When Should I Transfer The Money?

Are you getting a one year (O-A) type visa or just a single entry O visa that you will convert to a one year stay for retirement once here in Thailand?

If O-A there is no need to transfer until close to the end of your first year but it is really up to you as you will probably need funds anyhow. Before you depart be sure to arrange for wire transfer service from your home bank as this often requires some paperwork signed at bank. Then you might want to make a test before you really need the full 800k to make sure the system works for you.

If you just get a single entry O you would need to transfer after about 60 days here as you would need to extend prior to day 90.

The year they changed the amount from 200,000 to 400,000 in the bank for a married to a Thai extention,i transferred the second 200,000 a couple of days before but it makes for a very nervous wait.

Is money required for a Type O multiple entry ? didn't read anything that says I need it ?

The person you quote is talking about needing 400k for a yearly extension of stay - not a multi entry O visa.

I forgot to ask one more question if you don't mind.

To transfer the money to BangkokBank account , on the transfer form I need to choose if I want to pay all transfer fees (Belgium and Thai Bank) or split the fee ... (I don't know how to say , but I think you would understand) well , which one should I choose? If I choose to pay all the charges in Belgium , do I still need to pay some transfer fees in BangkokBank too?

I forgot to ask one more question if you don't mind.

To transfer the money to BangkokBank account , on the transfer form I need to choose if I want to pay all transfer fees (Belgium and Thai Bank) or split the fee ... (I don't know how to say , but I think you would understand) well , which one should I choose?  If I choose to pay all the charges in Belgium , do I still need to pay some transfer fees in BangkokBank too?

You would only need to do that if paying a bill so I would check "split" as it will probably be cheaper. But that is just my guess as have never been asked that from my US bank.

To transfer the money to Bangkok Bank account , on the transfer form I need to choose if I want to pay all transfer fees (Belgium and Thai Bank) or split the fee ... (I don't know how to say , but I think you would understand) well , which one should I choose?  If I choose to pay all the charges in Belgium , do I still need to pay some transfer fees in Bangkok Bank too?

If you choose “I want to pay all transfer fees” Bangkok Bank will charge no fee, respectively will deduct no fee before crediting the remittance to your account.

I frequently make electronic banking transfers to Thailand (to Bangkok Bank, Bank of Ayudhya, Thai Farmers Bank) and choose “split fees”. My Swiss bank charges me CHF 6 and the recipient’s Thai bank charges (deducts) THB 300. I don’t not know how much my bank would charge me if I chose “I want to pay all transfer fees”. Best ask your bank what they charge for these two options.

Incidentally, in case you should not know it yet, you probably get a better exchange rate if you order your Belgian bank to send euro, i.e. let Bangkok Bank do the conversion. See Bangkok Bank exchange rate for Bangkok Bank’s daily rates, your own bank's website for its rates.

Edited by maestro