Farang Food In Chalong

petercallen

seems I got this in the wrong spot, I was refering to a small open air "box kitchen" next to villa market.

Sounds great, good one, thanks,.. Geez, I can pick em (NOT) I ate at an open air small place there, the manager used to manage a 5 star restaurant

in BKK, I just had the urge for some chips... took 25min (one other customer there) outside was burnt and the inside crunchy, I has hungry but could not

eat half of them, not fit for a dog... B65 I think..

THAT place i think is samkong.steak... i wrote a good report on it 2 weeks ago..but its gone downhill..very fast,i have had the same problem as you,waiting ages and getting the order wrong and serving rubbish food....i think the main reason is the manager that was there has left and gone to work in Kohlak ...i have noticed they dont have many customers now..

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems I got this in the wrong spot, I was refering to a small open air "box kitchen" next to villa market.

Sounds great, good one, thanks,.. Geez, I can pick em (NOT) I ate at an open air small place there, the manager used to manage a 5 star restaurant

in BKK, I just had the urge for some chips... took 25min (one other customer there) outside was burnt and the inside crunchy, I has hungry but could not

eat half of them, not fit for a dog... B65 I think..

THAT place i think is samkong.steak... i wrote a good report on it 2 weeks ago..but its gone downhill..very fast,i have had the same problem as you,waiting ages and getting the order wrong and serving rubbish food....i think the main reason is the manager that was there has left and gone to work in Kohlak ...i have noticed they dont have many customers now..

And that is the thread gone full circle!

Captain hooks near ninas car rentals and sailor restaraunt in chalong beats fatty's hands down!

what do you recommend for food there? large portions?

Anything pork! The germans know their pork dishes....It has good servings and i think its well priced...nice setting too....not too many motorbikes buzzing past and the staff are allways good when im there!!

The Pork Knuckle Special (on Fridays, I think) is really good - and big!

Had to laugh! :lol:

Even the picture of the back room of Dibuk restaurant that they've put on the web shows the bare brick wall with the plaster falling off...

dibukrestaurant_03.jpg

I keep thinking that one day I'll walk in and it will be fixed, but it never happens...

Is it supposed to be a "feature"? :D

But the food is excellent, consistent and reasonably priced.

Apart from the rabbit. Very disappointed with that.

Most Thais I know do not eat or cook lamb. They simply dislike lamb/smell.

NZ lamb leg is only 440 baht/kg at Macro, so we do our Sunday roasts at home :P

2 weeks ago it was Aussie lamb at 440 baht/kg they have NZ lamb back in stock now 330 baht/kg

Ripped of again (joking):)

dont mind as long as I get some lamb :P

I used to get my lamb from the shop at Don's Mall. I'll give Makro a go.

Just a comment on farang food restaurants in general in Thailand, how fricking hard is it to get the staff to bring the appetizers first, or everyones food at the same time, or drink refills when you're finished. or an offer if you'd like anything else or the check when everyones plates are cleared, etc. etc. etc.

Even the long-standing restaurants can't seem to get this right.

Wine Connection do, usually. The older waitress who speaks excellent English even remembers to bring the orange juice first, then the breakfast and when I'm ready they'll bring the hot tea. You just have to train them. :)

The traffic jam at the till is very real though. I usually say "check bin" 10 minutes before I want to leave! :D

Nobody going to mentioned Indian food?

Mr India in the parade of shops on the right on the way to Chalong pier is my first choice, but a very "English" version of Indian food. Large portions though.

Red Chilli two doors away from A&J's (he's finishing tomorrow, BTW) on Rawai beach road is more authentic, IMHO. But I could easily eat two servings at a time, they're so small.

Red Chilli two doors away from A&J's (he's finishing tomorrow, BTW) on Rawai beach road is more authentic, IMHO. But I could easily eat two servings at a time, they're so small.

He moved ages ago.

Now Mr. Asok is on the opposite side of the road and not far from the Laguna Bars.

