Colombian drug lord 'el Cuchillo' confirmed dead - President Santos says

News_Editor

Colombian drug lord 'el Cuchillo' confirmed dead - President Santos says

2010-12-30 10:40:55 GMT+7 (ICT)

BOGOTA, COLOMBIA (BNO NEWS) -- Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos on Wednesday confirmed that drug lord Pedro Oliverio Guerrero was killed during a Christmas day military operation at the wanted man's remote camp.

Guerrero, commonly known as "el Cuchillo" (the Knife), was one of Colombia's most wanted drug traffickers, and was known for his brutal tactics and threats. President Santos went on to call him "the killer of killers. During his criminal career, he ordered at least 3,000 death, the National Police Commissioner Oscar Naranjo said.

The feared drug lord was one of Colombia's top right-wing paramilitary leaders as the government had been offering $2.5 million for information leading to his capture. He was dubbed "el Cuchillo" as he preferred using a knife to threaten and decapitate peasants he suspected of supporting leftist rebels.

During the Christmas day raid, which was called operation 'Diamond,' 23 aircraft, including four Black Hawks that initiated the attack, reportedly made their way into Guerrero's camp near Mapiripan, located in the state of Meta.

The operation was expected to last around 10 minutes, but heavy confrontations injured two police officers, which prolonged the operation. At one point, around 300 officers surrounded the 34 individuals in the camp.

In addition, security forces were able to capture seven additional members of Guerrero's organization, including Harold Humberto Rojas Pineros, who is considered to be second in command.

Security forces proceeded with operation 'Razor Blade,' in search of Guerrero throughout the area. His body was later found, and initial reports indicate that after heavy drinking during the evening and suffering gun wounds from the operation, he fled the scene but drowned at a nearby sewer while trying to escape.

After more than two years of investigation, security officials determined Guerrero's location, but they decided not to conduct an aerial attack as information revealed that women and children would be present at the camp, officials said.

President Santos recognized the valiant efforts by the country's security forces, saying he wanted to "pay them tribute."

"They were shot by the gangsters and unfortunately died," Santos said. "I send my condolences to their families. They will always be remembered as heroes of the country."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-12-30

Every time I read articles like this I wonder what 'dent' it will make in the drug trade. I know the banks get wealthier as they will never admit the funds there and they will never release them, only leverage them for themselves. Interesting to investigate - spoils of war! Good riddance anyway, a sewer rate who died in his environment.