Pheu Thai MPs: Thaksin Approved His Sister Yingluck To Become Party Leader

webfact

There is no possible way to buy an election if there is please say how it's possible.

On the other hand it is/was possible for the Amataya/Military to buy forty Phuea Thai MPs (Bhumjaithai) and install their man Abhisit as P.M..

So it's possible for one rich group to put someone in as PM, but not possible for another rich group to put someone (himself) in as PM?

Duh, do the maths - how many voters would you need to buy and how much would it cost. Do you have any estimate? Also, presumably you would pay in advance so how would you know that the elector had actually voted for you unless you stood behind him/her in the voting booth?

On the other hand the purchase of Newin and his forty friends (all Phuea Thai M.P.s) by the Military and Amataya was possible and if you take into account the millions of votes that those forty M.P.s represented it was the biggest example of vote buying in the country's history and a gross betrayal of the people who had voted for them.

Buy the village headmen and other local influentials,the village populace follows where they bread and butter tells them to go or else.

So if they were forced to vote for Thaksin why are all these villagers protesting that they were cheated and it's not possible for them to elect a government of their choice?

Even if you did buy some Village Headmen you still would not have enough votes anyway so your just dodging the answer.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no possible way to buy an election if there is please say how it's possible.

On the other hand it is/was possible for the Amataya/Military to buy forty Phuea Thai MPs (Bhumjaithai) and install their man Abhisit as P.M..

So it's possible for one rich group to put someone in as PM, but not possible for another rich group to put someone (himself) in as PM?

Duh, do the maths - how many voters would you need to buy and how much would it cost. Do you have any estimate? Also, presumably you would pay in advance so how would you know that the elector had actually voted for you unless you stood behind him/her in the voting booth?

On the other hand the purchase of Newin and his forty friends (all Phuea Thai M.P.s) by the Military and Amataya was possible and if you take into account the millions of votes that those forty M.P.s represented it was the biggest example of vote buying in the country's history and a gross betrayal of the people who had voted for them.

Buy the village headmen and other local influentials,

the village populace follows where they bread and butter tells them to go

or else.

How would they know who they voted for?

Puppets on a string!

More like hand puppets, you know where the hand goes.

And fingers roll the eyes and move the mouths.

Not a position I find attractive..

It's always been about Thaksin, since day one

TRT, PPP, PTP. and Red Shirts as the street wing for turmoil creation.

Nothing but a preasure group, to manipulate the populace; fear or hope.

Either one, or both at once, if they think it brings advantage.

I would think that your confusing Thaksin and the political parties that you have mentioned with the pressure group called the Thai Military who staged a coup against an elected goverment.

At the time of the coup there was no elected government anymore. K. Thaksin had dissolved the house in February 2006 for snap elections in April. The elections were boycotted by lots of parties and the result was declared invalid by on of the courts. K. Thaksin resumed as PM after the elections, stepped down again when these were invalidated and decided to come back anyhow, not endorsed by the highest authority in this country. New elections were planned for October, but the coup of Sepember 2006 forestalled that.

Edited by rubl

Puppets on a string!

I would think that your confusing Thaksin and the political parties that you have mentioned with the pressure group called the Thai Military who staged a coup against an elected goverment.

At the time of the coup there was no elected government anymore. K. Thaksin had dissolved the house in February 2006 for snap elections in April. The elections were boycotted by lots of parties and the result was declared invalid by on of the courts. K. Thaksin resumed as PM after the elections, stepped down again when these were invalidated and decided to come back anyhow, not endorsed by the highest authority in this country. New elections were planned for October, but the coup of Sepember 2006 forestalled that.

An elected government carries on running the country until a new government is elected he was therefore still the Prime Minister endorsed by the highest authority so I don't know what point you are making.

or else.

They wouldn't know, but if this form of vote buying doesn't work, why would the politicians spend all the money doing it? For the fun of it?

Puppets on a string!

yes because he would have won

or else.

They wouldn't know, but if this form of vote buying doesn't work, why would the politicians spend all the money doing it? For the fun of it?

you tell me... you admit they would not know - much of the spending is wasting money

Puppets on a string!

