Max Number Of 15-Day Entries

Because we didn't get a tourist visa this time around we've been doing a border run from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai every 2 weeks (after our initial 30-days) this year, and our stay -- our air tickets -- are for slightly more than 90 days. So we're wondering if there is some maximum number of times we can do that visa run, or if it's simply limited according to the maximum duration you can stay (which of course we won't be getting anywhere near). Does anyone have recent information on this?

There is no maximum period of stay and there is no set limit on the number of visa exempt entries. However after 3 or 4 you may be asked to explain your reasons to help determine you are not illegally working.

Thanks for the fast reply and clear info. Seems fair enough. We'll take something along to show we've got our air tickets back home.

Why dont you just go and get a FREE 60 day tourist visa, then extend that by 30 days at immigration and you have the 90 days covered and no repeated runs to the border.

Because to go somewhere and do that it would cost plenty, so free is not free. We'd originally intended to do that with a nice break via a trip to Vientiane via Nok Air's flight from CM to Udon Thani, but they dropped that flight. So rather than spend some $900+ for the two of us we're just doing it the old-fashioned way. (True, we could do the bus but that really sounds like a killer at our ages.) Next time we'll not count on any airline keeping an advertised flight going and just make sure we get our tourist visa before leaving home.

There is no maximum period of stay and there is no set limit on the number of visa exempt entries. However after 3 or 4 you may be asked to explain your reasons to help determine you are not illegally working.

I did this for 7 months now and never heard that question. But it depends on the border I guess. Just do it with an agency, my only problem is that my passport is full now because of the full page visa of Cambodia/Laos ...

Oh and the 60 day visa is not so bad in price, it'd 4500 ฿ including bus drive and food.

Edited by Saenchai

I did this for 7 months now and never heard that question. But it depends on the border I guess. Just do it with an agency, my only problem is that my passport is full now because of the full page visa of Cambodia/Laos ...

Oh and the 60 day visa is not so bad in price, it'd 4500 ฿ including bus drive and food.

Yes, I was glad I'd gotten extra pages for my passport, but now the Burmese are doing a nice small stamp instead of the full page, so I've got plenty left. :)

Geeez, what a 'pain the butt" -- to have to make that Visa Run 4 times in the next 60 days .

We just did it 2 days ago, for our 1-time 60-day renewal of our double-entry Tourist Visa. Thank goodness.

Anyway, OP refers to "at their age" --- presumably older (like us) 50+?

If so, don't forget to consider the option next year of going for Retirement Visa, IF the Thai Foreign Ministry decides

not to renew the 'free" Tourist Visa and imposes a fee. Compare the costs/hassle of having to make the Border Run -- even once.

We certainly will. IF the Tourist Visa cost goes to around US$50/pp, if you add the bus cost to Mae Sai, and the $10 for Burma, your close to US$100.

At that point, I'd opt for getting a Non-Imm. "O", and then applying to Thai Immig. for the 1-year Retirement extension (with proof of Bank Funds or Pension, of course)

and a single-reentry fee for the following year.

Yes, I was glad I'd gotten extra pages for my passport, but now the Burmese are doing a nice small stamp instead of the full page, so I've got plenty left. :)

I may be mistaken, but I thought there was a limit to the amount of time you could be in the Kingdom as a tourist. Is there not a limit of 180 days in any one year period ?

Edited by tigermonkey

No, thee was one for visa exempt entreis but that has been revoked 2 years ago. Instead you now get 30 days by air or 15 days by land arriving without a visa (for nationals of qualifiying countries)

So theoretically you can fly out and back , on the same day 12 times a year , provided you are from a quaifying country ?