We tried the Kebab House today,nothing special..tried the doner kebab,no fresh vegetables in it just sauce.Chicken tasteless.(in menu picture has tomato and onion,salad)

The staff also used a Scale to measure the amount of chicken to use in the Kebab.:)

will not be going back there.

Having not had an actual Kebab there (Having got suggested some meatball in a pitta bread which was quite good) may I post a general reply here. Don't get me wrong as I a probably more critical than most when it comes to spending my cash and time on my food... Some variations of the Kebab (probably not the right way to say that but most people call that kind of food "a Kebab" ) Like in the middle east, the"Swarma" is like a mini Kebab with marinated meat (very nice) but no salad as most expect (well, not over there) just a little of onion and a little bit of greenery (not to sure to be honest, perhaps parsly) sitting around in the fat at the bottom of the meet pile, but totally nice.. my record was 5, with the all time record 9 ... point is, different style... But I understand, sure, most westeners expect the salad.. as for the scales.. lol.. on one side I can imagine your thoughts "geez, just slap a decent amount in there" (lol, I am the same) But watching them I see this : its a new place, new staff, and I see the owners are passionate and want the staff to do it as best as possible. So if this means they have to use scales then fair enough.. When they made mine I had 2-3 staff and the owner issuing orders / training them... so all in all I dont' mind the "quality control" As for the chicken tasteless, it's sad but I will have to try it too.... ok, I sound like a nut right? I just love my Kebabs.....

RicnRoll is in the New Kata road, where the market is, wide road going from north end of Club Med to Patak road

half way up on left side, opposite "the Beach" guesthouse area

Thank u for "where" but I am asking WHAT is the roll?

I believe it's a music cafe, and the roll is a play on ricknroll/rock n roll ... get it.

:D

We tried the Kebab House today,nothing special..tried the doner kebab,no fresh vegetables in it just sauce.Chicken tasteless.(in menu picture has tomato and onion,salad)

The staff also used a Scale to measure the amount of chicken to use in the Kebab.:)

Went there yesterday:

Surprised about the weight check with the plastic scale :blink: ...

Finished after the first bite...chicken was still raw :realangry:

Went there yesterday:

Geez, raw? Thats discusting...

Mariachi Mexican restaurant in Thavorn Hotel

Excellent food, Had steak salad, steak burrito, and chile con queso. Not Thai beef. Entrées between 350-800Baht. Heineken 220Bahtohmy.gif. Open air kitchen and nice presentation.

Mr India in the parade of shops on the right on the way to Chalong pier is my first choice, but a very "English" version of Indian food. Large portions though.

Not at all, I had a chicken Korma at Mr Indias and It tasted nothing like the Kormas you get back in England.. Much Spicier over here, didnt really taste anything like what I know as chicken Korma .I'm not knocking Mr India by the way, he seemed like a nice enough bloke and the servive and popadoms were great, Im just a Pu**y curry eater. But If anyone does know where i can get a nice English style Korma / Tikka / Malaysian then do share.

Not at all, I had a chicken Korma at Mr Indias and It tasted nothing like the Kormas you get back in England.. Much Spicier over here, didnt really taste anything like what I know as chicken Korma .I'm not knocking Mr India by the way, he seemed like a nice enough bloke and the servive and popadoms were great, Im just a Pu**y curry eater. But If anyone does know where i can get a nice English style Korma / Tikka / Malaysian then do share.

I find the Indian food at Sabai Sabai excellent

Taina road in Kata, half way up from Kata center, left side. Restaurant is small and not very nice, but food is great :)

Drove by Da Sandros on my way home from Moo´s bbq Saturday night. It was packed. But I have heard the servings are small. Will give it a try next Sat.

good food but small small servings been there 3 times now, wont be back!

but the worst is when the owner (Thai) attempt to speak like a gangsta heey broooh and all this gangsta shit .. hahahah

I do not know whether to laugh or cry :lol:

Yeah I know what you mean....as a regular there Ive been having them since Daeng started cooking them, I tried suggesting it there but it has fallen on deaf ears....maybe the fact that more people from the UK and Europe eat there than Aussies and Kiwis. Im back in a week...I will personally buy a lamb and give it to Daeng to cook on Sunday the 20th. If it ends up really popular they might try it the next week

Sounds good, I'll be there to eat that lamb, hope it stays on the menu!

