Battery Charger

CGW

I bought a battery operated Dremel from the USA, arrived with no problems and no duty to pay (shipping here has got a lot easier recently) took it out the box and plugged battery in to charge - which wasn't a good idea, never even considered it was 110v, after the bang I unplugged it! Stupid I know, I tried to buy one from the UK, as i had thought of this, but nobody would ship to Thailand.

Anybody know if there is any where in town that will be able to repair and convert this to 220v?

Thanks

Edited by CGW

The charger is "toasted".

I seriously doubt there is anyway to repair this, but you can try. The "bang" was most likely either a capacitor and/or a voltage regulator. For 220 operation, the charger transformer will require a different number of windings to step down from 220 to whatever the dc regulator voltage is rated at . Most chargers these days are molded cases and short of sawing them open, a throw away item. I'm not sure where you are located, but there seems to be small electrical repair shops just about on every street in the larger cities. Try a TV repair shop. Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Welby MD

Dremel has an Australian customer service site. If I recall the voltage used in Australia is the same as Thailand (220v). You might check with them for a new battery charger and if they would ship parts to Thailand.

The customer service link is:

http://www.dremel.com/en-au/customerservice/ServiceAndRepair/Pages/default.aspx

I noticed the cordless Dremels are different voltages (depending on model). If yours is the 12v model, then maybe Amorn (located in the basement of Tukcom) could make up a charger using parts (cord and plug) from your trashed charger. They have done that for me in the past for some devices that I couldn't replace or get a charger.

^ Thanks for above BB, great idea, will head there and see what they can come up with.

Dremel don't appear to sell direct to the public, they have main agents, very difficult to find one who will post to Thailand for some strange reason. I buy quite a lot online and without a doubt the Dremel was the most difficult item to find a dealer who would post here. i initially tried to buy from UK & Australia because of the charger voltage, then completley forgot when i received it!