Jerry Brown sworn in as 29th Governor of California

News_Editor

Jerry Brown sworn in as 29th Governor of California

2011-01-04 11:49:51 GMT+7 (ICT)

SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) -- Jerry Brown on Monday was sworn in as the 39th Governor of the State of California, 36 years after being sworn in to become the 34th in 1975.

Brown, 72, whose father, Pat Brown, also served as California governor, recalled his "footsteps," although he will follow "his own" as he had previously been elected as California governor following the Vietnam War from 1975 to 1983.

During his 17-minute speech at Sacramento's Memorial Auditorium, Brown, who is now the U.S.' oldest serving governor, noted voters' worries regarding nationwide financial crisis, including unemployment.

However, the new governor's spending plan is scheduled to be announced next week, which he described has having "painful" cuts.

"The budget I present next week will be painful, but it will be an honest budget," he said in anticipation. "The plan represents my best understanding of our real dilemmas and possibilities. It is a tough budget for tough times."

"Choices have to be made and difficult decisions taken," he later added. "At this stage of my life, I have not come here to embrace delay or denial."

Brown, however, vowed as he did before being elected, to be guided by three principles throughout his term.

"First, speak the truth. No more smoke and mirrors on the budget. No empty promises. Second, no new taxes unless the people vote for them. Third, return—as much as possible—decisions and authority to cities, counties and schools, closer to the people."

Brown is succeeding Republican Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-04

It's been quite a while since I lived in California, but I think Governor Moonbeam might be able to put California on the right track. I lived in Oakland while I was attending Cal-Berkeley and Brown did an excellent job as mayor of Oakland, which rejuvenated his political career. Oakland is a west coast city that, in some ways, has the same urban problems as Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh. All the best of luck to him.

This is a very good thing for California. Met the man several times in professional circles, at sustainable design roundtables, and on a flight. In every case, the man was respectful, courteous, very bright & a straight shooter - not your typical politician. His ideas for California were always ahead of their time, and so, castigated by the power elite/status quo. Now they are of the day's essence: ecological responsibility, social justice, economic policy in contact with reality. Unfortunately, he'll go straight into a headwind with the State bureaucracy & legislature.

I'm sorry but at the age he is he is going to be hardly any use apart from a token face in the seat. It may be ageist but surely there was somebody a little younger who knows of today's concerns, technology and affairs for the state ?

I'm sorry but at the age he is he is going to be hardly any use apart from a token face in the seat. It may be ageist but surely there was somebody a little younger who knows of today's concerns, technology and affairs for the state ?

No maybe about it. It IS ageist!