Congratulation Chiang Mai

gotlost

Breaking News by the Bangkok Post is reporting that Chiang Mai is successfully defending its title as the #1 area for road fatalities over the first 6 days of the 7 day holiday. Alcohol being reported as the number 1 cause. Congratulation to Chiang Mai as the Road Kill Capital of Thailand.:unsure:

I saw one of the fatalities over the holidays as it happened.

I saw someone die on December 29th about 10pm. A young man lost control of his speeding motorcycle and hit a pickup at the intersection before Wararot Bridge going into the city. He flew off his bike and wrapped his body around a light pole. His motionless body lay at the foot of the light pole like a plastic bag that was caught by the pole in a strong breeze. I drove around the incident and continued on with my evening plan as if nothing happened. But something did happen...and it was sad.

Kind of to be expected because Chiang MaI is also the most FUN for New Years.. it's turning into quite an event. Perhaps Loy Krathong is still second, but New Years may actually overtake it. (also because it is an actual official holiday.

As a side effect we get wholesale Darwin-Awards being issued.

This applies to Songkran as well, the #1 party.

Edited by CheGuava

Sobering sight, isn't it Richard. I've seen a couple bad ones that could have been prevented. One involved a family of 5 on a scooter running a red light with the driver talking on a cell phone at the time. He passed me with his family 5 seconds AFTER the light turned red.

A bit insensitive isn't it to state "Congratulation to Chiang Mai as the Road Kill Capital of Thailand".

The unfortunate death of any human being is a sad event and something that deserves respect - not a juvenile and deriding comment like that made by the OP.

I do have one question for him. Would he have made that same inane statement if a member of his family were among the "road kill" as he put it? Be interested in his answer.

A bit insensitive isn't it to state "Congratulation to Chiang Mai as the Road Kill Capital of Thailand".

The unfortunate death of any human being is a sad event and something that deserves respect - not a juvenile and deriding comment like that made by the OP.

I do have one question for him. Would he have made that same inane statement if a member of his family were among the "road kill" as he put it? Be interested in his answer.

Must be wearing trifocals and a hearing aid not to recognize sarcasm.:whistling:

Must be wearing trifocals and a hearing aid not to recognize sarcasm.:whistling:

Sarcasm is something that is supposed to be witty, which your comment was anything but. Suggest you use a little more common sense and consideration before posting any more idiotic remarks.

BTW, you didn't answer my question. Would you still make the comment if a beloved family member of yours was one of the fatalities? Or is it only okay with you when it is someone elses family that suffers a tragic loss? Give me an answer.

MMiller.... what's going on here. Sarcasm explained, like a joke explained, loses all the magic. And from above high on horses, it's harder to see that sarcasm as well. If anything.... he is bemoaning the fact that it's dangerous here.

@ Eek - Gosh ! If only we knew someone in the media, we could check.... but yeah, I've seen the same numbers as you have. I wonder if the tallies include those who die after going to hospital ? Either way, it's not good. On a counterpoint to this and all the hoopla made of Thai driving, even in the US, holidays rack up a good total of accidents and fatalities.

Sarcasm is something that is supposed to be witty, which your comment was anything but. Suggest you use a little more common sense and consideration before posting any more idiotic remarks.

BTW, you didn't answer my question. Would you still make the comment if a beloved family member of yours was one of the fatalities? Or is it only okay with you when it is someone elses family that suffers a tragic loss? Give me an answer.

YES!!!

post-91169-0-24012400-1294139820_thumb.g

Reads like some poster may have over done it with Prune juice....

No one is running around yelling " hey another one is dead Yipee"

Darker humor is still humor, all people don't have to see things the same way.

Learn to relax a little ...... unpucker, it will do the digestion good

It is insensitive, sarcasm or not

Edited by PlanetX

I learned yesterday that one of my tuk tuk drivers was killed (maybe around Dec. 26) when he when straight through an intersection where he was suppose to turn. It was at 3 AM and he was drunk. Fortunately, he did not have a passenger. Young guy, too.

Gotlost writes mostly lighthearted and informative posts. I do not think he meant to offend anyone.

Peace! :wai:

TNX UG. Unfortunately we have posters that thank to highly of themselves and never step out of their comfort zone to see what is really going on around them. Every year it seems that Chiang Mai leads the nation for both the New Years and the Songkran holiday road fatality count. This is NOT a Thai or farang thing. It is a human being thing. So you that do not agree put your animosity towards correcting the problem.

I'm not offended or anything, I'm on Gotlost's side. However 'Congratulations Chiang Mai' implies that somehow Chiang Mai is failing more than other places in terms of road safety.

I think the number is very much a function of the number of people/tourists in Chiang Mai around this time. Compare: Few casualties in Lamphun. Why? Because nobody goes to Lamphun to celebrate. But loads of people go to Chiang Mai, which is already a big province by itself even without all the arrivals from Bangkok.

Gotlost writes mostly lighthearted and informative posts. I do not think he meant to offend anyone.

TNX UG. Unfortunately we have posters that thank to highly of themselves and never step out of their comfort zone to see what is really going on around them. Every year it seems that Chiang Mai leads the nation for both the New Years and the Songkran holiday road fatality count. This is NOT a Thai or farang thing. It is a human being thing. So you that do not agree put your animosity towards correcting the problem.

