Nun Jailed For Encroachment

george

Nun jailed for encroachment

KANCHANABURI: -- A nun who built an extensive pagoda complex in a forest reserve and declared it a no-harm-to-animals zone was yesterday jailed for encroachment by the provincial court.

The nun, Bongkot Sitthipol, and one of her followers, Pimpan Rattanaprueksanont, were initially each sentenced to five years in prison after being found guilty of encroaching on a 520-rai block of land in Wang Yai and Mae Nam Noi forests in Sai Yok district.

The court reduced the sentence to three years and nine months for Bongkot and three years and four months for Pimpan because they cooperated.

The nun and her followers, construction workers and others were also ordered to vacate the area they had named Daen Maha Mongkol.

The two women were arrested in 1998 by an anti-encroachment task force. The compound, declared an apaiyatan or no-harm-to-animals zone by the nun, housed an 80-metre marble pagoda and 35 other buildings.

The pagoda, with a top decorated with gold, was said to be worth more than one billion baht.

Defence lawyer Somsak Toraksa said he would bail out the two women and appeal against the decision. The verdict upset the nun's supporters, who had tried to keep reporters out of the courtroom.

--Bangkok Post 2005-08-26

KANCHANABURI: -- A nun who built an extensive pagoda complex in a forest reserve and declared it a no-harm-to-animals zone was yesterday jailed for encroachment by the provincial court.

The nun, Bongkot Sitthipol, and one of her followers, Pimpan Rattanaprueksanont, were initially each sentenced to five years in prison after being found guilty of encroaching on a 520-rai block of land in Wang Yai and Mae Nam Noi forests in Sai Yok district.

The court reduced the sentence to three years and nine months for Bongkot and three years and four months for Pimpan because they cooperated.

The nun and her followers, construction workers and others were also ordered to vacate the area they had named Daen Maha Mongkol.

The two women were arrested in 1998 by an anti-encroachment task force. The compound, declared an apaiyatan or no-harm-to-animals zone by the nun, housed an 80-metre marble pagoda and 35 other buildings.

The pagoda, with a top decorated with gold, was said to be worth more than one billion baht.

Defence lawyer Somsak Toraksa said he would bail out the two women and appeal against the decision. The verdict upset the nun's supporters, who had tried to keep reporters out of the courtroom.

oh pardon me very sorry,,,, I thought they were arrested for antiencrotchment,,, something I'm sure there gulty of as well.....................she mmy

Poor woman. They should of just left her alone she was doing good saving animals.

Seems they where "well to do" animals,with a 1million baht gold tipped Pagoda and 35 buildings? :o

Shhh. I like thinking she is an innocent Christian :D

She is a Buddhist nun, why would you think she is a Christian? :D

The article says the one pagoda is worth 1 BILLION baht, not 1 million. With that kind of money she should not have been so cheap as to pilfer land from a protected forest. Surely she could have afforded to purchase and establish a legal wildlife sanctuary that added protected land next to it rather than destroying already protected land.

It sounds to me that she was building a luxurious empire.

There must surely be other ways of saving animals from harm which would be more effective than erecting luxurious buildings....After all, the animals would be perfectly happy without these splendid surroundings. :o

Poor woman. They should of just left her alone she was doing good saving animals.

Seems they where "well to do" animals,with a 1million baht gold tipped Pagoda and 35 buildings? :o

Sorry. Everytime the word "nun" has been used around me it's always been related with Christianity. I won't be as ignorant next time.

Seems they where "well to do" animals,with a 1million baht gold tipped Pagoda and 35 buildings? :D

Sorry. Everytime the word "nun" has been used around me it's always been related with Christianity. I won't be as ignorant next time.

No big, I just got confused. :o

• 2 months later...

KANCHANABURI: --  A nun who built an extensive pagoda complex in a forest reserve and declared it a no-harm-to-animals zone was yesterday jailed for encroachment by the provincial court.

--Bangkok Post 2005-08-26

----------------------------------------

:o sadly reading this news, i'm one who had been there at some free times, for the peace of mind.

Some more information about that nun, you might interested to read, click at link here:

About the Nun @ Kanchanaburi

and here are some pics about that place..

thumb_1106573748.jpg

thumb_1106574678.jpg

thumb_1106574806.jpg

thumb_1106575183.jpg

She's a great woman i admired.

If you have some free time, spend there. I believe every one is alway welcome by the place.

Sa-tu,

mon

Edited by mon_siam

This is a sad story. Also sad is not having the Shinawat family arrested for encroaching on public land out in Sankhampeng and even sadder for them not being jailed for having the person who organized a public protest shot in the head. Sad too that MPs were not imprisoned for encroaching on public lands down around Phuket such as Koh Phi Phi and Nai Harn beach areas. Sad that another MP was not arrested up north for encroachment around Op Luang Gorge. Shame that the owners of Boon Rawd were not imprisoned along with the conniving forestry officials for encroachment on public forest lands up in Chiang Rai province. Sad that the banker from Bangkok was not imprisoned for building his nice little house on public land in our village although he is a nice guy. And house rules prevent me from mentioning some of those involved in the take over of public lands in Mae Rim for the building of the Chiang Mai Four Seasons Resort. I mean this list of sadness could go on for a very, very long time.

Chaiyo!

I wish people would resize pictures before posting, or else just post a link. When the picture is too big it screws up the browser format. And it takes forever to opne the page on Dial up

(appreciated that it was mon_siams first post)

My pictures always come as a link. Don't know why. I always thought it was bad, guess not.