Best of luck.

I am extremely liberal--with one exception. That is the abuse of the word "rock" as in the following from the OP:

"I currently rock the Manicured Scruff look."

Are you sure you're from the UK? If so, I am greatly distressed to see this particular type of language abuse spreading. It is something that I read frequently--despite my frequent submission of complaints--on the CNET U.S. website. I haven't heard anyone around me say it out loud yet, but when and if I do, rest assured that said language criminal will be soundly beaten.

Good luck in your travels, OP. I think you will find that being clean shaven might be a bit of a relief in the sweltering heat. As one who maintains (NOT rocks) a similar look most of the cool season here in California, I always shave daily when in Thailand. Even as a tourist, appearance is that important...

I am extremely liberal--with one exception. That is the abuse of the word "rock" as in the following from the OP:

"I currently rock the Manicured Scruff look."

Are you sure you're from the UK? If so, I am greatly distressed to see this particular type of language abuse spreading. It is something that I read frequently--despite my frequent submission of complaints--on the CNET U.S. website. I haven't heard anyone around me say it out loud yet, but when and if I do, rest assured that said language criminal will be soundly beaten.

Good luck in your travels, OP. I think you will find that being clean shaven might be a bit of a relief in the sweltering heat. As one who maintains (NOT rocks) a similar look most of the cool season here in California, I always shave daily when in Thailand. Even as a tourist, appearance is that important...

I know it's a bit of an Americanisation KPM, but I use Rock quite alot. To rock a beard is just to pull it off with style (I'm sure you know that). I appreciate your anger, and I will seriously think about any future uses of rock in this context.

What would you have me use? I SPORT a beard? I WEAR a beard? I HAVE a beard?

For a thread that is basically some guy asking 'Can I have a beard and wear a tie?' - it's done pretty well to get almost 300 views from TV members. I think the title-word 'grooming' could be taken out of context and I just imagine everyone clicking on it and going 'Oh, that kind of grooming....of course...that's exactly what I thought....'. Seriously though, when you come to Thailand, just wear what they tell you to wear.