Farang Food In Chalong

petercallen

LOL. Funny stuff. Tolsti, you are a character and a half! Made my day.

Next time I walk into a restaurant, I will look towards the Thais behind the counters picking their noses and decide if it is there that I order, or sit down at a table, like 99.9999999 % of the restaurants in Phuket.

What a crazy idea... that is, to expect the Thai staff to assist a customer and not just stare at the customers for 15 minutes. LOL. stupid me!

Edited by Somtamnication

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not yet mentioned and easy to overlook in Rawai but one of my favorites. Near Siam Commercial Bank about 500 meters before the beach road.

http://rainforest-garden.net/realindex.html

Excellent European food for a good price. Going there regularly and can recommend most. Thai food is available but I cannot judge as I never tried but the

rest is very recommendable. Unfortunately they close mid of April in order to relocate.

Edit: forgot to mention no lunch there as they open at 5 p.m.

Edited by PCA

Not yet mentioned and easy to overlook in Rawai but one of my favorites. Near Siam Commercial Bank about 500 meters before the beach road.

Excellent European food for a good price. Going there regularly and can recommend most. Thai food is available but I cannot judge as I never tried but the

rest is very recommendable. Unfortunately they close mid of April in order to relocate.

I was previously living very close to that place, but never dined there. Just looking through their photos I recognised the Chef and his wife.

They used to have a small place in Patong, just off the Beach rd near Bangla. Named Jazz or similar.

Ate there many times, excellent steaks and lamb.

I'll have to pay them a visit, but I'm now in Patong!

I was previously living very close to that place, but never dined there. Just looking through their photos I recognised the Chef and his wife.

They used to have a small place in Patong, just off the Beach rd near Bangla. Named Jazz or similar.

Ate there many times, excellent steaks and lamb.

I'll have to pay them a visit, but I'm now in Patong!

I know them from there as well as I used to go as well to the Grillhuette in the same soi where they had their restaurant that time. Since about 2 years they are in Rawai and I cannot think of a better restaurant at the moment. Since I went there pretty often and had a chat with the owners occasionally they could also arrange for dishes not lised on the menu like Goose, Turkey or Deer ragout, ... always a pleasure for me since I got mostly rid of thai food and stepped back to my gourmet roots, hehehe.

I tried the Sandwich Shoppe on Wednesday for breakfast. I was there 4 years ago and was not impressed. Thought I would give Woody another chance.

Great ambience, great selection of breads and muffins, etc.

My only complaint is that the three of us (two of MY guests) sat at the table. For 15 minutes. Finally I got up and asked when can we be served. The girl behind the counter put a blue and a pink order sheet on the counter and walked away.

Now, why not tell us, somewhow, that we must get our asses up and order at the counter? No signs that points us to that counter. The two girls just looked at us for those 15 minutes, while serving others, or chatting by the sub breads. Not once were we told anything.

All three plates arrived together. A first in Thailand.

Will go back again now that I know the system, that I had to learn the hard way.

Please do help the girls out there and use the sheet. I was there one moring when a guy (truly loud guy too) said "I want foot long chicken-bacon and foot long chicken club" (or some other chicken sub) "this one on this bread that one on that bread".

Well, his order came out with two chicken clubs on different bread, then he got replacement on same bread, meanwhile there are 10 other customers the girls are trying to handle orders for and this guy is getting all frustrated " not that hard, shouldn't take so long"!! Girls apologising profusely.....

I just wanted to turn to the guy and say, if you had stepped up, checked the boxes on the sheet, you would have been outta here 15 minutes ago a****hole.

Just tried Sunday Roast at the Green man. The Meat was quite nice but I think they must of tried to cook the vegetables in a fridge, undercooked is an understatement. Yorkshire pudding / Roti was all runny inside too. Didn't bother to complain as I had already read some bad reports about it, and guess this is the norm. On the other hand the Sunday roast at Happy days on the pier road is really quite nice. I'll be back there next week!

Just tried Sunday Roast at the Green man. The Meat was quite nice but I think they must of tried to cook the vegetables in a fridge, undercooked is an understatement. Yorkshire pudding / Roti was all runny inside too. Didn't bother to complain as I had already read some bad reports about it, and guess this is the norm. On the other hand the Sunday roast at Happy days on the pier road is really quite nice. I'll be back there next week!

How do people still fall victim to the Green man?

I thought the word had spread wide and far on how bad their food is as it's been that way for the 7 years i been here.

Never heard one good review, ever.

I thought the word had spread wide and far on how bad their food is as it's been that way for the 7 years i been here.

Over the years I have on occasion enjoyed my meal at the Greenman. All depends who (even if) there is a real chef on duty. About 4 years ago there was a very good chef called John who consistently produced quality meals. But after 6 months he had enough of the Greenman owners and resigned. That's the real problem with the food, lack of continuity of a quality chef.

