Wooden Hiking Stick

Drew Aitch

Hi Folks

I just love walking in them there hills around Chiang Mai, but sadly the ole right Knee ain't what it used to be (accident long ago!) :( Up hill is a doddle, but walking down, and even walking on a flat surface, is uncomfortable at best, and a bit painful at worse. So I'm looking for a nice wooden hiking stick to help support the gammy leg.

I've been to the camping/hiking sections of departments stores and limped up and down Walking street market. No joy in the stores at all, and although i found a couple of sticks in the market, none were able to separate into 2 halves (ideal for transporting in rucksack).

So if anyone reading this knows of anywhere in the area where i might be able to find my middle wicket, then please post away before i end up hopping around the jungles like a giant frog ;)

Cheers

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Just a thought DA, but maybe on one of your treks in the hills you'll spot an branch or piece of tree that you can have made or carved into one. Or even do so yourself if so inclined. Would have some personal value and be quite unique I'd think.

Years ago in farangland I came upon some poles alongside a stream that were cut by a beaver. That were perfect length and diameter for a hiking stick. They were fresh cut and a bit green, but they were stripped of bark and the gnawing toothmarks of the beaver were etched nicely on them. I selected a good one, took it home, and varnished over it several times to preserve it some.

My last trip home, I noticed that stick in my Dad's garage. Was still in perfect shape and it had to be close to 35 years ago when I found it! I told Dad NOT to throw it away, as it had some sentimental value after all the years. But I'm sure it's hit the scrap heap by now... darned Dad! angry.gif

Edited by iSabai

Just a thought DA, but maybe on one of your treks in the hills you'll spot an branch or piece of tree that you can have made or carved into one. Or even do so yourself if so inclined. Would have some personal value and be quite unique I'd think.

Years ago in farangland I came upon some poles alongside a stream that were cut by a beaver. That were perfect length and diameter for a hiking stick. They were fresh cut and a bit green, but they were stripped of bark and the gnawing toothmarks of the beaver were etched nicely on them. I selected a good one, took it home, and varnished over it several times to preserve it some.

My last trip home, I noticed that stick in my Dad's garage. Was still in perfect shape and it had to be close to 35 years ago when I found it! I told Dad NOT to throw it away, as it had some sentimental value after all the years. But I'm sure it's hit the scrap heap by now... darned Dad! angry.gif

Thanks for that iSabai

It's a nice idea, especially as it will likely be a permanent companion when hiking. However, I've been looking for such a stick for ages to no avail, and i don't want to start sawing branches off trees! Lot's of bamboo around that does for a one-off trek, but others I find on the ground are just a bit too knobbly and wobbly. Don't forget too, that it needs to be separable so that i can pack it away easily, which also makes the tailor made option the best way to go (if i can find one!).

Thanks for the suggestion though, it is apprecaited :)

Aitch

i have seen telescopic aluminum hiking canes(with a point) either in sport stores or pharma- equipment.there is a pretty good one across from sundoc/sripat hospital.there is also the burmese army walking stick in two pieces already,heavy also good to fight of dogs etc ,try the kafe at moon muang -they used to have them.or sunday walking market.

What about those sticks marketed by Dennis Brown as 'Burmese Army Trekking Sticks' which seem to be everywhere. They break into two via a brass thingy and fit into a rucksack. I think they are about 400 negotiable as they go to shops on consignment.

Thanks for the comments folks.