I would think that your confusing Thaksin and the political parties that you have mentioned with the pressure group called the Thai Military who staged a coup against an elected government.

Which staged a coup against a unelected government

that had failed to run a proper election, that it's own party had invalidated,

had over stayed it's mandate, and from which the acting PM had resign weeks before.

A bit different if you insert the facts.

Puppets on a string!

I would think that your confusing Thaksin and the political parties that you have mentioned with the pressure group called the Thai Military who staged a coup against an elected government.

Which staged a coup against a unelected government

that had failed to run a proper election, that it's own party had invalidated,

had over stayed it's mandate, and from which the acting PM had resign weeks before.

A bit different if you insert the facts.

or else.

you tell me... you admit they would not know - much of the spending is wasting money

I already have told you. If it didn't work the practice would have ceased.

quote 'termad' timestamp='1294466268' post='4136625

Buy the village headmen and other local influentials,the village populace follows where they bread and butter tells them to go or else.

So if they were forced to vote for Thaksin why are all these villagers protesting that they were cheated and it's not possible for them to elect a government of their choice?

Even if you did buy some Village Headmen you still would not have enough votes anyway so your just dodging the answer.

'All of them' are not protesting. Just a small noisy fraction.

This was the New Year's Greeting Card sent out by Thaksin (wearing his humble Man of the People rural Issan attire) this year.

35940735.jpg

Somehow, mine must have gotten misplaced at the local post office. :(

He's not from Isaan.

They mean his supporters, and where he gets the vast majority of support from the lazy who're lookin' for handouts. Not that he literally comes from Isaan. We all know he's of chinese descent and came from Chiang Mai.

Edited by gemini81

Puppets on a string!

and if they hadn't, by this point in time Thaksin would've turned this place into the next north korea, and painted images of his dynasty everywhere. With all the bought votes, and the whole system as wacky as it is, can't even give thaksin the credit of being know as some sort of legitimate politician.

not necessarily

Why?

TIT many things are done here for the most obscure reasons - many people throw money lobbying to no great effect - NOW if they could 'see' the votes - and you had evidnce that they could then that would be different

TIT many things are done here for the most obscure reasons - many people throw money lobbying to no great effect - NOW if they could 'see' the votes - and you had evidnce that they could then that would be different

There's nothing obscure about the reasoning for vote buying. Shock horror, it's to buy votes. And if it didn't work, it wouldn't happen.

As to your assertion "many people throw money lobbying to no great effect". You are the one who keeps asking to see the votes and evidence for proof of whether vote buying works or not. So how did you manage to draw your conclusions that it doesn't? Where's your evidence?

Edited by rixalex

This was the New Year's Greeting Card sent out by Thaksin (wearing his humble Man of the People rural Issan attire) this year.

35940735.jpg

He's not from Isaan.

Yes, I realize that, but he always likes to fashion himself as being one with those from Issan, hence his donning their traditional pao kao ma sash around his middle on his cartoon greeting card.

Edited by Buchholz

For those keeping score, we went from the thread title:

Thaksin Unlikely To Back Mingkwan

o the revised sub-title of that thread:

UPDATE: Thaksin agrees to have Mingkwan nominated

To the title of this thread, in which he goes with someone else:

Thaksin Approved His Sister Yingluck To Become Party Leader

all within the span of 11 days. :wacko::blink:

Yep... Pheu Thai Party remains confused and fragmented which is reflected in, just a sampling of, thread titles going back... YEARS

Leadership Uncertainties Threatening To Blow Pheu Thai Party Apart

Yongyuth Returns As Pheu Thai Party Leader Amid Turmoil

Pheu Thai - Confusion, Conspiracy Theory, And Back To Square One

Pheu Thai Party Chief Quits In Mystery Move

Pheu Thai Party Going Forward Or Sliding Back?

I don't see the point of a post composed of selective news headlines or are you saying you believe every headline in the local English language press?

The point being that within the short span of just 11 days, Mingkwan was out, then in, then out again.

