The Regent Bangtao

bkkphuket

Hi All,

After almost 4 years in BKK, I'm thinking about getting a weekend place in Phuket for a combination of reasons (business, holidays, easy access to Singapore/Hong Kong, etc). I'm based in BKK but do business and visit clients all over Asia, as much as I love the city, spending some time on an island seems a great idea (I currently do that 3-4 times a year).

Over the holidays season I stayed in Bangtao beach, which I find a nice area, and was tempted to buy one of the little studios that are being developed by the Regent. I would have the place as a weekend get away, and also a base in between international trips. I'm guessing the place will be used for ~40 nights a year.

My question is for the locals if they see potential in a medium term investment for the studio. The off the plant price is 4mi thb (up to 10+ for bigger apartments), the location seems to be superb (5-10min walk from Laguna complex, beach, tesco, new shopping mall being developed etc) which strikes me the quesiton that Bangtao, being a bit quieter than Patong, close to the airport, etc, is an area that is still undervalued? A friend of mine bought a similar 1 bedroom apartment at The Regent Kamala back in 2008 and saw a 20% increase in its value to these days prices (not to mention the currency USD vs THB, assuming prices in THB only).

Any input on this investment opportunity? I understand from an investment only perspective, it might not be great, but again, medium term, is the area going to get valued from the new developments coming?

Thank you.