I'd never heard of the Burmese army walking/treking stick and managed to find one photo doing a Google Image Search. It seems they make them at the San Kampaeng Umbrella Factory

I did have a link to an image of these sticks, but it gets auto removed every time i try to post. Sorry about that. The image can be found on a site called Teak door dot com which is the only place i found a photo of these Burmese sticks if anyone is interested :(

Anyway, I saw something similar at Walking Street market this past Sunday, but nothing that split into 2 parts. I'll take a look at the kafe at moon muang tomorrow (is this on the main road does anyone know?). If anyone knows of other local places where this trekking stick can be purchased, please post here ;)

The burmese army walking stick in two pieces, heavy, also good to fight off dogs etc ,

Ha, ha lol :) I wasn't going to say anything on the hounds front because of the dog lovers here (me being one of them). But if that mad pack of 7 savage mutts that prey on foreigners around Wat Sri Soda (never have seen them snap at a Thai), dare to go for my ankles just one more time, well...., all i can say, is that they'll regret the day i ever got a trekking stick (that's if they survive the whack! :yohan:)

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Thanks for the comments folks.

I'd never heard of the Burmese army walking/treking stick and managed to find one photo doing a Google Image Search. It seems they make them at the San Kampaeng Umbrella Factory

I did have a link to an image of these sticks, but it gets auto removed every time i try to post. Sorry about that. The image can be found on a site called Teak door dot com which is the only place i found a photo of these Burmese sticks if anyone is interested :(

Anyway, I saw something similar at Walking Street market this past Sunday, but nothing that split into 2 parts. I'll take a look at the kafe at moon muang tomorrow (is this on the main road does anyone know?). If anyone knows of other local places where this trekking stick can be purchased, please post here ;)

The burmese army walking stick in two pieces, heavy, also good to fight off dogs etc ,

Ha, ha lol :) I wasn't going to say anything on the hounds front because of the dog lovers here (me being one of them). But if that mad pack of 7 savage mutts that prey on foreigners around Wat Sri Soda (never have seen them snap at a Thai), dare to go for my ankles just one more time, well...., all i can say, is that they'll regret the day i ever got a trekking stick (that's if they survive the whack! :yohan:)

Aitch

Hi Drew

I have seen the Burmese walking sticks for sale in several shops on the north side of Thai Pai road. Not sure where but I know I have seen them in at least three different shops between Thai Pai gate and the night bazaar. (Changklan) Not sure if they would be sturdy enough for your purpose. As has been said they have a brass thingy in the center with a handle on top. Not sure if the handle unscrews. Good Luck

I bought mine at the Tapae Place Hotel off of Tapae Road about 4 years ago. They had a little stand by the reception desk.

They are made of rattan, and are very light and quite strong. And yes, they break down into 2 pieces. The joint is a rather well fitted brass screw and nut.

No game knee, but I take it on the occasional hike to aid on steep terrain. Also good for mesmerizing the occasionally encountered king cobra in thick brush.

A few (marginal) photos I just snapped of same:

post-23786-0-40652800-1294251845_thumb.j

post-23786-0-75653200-1294251979_thumb.j

post-23786-0-00925700-1294252059_thumb.j

I seem to remember that mine host Kevin at the "Lion" has some Hillpig-Smyths for sale.

Keeps them in a thingy at the side of the bar.

Handy if you over indulge and cant make it back to the B&B... :o

Thanks for that iSabai

It's a nice idea, especially as it will likely be a permanent companion when hiking. However, I've been looking for such a stick for ages to no avail, and i don't want to start sawing branches off trees! Lot's of bamboo around that does for a one-off trek, but others I find on the ground are just a bit too knobbly and wobbly. Don't forget too, that it needs to be separable so that i can pack it away easily, which also makes the tailor made option the best way to go (if i can find one!).

Thanks for the suggestion though, it is apprecaited :)

Aitch

..you'll probably need a Work Permit to cut and fashion it..whittling is probably on the banned list of occupations too!

How about one of the famed Burmese Walking Sticks!

You can get the Burmese Walking Sticks @ Amazing Sandwich/Huey Kaew Road, around 300 ThB.

Thanks siamshot ;) I would never have guessed a sandwich shop would have sold these wooden trekking sticks any more than a hiking outlet would sell you a cheese 'n' pickle sandwich! But you're spot on :) 290 Baht and a short trip later, I now have my dog whacker, I mean, walking cane ;)

Thanks to all who posted here. Just goes to show that the obvious places are not always the right places to find anything.