The other point being that for over 2 years, the Pheu Thai Party has been in turmoil, confusion, disagreement, and uncertainty. The thread headlines were but a sampling of literally dozens that were found on a search of the forum for the past 2 years.

Edited by Buchholz

35940735.jpg

He's not from Isaan.

Yes, I realize that, but he always likes to fashion himself as being one with those from Issan, hence his donning their traditional pao kao ma sash around his middle on his cartoon greeting card.

the image doesn't resemble him at all these days, bags under the eyes and under turmoil and distress. Not that it's supposed to look him in his fake isaan clothes, but if you held the card up to me I'd say "Who is that supposed to be?" "What that's supposed to be that greedy rat Thaksin?!"

35940735.jpg

He's not from Isaan.

the image doesn't resemble him at all these days, bags under the eyes and under turmoil and distress. Not that it's supposed to look him in his fake isaan clothes, but if you held the card up to me I'd say "Who is that supposed to be?" "What that's supposed to be that greedy rat Thaksin?!"

not necessarily

Why?

They could see. That's why an entire election involving the turning of the voting booths around was invalidated. The marking of ballots was visible to others beside the voter.

They could see. That's why an entire election involving the turning of the voting booths around was invalidated. The marking of ballots was visible to others beside the voter.

That is true, and i was going to point that out, although i still think that it would be hard for anyone to say for certain whether all those voters bribed and coerced voted the way they were supposed to. For me it's the fact that this practice has been going on for years and years that sufficiently proves vote buying gets results. CMF's argument, if you can call it that, that TIT and that Thai politicians simply spend money for no good reason, besides perhaps "obscure" ones, is weak and nonsensical.

35940735.jpg

He's not from Isaan.

Yes, we all know that. But the political base he manipulates is.

So he is clearly acting like he is one of them. Hence this card.

One more deceitful appearance to tweaks the hearts and minds

of a credulous target populace.

Similarly with the way he sometimes aligned himself with royalty, and at other times ignored them, depending on whether or not he had anything to gain.

There's nothing obscure about the reasoning for vote buying. Shock horror, it's to buy votes. And if it didn't work, it wouldn't happen.

As to your assertion "many people throw money lobbying to no great effect". You are the one who keeps asking to see the votes and evidence for proof of whether vote buying works or not. So how did you manage to draw your conclusions that it doesn't? Where's your evidence?

well mr know-it-all i see that you are dodging my post - where is YOUR evidence that it works? anyway forget it because you cannot post without being combatative for some reason

That is true, and i was going to point that out, although i still think that it would be hard for anyone to say for certain whether all those voters bribed and coerced voted the way they were supposed to. For me it's the fact that this practice has been going on for years and years that sufficiently proves vote buying gets results. CMF's argument, if you can call it that, that TIT and that Thai politicians simply spend money for no good reason, besides perhaps "obscure" ones, is weak and nonsensical.

I've heard many times that voters will pretty much never vote for another party /candidate after they have accepted the bribe, because they are simply frightened to do so.

Years ago and old Thai friend told me that voters in Thailand are generally not convinced that it's a secret ballot. They pretty much believe that there are ways that the poo yai, the canvaser etc., can check, and they wouldn't take the risk of their family being named and shamed within the village, even up to fear of severe violence.

well mr know-it-all i see that you are dodging my post - where is YOUR evidence that it works? anyway forget it because you cannot post without being combatative for some reason

I already accepted that there was no way to prove that voters voted in favour of the party that bribed / coerced them. But whilst there is no proof, there is a very strong indicator, and that is the fact that politicians continue to pay massive sums of money with this practice. I don't believe they would do so if it didn't yield results.

So you see, i don't have evidence, i do have reasoning. I have yet to hear yours (and no, "TIT" does not count)

Thaksin hedging his bets. Does anything think this lady should be PM? Because that is what it means, if she is party leader.

No, it doesn't.

It could mean that, but it doesn't necessarily mean that.

Sister Yingluck as Party Leader and Brother Payup as PM would be the ultimate ticket.

Payup, How appropriate. how refreshing it is to see a Country where glove puppetry thrives as it does here.