Gotlost - its not about the issue - its about your total lack of sensitivity in dealing with this

Its devastating to lose someone - I didnt even lose my GF and I have felt sick for a week now

And then to come on this forum and see "Congratulation" - and then to have people call it sarcasm and dark humor

And on top of that, to play it off as "its about making awareness of the issue"

People are very aware of the issue - they see it everyday but no one needs a big congratulations for losing a loved one

The only reason you wrote that post like you did was because you didnt lose anyone

Unfortunately, some of your readers have - and they have every right to voice their hurt over your complete lack of sensitivity

Edited by PlanetX

I saw the aftermath of one as well, January 1st about 4pm on the superhighway access road, between Lotus and the Khuang Sing intersection. A motorcycle on the road, body covered up nearby, and a cop directing traffic. No other vehicles around, so I'm guessing it was a hit and run.

Edited by Puwa

Aw, cummon now, what we need here is a good old punch-up. Everyone enjoys a good old scrap. ;) We can't have any good natured banter.

There are some valid reasons why Chiang Mai has a high death toll. It's a holiday destination city away from other parts of Thailand, and yet a place where you have to drive to get anywhere. It''s hard to get in a motor vehicle accident while sitting on a beach somewhere. Everyone wants to escape Bangkok. And, on top of that, the police are nowhere to be found on the highways... other than at vehicle stops to check passports of Burmese immigrants.

PlanetX, It's good to see at least one other sensible individual who is not siding in and defending the OP for his inappropriate comments.

Unfortunately, there are others making equally sophomoric comments like "Darker humor is still humor", which basically condones this sort of rubbish as being okay. If you can find humor in someone's death and their families who are left to grieve, then perhaps you need to get some counseling because it sounds like you might have a problem as well. Plenty of things in this world you can joke about and make light of - this isn't one of them. And telling me or anyone else to lighten up doesn't make it right. End of story.

PlanetX, It's good to see at least one other sensible individual who is not siding in and defending the OP for his inappropriate comments.

Unfortunately, there are others making equally sophomoric comments like "Darker humor is still humor", which basically condones this sort of rubbish as being okay. If you can find humor in someone's death and their families who are left to grieve, then perhaps you need to get some counseling because it sounds like you might have a problem as well. Plenty of things in this world you can joke about and make light of - this isn't one of them. And telling me or anyone else to lighten up doesn't make it right. End of story.

The comments were of course inappropriate. And it seems that similar posts to yours have been removed

The op does not usually make posts like this but I suppose does not want to lose face particularly with other posters rushing to his aid. Would have been better to have changed the title of the thread

The comments were of course inappropriate. And it seems that similar posts to yours have been removed

The op does not usually make posts like this but I suppose does not want to lose face particularly with other posters rushing to his aid. Would have been better to have changed the title of the thread

Here's another thing do keep in mind:

This country doesn't really do or get statistics. If the number of casualties in Chiang Mai was 18, and the number of casualties in Nakhorn Eenie Teeny Nowhere was 17, then the headline still says "Most fatalities in Chiang Mai" even though it is a much bigger place, with many more nighttime celebrations going on.

Do I know this: Of course not. But with the only information coming out of the usual media sources who have long shown to not get numbers right, I'm not ready gain any conclusions from this 'news item'.

I think that the sarcasm was perhaps appropriate in the sense of a wake up call. We are dealing with an unacceptable and outrageous situation. Road fatalities due to negligence and alcohol are a big problem in Thailand and especially in Chiang Mai. I have lived in different places in Thailand, but Chiang Mai has some of the worst driving I have seen. People here drive like hillbillies and they don't even need to be drunk to drive like drunks. They never use either rear mirror or turn indicator, and they seem to blissfully ignorant of most dangers. The police obviously doesn't care, since their prime concern is fining motorcyclists and drivers to make their quota. This situation is lamentable and it deserves attention. Posters complaining about the OP's supposed tactlessness would do good to come of the political correctness horse or whatever it is that they are riding, and address the problem.

Cheers, CMX

I don't think the OP intentionally wanted to offend anyone.

This is one of those cases where a post's linguistic tone speaks louder than the point that's being made. A triumph of style over content, if you will.

I find the OP's posts usually quite abrasive, but I wouldn't say he's out to make individuals feel bad. It's just that his posts become more of a reflection of himself than the subject matters at hand.

"to come of the political correctness horse or whatever it is that they are riding, "

a silly comment. not political correctness at all.

the points made were that it was an insensitive topic title given we're talking of people's deaths

i would not agree that the op's post is a triumph of style over content. he normally posts very directly i agree, and there are no problems with that. i would not say abrasive though.

I don't think the OP intentionally wanted to offend anyone.

This is one of those cases where a post's linguistic tone speaks louder than the point that's being made. A triumph of style over content, if you will.

I find the OP's posts usually quite abrasive, but I wouldn't say he's out to make individuals feel bad. It's just that his posts become more of a reflection of himself than the subject matters at hand.

You've hit the nail on the head. He's probably always been like it.