Aitch

It is hard to beat green bamboo. It's light, strong and cheap. If you need to fancy it up a bit just get a piece of carved wood for a handle. Just find the diameter you want and cut it off at one of the nodules. They make pretty good weapons if that is an issue.

Well, all I wanted was a stick, and I got an education at the same time! :)

Btw, my Burmese Army Trekking Stick is doing a great job even if I do look like a walking-talking tripod, awkwardly scrabbling down the rocky terrains of Chiang Mai.

Okay, we’ll let the topic die now. Such a lame subject can't possibly compete with the likes of the more popular Hamburger & Hotdog threads :whistling:

But I couldn’t let it slip away before posting a few interesting facts about how this particular trekking stick came to be. I doubt very much whether it's of any interest to anyone here, but for the sake of a copy and paste job, someone, somewhere, might just find the extract below of marginal fascination ;)

The Burmese Army Trekking Stick

Originally designed by Sir Jeffrey Hillpig-Smyth for British Special forces stationed at Mandalay in 1941.

Indispensable for safe trekking, particularly when negotiating sharp inclines and fording quick-moving streams!

Today, the trekking stick is issued exclusively to Burmese Army rangers stationed on the north east frontier.

A Brief Sketch of Sir Jeffrey Hillpig-Smyth's Career

1910 Born, London

1918-28 Schoolboy, Harrow. Overweight, few friends, poor student,

non-athletic yet polite. Called "Hillpiggy" by the staff.

1930 Sent down from Oxford for "indecency."

1934 Unsuccessfully stood for Parliament as an

Independent from the small constituency of Looting on the Thames,

finishing fourth in a field of three

1935 Alcoholic

1936 Published at his own expense an angry and

spirited collection of short essays entitled Sticks and Stones

1937 Alcoholic again

1938 Published a second collection of short essays

entitled Mudpuddles and Other Outrages

1939 Joined Military Intelligence & Engineering, the

elite I&E Group

1940 Assigned to British Special Forces, Burma

1941 Recovering from a minor fall, designed the

Military Trekking Stick

1944 Disappearance

1953 Knighted in absentia

For more information:

Find the Hillpig Society

8/1 Arrak Road Soi 7

Chiangmai, Thailand 50000

Aitch

i was adding the bit about the dogs because a friend told me about hiking in nepal were he spent several years. people have like mastiffs chained to their entrances in the day but let them run at night and they can be aggressive . he said that you could not be out there at night without a long club- like a heavy walking stick.....

:whistling:

Well, all I wanted was a stick, and I got an education at the same time! :)

Btw, my Burmese Army Trekking Stick is doing a great job even if I do look like a walking-talking tripod, awkwardly scrabbling down the rocky terrains of Chiang Mai.

I, too, have a gammy knee. I use an aluminum stick for treks. I've looked at the Burmese sticks but they seem too short (36"?) to be useful other than around town. I'd be interested in your thoughts. When you say "scrabbling down the rocky terrains" I wonder where you're hiking. Down from Doi Suthep?

When you say "scrabbling down the rocky terrains" I wonder where you're hiking. Down from Doi Suthep?

Although it's a pretty good trail, There are a few spots on that route that a ski pole would be a good idea for old knees. I've gone up and down more than a few times. It's one of my more favourite places in Chiang Mai. I was just up there a couple days ago.

DoiSuthep_009.sized.jpg

Doi_Suthep_003.sized.jpg

Doi_Suthep_cave_2.sized.jpg

Doi_Suthep_cave1.sized.jpg

Next time up I'm going to bring a little saw and cut a few bamboo poles. My other ones are drying out too much.

I suffered back injury a couple years ago and friend from Nakhon Sawan made walking staff for me. It is bamboo, about 3 1/2 feet long, and is varnished. Rubber tip on 1 end and metal on other. Very helpful when I was injured but even after recovery I often carry it for protection from dogs. On one occasion in forest used it to fend off a snake. Very handy item.