No Internet Connection Issan

dthomasss

I bought a netbook for my stepdaughter, and was hoping we could get a connection in the village.

Phone signal is not the best in the house but I got an aircard and AIS netsim.

So far can't get a connection anywhere in the house. Can try a DTAC netsim but my phone is DTAC and my signal in the village is even worse.

Are there any other options besides the huge expense of a satellite?

Need to rule out if you bought a dud aircard... not unknown.

How many bars of signal strength are we looking at here?

Do you get a connection outside the house or anywhere the signal is visibly stronger?

What's your GPS coordinates so I can look up a coverage map.

Need to rule out if you bought a dud aircard... not unknown.

How many bars of signal strength are we looking at here?

Do you get a connection outside the house or anywhere the signal is visibly stronger?

What's your GPS coordinates so I can look up a coverage map.

Aircard works fine as we tried it in the city. Upstairs in the house can get 2-3 bars on the phone.

Not sure of GPS coordinates but location is 130 km NW of Khon Kaen, 25 km north of Chum Phae near Nong Dang

My suggestion is to look around and find the nearest Cell tower. Ever who the provider is would be your best bet. Chum Phae is a good size town and you should find every provider. If this does not work then as I said try CAT.

25km North or Northwest of Chumphae is mostly jungle and national parks with very poor coverage in my limited experience during visits to several Wats (even phone contact is limited).

I know. There is a moo ban named Non Dang which has about 200 homes, but she lives in a smaller moo ban (maybe 100 homes) 4 km west.

I hope I will be able to find something, as she is a good student in school and eager to learn. Will call the CAT office in Chumphae tomorrow to see what they might offer.

There are a few possibilities.

Ensure that the screen for the connection shows some signal bars down the bottom left. If not and especially if using Windows 7 reinstall the software from the aircard (the aircard should show up as a USB drive), I have to regularly reinstall the software on my windows 7 laptop. If using a Windows 7 machine do a restart if not already done, as sometimes will hang up if updates partially installed.

Second option is most of the aircards have a really dinky internal aerial, the one I use has a connector for an external aerial which would boost the signal strength to the device. I have never seen anyone advertising an external aerials, but they should be available.

Option three is look at getting a better aircard with an external aerial already installed. Have a look at http://www.thaiaircard.com/ for example. I have seen similar type aircards in Telewiz in Pantip, so should be available elswhere.

Best of luck

When we first moved out 6 six years ago we didn't even have a half decent mobile signal so we bought an ariel in town and put it on the end of a 20 foot mast, you can get leads for all mobile phones to attach and if you can't find a one with the correct plug then theres a "stick on the back" style. Worked great although your stuck with the one location being attached to the mast.