Hold the phone...i wont be back this sunday...will give it to Daeng for the following sunday

This will piss a lot of apologists off on TV. If the owner is Thai, I ain´t going to Da Sandros. I was told the owner was Italian. Or is one the slave and the other is the master?

Wrong again..the owners are..mother and son..the mother is 100% thai and she is the cook,...her son,his father was Italian,now dead,he speaks fluent,Thai,Italian and English,he was educated in New Zealand..They are a great team and have worked very hard to build up this very good FAMILLY buisness.they are original Phuket familly...give them a try see for yourself...:lol:

Yeah I know what you mean....as a regular there Ive been having them since Daeng started cooking them, I tried suggesting it there but it has fallen on deaf ears....maybe the fact that more people from the UK and Europe eat there than Aussies and Kiwis. Im back in a week...I will personally buy a lamb and give it to Daeng to cook on Sunday the 20th. If it ends up really popular they might try it the next week

If you do donate the lamb, please donate the mint sauce, too.

One without the other............well, I'm sure you know.

yes will do....I will be back a little bit late so I will donate next sunday the 28th

or red wine sauce :P

or cranbery gel :P

or marinate in white wine, oil, manao and spices, and make sauce of the marinade :P

guess those where my 4 favorite lambroasts :D

He moved ages ago.

Now Mr. Asok is on the opposite side of the road and not far from the Laguna Bars.

Ah, how time flies! :D

I moved from Rawai nearly a year ago and I'd forgotten that he told me he was moving. All of my "Indians" come from Mr. India now.

One thing about the guy - he has some great stories to tell about his restaurants and life in Bangkok. That's probably why I never had a take-away from him - liked to eat there and listen to his stories! :)

Ah, I don't eat Kormas - too mild. In fact, I always ask for extra spicy Madras or Tikka Masala and get from 6 to 12 cooked chillis on the top! As they are take-aways, I usually pick off a few before I heat them up at home just to limit it to "extra spicy" rather than "ring-burner". :shock1:

But what I meant about "English" version of Indian food was that he cooks the dishes that are popular in England, e.g. Chicken Tikka Masala which (some say) was never a meal from India and only exists because an Indian immigrant concocted it.

So, all this talk of curries has got me heading south to Chalong to get some more... :D

Chicken Tikka Masala which (some say) was never a meal from India and only exists because an Indian immigrant concocted it.

It's claimed that Chicken Tikka Masala was invented in Glasgow when an unhappy customer sent his Chicken Tikka back complaining that there was no sauce with it. The cook improvised a source and the rest is history.

The Balti curry was invented in Birmingham.

Went last night to DA SANDROS next to chalong gym same side as FATTYS, Good fresh food at reasonable prices..Italian and Foreign food...try it... well worth a try...O

I walked passed it yesterday and there was a huge 'for sale' sign outside. Good business then ...

Went there yesterday:

Geez, raw? Thats discusting...

It's a small bland undecorated shophouse (not a plant in sight. The 'food' looks like it's just come out of a microwave (mush) AND there's NO wine on the menu! I asked the guy 'why no wine? You drink wine with arab/med food, not bloody beer', he replied 'they were sorting it out'! I told him how was it that practically every resautrant here serves the ubiquitous Mont Clair, even the Thai ones. (I rarely eat at farang places here - overpriced shit I can make far better myself at home). Speaking of overpriced shit, anyone tried BIG FOOD in Chalong just up from police station? Even just the once?

Edited by inmysights