I tried the Sandwich Shoppe on Wednesday for breakfast. I was there 4 years ago and was not impressed. Thought I would give Woody another chance.

My only complaint is that the three of us (two of MY guests) sat at the table. For 15 minutes. Finally I got up and asked when can we be served. The girl behind the counter put a blue and a pink order sheet on the counter and walked away.

Now, why not tell us, somewhow, that we must get our asses up and order at the counter? No signs that points us to that counter. The two girls just looked at us for those 15 minutes, while serving others, or chatting by the sub breads. Not once were we told anything.

Will go back again now that I know the system, that I had to learn the hard way.

I assume you went to the shop on Chao Fah East...

I think the staff feel that they're imposing if they go up to a table of farang and ask for an order. We have people who come in and just use the free Internet, without ordering. That's OK. So it's kind of a cross-cultural judgment call. They need to be a little more aggressive.

I should probably put a sign up. Any suggestions for what it might say? "Order at the counter, please"...

This will be item #1 on our next training session. Thanks!

Edited by woodyleonhard

So the Vietnamese place is inside Fishermans Way? All the way inside? Been living here for 9 years, never been inside that "Way".

I think the Vietnamese place they're referring to is in the new strip mall next to the entrance to Fisherman's Way. (The owner of Fisherman's Way put in a rather large new strip mall, out on the main road.) I haven't been down there yet, but I hear it's very good Vietnamese.

I assume you went to the shop on Chao Fah East...

I think the staff feel that they're imposing if they go up to a table of farang and ask for an order. We have people who come in and just use the free Internet, without ordering. That's OK. So it's kind of a cross-cultural judgment call. They need to be a little more aggressive.

I should probably put a sign up. Any suggestions for what it might say? "Order at the counter, please"...

This will be item #1 on our next training session. Thanks!

Just put the pencils and paper on the tables....no training required and no extra expense for signsrolleyes.gif

Best thing about the green man is the door on the way out

Let's see if they respond like Woody?

Let's see if they respond like Woody?

Train the staff to point at the door?whistling.gif

I was also very disappointed with Greenman, but according to article in recent Phuket Post, the Greenman is all a uk expat would require !!!!!! it is a shame that the article is not yet online as most misleading :realangry:

I was also very disappointed with Greenman, but according to article in recent Phuket Post, the Greenman is all a uk expat would require !!!!!! it is a shame that the article is not yet online as most misleading :realangry:

Probably written before all this bad prees.. I am not surprised the owner has not replied to all these coments..i think it shows the kind of person he is......I think the Green Man and the owner are a bit like..Thaksin.. Both have passed there ...sell by date... oh by the way i was one of his first customers when he opened....

. and i have not eaten there for over 4 years but i did go to the PANTOMINE to suport the Andaman players...

Don't they like warm beer and a cold reception in the UK?

Green man fits those requirements along with the dry meat and cold vegetables.

anywho, I went la bella vita for a pizza it was decent. They have a 10% off resident cardsmile.gif

they gave me one of those, too! have you (or anyone else) tried the new "pizza lovers" restaurant across the road? it seems there are a lot of new pizza/italian restaurants popping up all over the place!

Probably written before all this bad prees.. I am not surprised the owner has not replied to all these coments..i think it shows the kind of person he is......I think the Green Man and the owner are a bit like..Thaksin.. Both have passed there ...sell by date... oh by the way i was one of his first customers when he opened....

. and i have not eaten there for over 4 years but i did go to the PANTOMINE to suport the Andaman players...

So did I, but I didn't eat the overpriced, unsavory looking buffet or buy a drink!

I like the pizza sold from the side car the best, the one with the Italian flag as a roof is vert yummy

unfortunately, i have yet to see the pizza with the side cart sold on sai yuan road. heard it hangs out around freedom bar (which i am not a fan of) and the girlie bars on the chalong pier road. if i do see the pizza cart out and about in sai yuan, i will chase it down as you are the 4th person to tell me the pizza is yummy!

I like the pizza sold from the side car the best, the one with the Italian flag as a roof is vert yummy

unfortunately, i have yet to see the pizza with the side cart sold on sai yuan road. heard it hangs out around freedom bar (which i am not a fan of) and the girlie bars on the chalong pier road. if i do see the pizza cart out and about in sai yuan, i will chase it down as you are the 4th person to tell me the pizza is yummy!

There you go

post-123178-0-35462700-1296632438_thumb.

post-123178-0-56029600-1296632469_thumb.

post-123178-0-14538100-1296632493_thumb.

There you go

Looks interesting, did someone say he hangs out in Chalong. Where & what time ?