Doing Some Research

I want to do some research for some reports (for example interview some thai people), doing some photos that i want to sell and this kind of stuff.

i dont want to work for a thai newsagencie/newspaper or sth. similar. i do not have any contracts with any thai realted companys, not in thailand and not in europe.

Assuming a very picky situation comes up: can it be a problem to do some photos/interviews within thailand for business related reasons?

i know if i want to be a journalist in thailand (M-Visa) i need a lot of papers.

but i am not employed by anyone anywhere, so i cant provide all these papers needed.

as i think i am not allowed to make photos and sell them if i want to follow the laws by 100%.

on the other hand i know that no one can proof that i do photos for business related reasons.

It seems to me there are 2 ways around this.

1) just go on a tourist visa and don't say anything or....

2) set up a foreign company and then send yourself as an employee of the company and get a visa / work permit that way.

I am not fully aware how its done but a good friend of mine did this some 7 or 8 years back and employed himself as the buyer of his UK business and now gets 2 year visas no problem ,he does have to apply by post to Hull (UK) for the visas but never has any probs.he has offered to show me how to do it . As I am married to a Thai national and have been now for 5 1/2 years I think I will try the spouse visa which will mean I don't have to leave the country every 3 months , just report to the local immigration office. Not sure but I think it is an O A visa and will be checking for the requirements with the consulate in Hull before hand to make sure I have everything in place.

I think the 2nd option is best for you as you could then sell the articles .

You would be selling them via the foreign company .

Just build yourself a letterhead and maybe open a bank account in the name of the company. there may be a couple more requirements but I am sure it would be easy enough.

Edited by mickj88

It seems to me there are 2 ways around this.

1) just go on a tourist visa and don't say anything or....

2) set up a foreign company and then send yourself as an employee of the company and get a visa / work permit that way.

I am not fully aware how its done but a good friend of mine did this some 7 or 8 years back and employed himself as the buyer of his UK business and now gets 2 year visas no problem

I suspect your good friend may be telling you porkies.....there is no such thing as a "two year visa"

If he was fully legal why would he be re-applying to Hull by post no less !!!...which is illegal in itself ,ie sending your P/P through the post

Further on if he was set up as a full representative office in Thailand for a UK company, one would think he would be on an extension of stay and wouldnt need to be applying for visa's from Hull...

All sounds rather iffy to me.

On your point 2., you cant set up a foreign company in thailand and get a visa/WP...it needs to be a Thai company to get a visa/WP

Not a lie. If he set up a copmpany broad to do business in Thailand he could indeed apply for a two year multiple non-b visa. That visa would not allow one to get an extension of stay, as the purpose would be to travel frequantly to Thailand for doing business (and not work).

<BR>Not a lie. If he set up a copmpany broad to do business in Thailand he could indeed apply for a two year multiple non-b visa. That visa would not allow one to get an extension of stay, as the purpose would be to travel frequantly to Thailand for doing business (and not work).<BR>
<BR><BR>Mario, In the example given, the friend appears to be based here/operating out of Thailand, and appears not to be travelling in and out to Thailand for business purposes, this is borne out by the statement that he sends his P/P in the post to Hull and would suspect there would be is no WP either.<BR> <BR>Not disputing the two year visa obtainable for business purposes, but based on what was said, what the person may be doing is not exactly "legal" either IMHO. <BR><BR><BR>

"...re-applying to Hull by post no less !!!...which is illegal in itself ,ie sending your P/P through the post"

It is not illegal to send your passport anywhere by post.

The posts intent is correct, but the wording makes the statement wrong.

If he was sending the passport to Hull while still in Thailand, the visa would be no good if immigration pays attention to the dates.

Hull has said, its been reported, that they won't knowingly issue a visa to anyone who is currently in Thailand.

The OP doesn't really say whether the person sending the passport is here or elsewhere when he sends it.

"...re-applying to Hull by post no less !!!...which is illegal in itself ,ie sending your P/P through the post"

It is not illegal to send your passport anywhere by post.

The posts intent is correct, but the wording makes the statement wrong.

If he was sending the passport to Hull while still in Thailand, the visa would be no good if immigration pays attention to the dates.

Hull has said, its been reported, that they won't knowingly issue a visa to anyone who is currently in Thailand.

The OP doesn't really say whether the person sending the passport is here or elsewhere when he sends it.

You are correct saying its not illegal posting a passport, I get the impression reading the post, the person concerned is sending his passport from Thailand to Hull, so yes I worded it badly.

thanks to everyone answering.

setting up a company in germany and sending me to thailand by myself could be worth a trial. i will be back to germany in april for a few weeks and see how i will do :-)

thanks to everyone answering.

setting up a company in germany and sending me to thailand by myself could be worth a trial. i will be back to germany in april for a few weeks and see how i will do :-)

But what benefit does setting up a company in germany get you ?..if you want to be fully 100% legal you would need to set up a Thai company and get yourself a WP