Honda Phantom Engine Noise

dinga

Help - since I know FA about mechanics! I have a Honda Phantom that I bought new 5 years ago, and have done 13K kms on her. Intermittently, the engine produced a god awful knocking noise that was reminiscent of the sound my old VW Beetle used to make. Took it to the Honda dealers and they replaced 2 valve o-rings - so far, so good noise wise. Would appreciate any advice about the reason the o-rings needed to be replaced (is this common), and what are the implications - if any - of this problem on the on-going health of the engine?

Tks!

How long has it been good? If it comes back, it could be a rod knocking. Serious business. Would have to replace the rod and bearings, and if it rattled around and damaged things, possibly the valves, piston, and/or head. If it returns, take it in at once, don't run the motor.

I once had a rod knocking so bad, and at 17 years old, I couldn't have cared less, until the day the rod actually shot out into the oil pan!

My Phantom is about the same age as yours and I have about 30,000 km on the clock and I don't have that sort of noise.

Mine is regularly serviced every 4,000 km with intermediate oil changes at 2,000km by the local Honda guys.

I don't think there is that much to worry about though I haven't touched the inside of engines for years.

Best of luck.

How long has it been good? If it comes back, it could be a rod knocking. Serious business. Would have to replace the rod and bearings, and if it rattled around and damaged things, possibly the valves, piston, and/or head. If it returns, take it in at once, don't run the motor.

I once had a rod knocking so bad, and at 17 years old, I couldn't have cared less, until the day the rod actually shot out into the oil pan!

+1

I just had the same problem recently (twice in 14 month); and I had to change all of that (valves, pistons ... not sure about the names of other parts in english).

Point is oil seems to have to be changed quite regulary (every 2 month for old engine such mine, 8 years); and also it seem carburator settings play some parts of it (both time happened AFTER I modified carburator seetings, namely the small screw that is located on the bottom left of the carburator ...)

Go to honda, be aware some parts are not in stock usually, so it might be a delay (1 week to get the parts to Phuket).

Dinga,

Noise analysing 101. Knocks during acceleration it is ether pre-detonation or crankshaft bearings. Knocks during deceleration or on overrun it is the small-end bearing or piston slap.

As the noise has gone let's assume it was knocking or pre-detonation. I do not see any connection between worn valve seals and pre-detonation, unless it was knocking when you first started it which you didn't tell us, in which case the leaking oil was causing "dieseling". Could it be they did something else like adjust carburettor or maybe your oil was low?

As has been said don't sweat it if the noise has gone it has gone. But don't lug the engine it is after all only 200 cc, let it rev a bit.

Dinga,

Noise analysing 101. Knocks during acceleration it is ether pre-detonation or crankshaft bearings. Knocks during deceleration or on overrun it is the small-end bearing or piston slap.

As the noise has gone let's assume it was knocking or pre-detonation. I do not see any connection between worn valve seals and pre-detonation, unless it was knocking when you first started it which you didn't tell us, in which case the leaking oil was causing "dieseling". Could it be they did something else like adjust carburettor or maybe your oil was low?

As has been said don't sweat it if the noise has gone it has gone. But don't lug the engine it is after all only 200 cc, let it rev a bit.

Great - tks for all the helpful advice. I am indeed wiser (not surprisingly, having come from a low base). Seems I'll keep my fingers crossed, watch the oil level and whistle up you good folks again if the knocking starts again

BRs

Hi I run a bike rental shop in chalong and change the oil monthly - I know it doesnt NEED to be done so often (for those of you who will make depreciating comments) BUT for the sake of 130 THB it looks after the engine... the knocking noises I have had on bikes has normally been the pistons so changed them and the cylinders and it always cleared up.