Taxi Drivers And Parking

I pick up my wife every night at Bondi Restaurant in the Green Mango and usually park along the Green Mango Soi adjacent to the restaurant. Last night I did the same and parked my motorcycle along with several others. A motorcycle taxi driver ran over screaming at me to get my motorcycle out of there. I know the pc thing is to wai him and move it, but I didn't and asked him in Thai if he owned the road or Bondi. He just walked away and I left the bike where it was. I understand that taxis park in a certain area, but this was not one of them, so my question is what right does a taxi driver have to tell you where you can park?

My understanding is that following the bombs that went off in Hadyai a while back that the police/land owner/and businesses agreed to make Soi Green Mango vehicle free after a particular time of evening. This was policed for a while but in time it became a little relaxed but I still believe this is the agreement all parties have. Perhaps the taxi driver was just trying to do the polite thing and warn you. Even if other bikes are parked there doesn't necessarily mean you can.

My understanding is that following the bombs that went off in Hadyai a while back that the police/land owner/and businesses agreed to make Soi Green Mango vehicle free after a particular time of evening. This was policed for a while but in time it became a little relaxed but I still believe this is the agreement all parties have. Perhaps the taxi driver was just trying to do the polite thing and warn you. Even if other bikes are parked there doesn't necessarily mean you can.

You will normally get a negative reaction by screaming at someone and waving your arms. A Thai will simply ignore you, but most will take a defensive posture. There are no markings or signs on that side of the street and I have parked there for a year along with others. How would you react if I ran at you screaming that you couldn't park in front of your house or your wife's restaurant? Exactly, I have no authority and neither does a lowlife criminal taxi driver.

Lowlife criminal taxi driver?

Can you explain this comment please? :unsure:

Edit: Sp.

Search "taxi" on TV and you will get thousands of pages of explanations. You'll see that I was paying them a compliment.

:lol: No need for that....just remembered the 800 Baht bike taxi extortion from the last TV get together....Springer Pub to Bangrak.....shame its about all I do remember! :D

A buddy of mine told me that the taxi drivers took his motorcycle from in front of McDonalds and moved it way down the street. He said he complained to the manager who then went out and chased the taxi drivers away because he was losing business. I watched for a few minutes last night as they did the same and it was amusing watching some drunk people searching for their motorcycles and presuming they were stolen. The taxi drivers seemed to be courteous and sometimes helped to find the bikes, but I saw some fists waving and heard some choice words. With the number of people in Chaweng now at night, no police in sight, and taxi drivers taking over command and control, you will soon here about many cases of violence.

Search "taxi" on TV and you will get thousands of pages of explanations. You'll see that I was paying them a compliment.

:lol: No need for that....just remembered the 800 Baht bike taxi extortion from the last TV get together....Springer Pub to Bangrak.....shame its about all I do remember! :D

Are you seriously telling me you paid a bike taxi 800 baht?!!!!! :ermm:

A buddy of mine told me that the taxi drivers took his motorcycle from in front of McDonalds and moved it way down the street. He said he complained to the manager who then went out and chased the taxi drivers away because he was losing business. I watched for a few minutes last night as they did the same and it was amusing watching some drunk people searching for their motorcycles and presuming they were stolen. The taxi drivers seemed to be courteous and sometimes helped to find the bikes, but I saw some fists waving and heard some choice words. With the number of people in Chaweng now at night, no police in sight, and taxi drivers taking over command and control, you will soon here about many cases of violence.

They like mob rule/lynch mob mentality here. Another example of Samui being locked in the middle ages.

I can't remember paying anything....was too busy laughing at the time......:ermm::rolleyes:

They are taking over large sections of the beach road and yelling at anyone who parks near them. They have stabbed both the front and rear tires of three of my friends' motorcycles who parked near McDonalds, so be very careful parking anywhere near these bandits.

Was it a luxury stretched bike taxi?:blink:

Now I think about it.....without the dark shades and stripey vest he would have looked a lot like PS. :o

'Have you seen the cost of petrol these days?'

Etc....etc.....

In general I've found these guys are getting even worse of late...if that were possible. :(

"I know the pc thing is to wai him and move"

U speak Thai, and u think its Thai way to wai a taxi driver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there's any need for a wai, its from the taxi driver to you

I agree with you that a taxi driver should wai a farang. The reason for the post was that the taxi driver was commanding everyone and then threatening those who didn't obey. Everybody just parked and went inside Bondi. I got the manager, but by the time we went out the tires were slashed and one rental bike was smashed against the wall. This guy apparently felt he was above everyone including the law and was not about to wai anybody. Of course when we called the police they never came. Most farangs who are threatened by Thais; e.g, waverunner bandits, will usually wai them to avoid potential death. So, it's not a sign of respect, but just a way to possibly save your life.

Edited by parallaxtech

"I know the pc thing is to wai him and move"

U speak Thai, and u think its Thai way to wai a taxi driver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there's any need for a wai, its from the taxi driver to you

I agree with you that a taxi driver should wai a farang. The reason for the post was that the taxi driver was commanding everyone and then threatening those who didn't obey. Everybody just parked and went inside Bondi. I got the manager, but by the time we went out the tires were slashed and one rental bike was smashed against the wall. This guy apparently felt he was above everyone including the law and was not about to wai anybody. Of course when we called the police they never came. Most farangs who are threatened by Thais; e.g, waverunner bandits, will usually wai them to avoid potential death. So, it's not a sign of respect, but just a way to possibly save your life.

:( "And the meek shall inherit the Earth"