Land Of Smiles? Have I Landed In The Wrong Country?

greytown

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at it from a Thais perspective they really don't have a great deal to smile about right now. The economy is shot to shit, they are at odds with Cambodian and thier foriegn policies, and the country is all but split into two . Alot of uncertainty lay ahead for them to be worried about. So I guess it aint all beer and skittles right now if you are a Thai. :(

Is it?

Because there's an awful lot of brand new everything even up here in the sticks from scooters to trucks to SUV's to brand new Mercs, big ones and lots of 'em! Home Shop/Global/Tesco/Makro stocked to the ceiling and very busy. And the is Roi-Et!!! :blink:

The Thai economy is doing great. But those who are involved with the tourism part of the economy are doing bad. Otherwise, the economy is growing quite nicely.

As for the Cambodians and crazy politics...what's new about this? :o

Well. With regards to the political situation. You would have to go back a few decades to see anything remotely like what occured across the Country in March and April last year. Alledged political prisoners detained with out charge just adds to the uncertainess and division of the population.

This is just my observations from talking to my circle of Thai friends on this very subject.

Secondly the entire world economy is in tatters and Thailands economy is definately not immune. B)

try smiling first

The truth is in general that Thailand has gotten much more sour in recent years. There are lots of factors, many of them political and economic in nature which is obvious if you follow the news.

I think a big reason for them becoming more sour as you say is because they have to deal with the types of farang/indian/african guys who come to Thailand- and lets face it a large protion of them are fairly scummy, angry and unpleasant people , no wonder the thais are less inclined to smile to foreigners...

Well I know it must be doing great when mother-in-law bought new 'Welcome' mats for her house. This old village road, once of shanty shacks now looks like millionaires row, I kid you not!

That might be why there arent as many smiles as before, theyre all up to their neck in debt paying for crap they can barely afford.

Yes.

I think is this is probably spot on. It's all this western QE printy money running into emerging market bonds. This place is being set up for an almighty crunch at some point.

try smiling first

The truth is in general that Thailand has gotten much more sour in recent years. There are lots of factors, many of them political and economic in nature which is obvious if you follow the news.

I think a big reason for them becoming more sour as you say is because they have to deal with the types of farang/indian/african guys who come to Thailand- and lets face it a large protion of them are fairly scummy, angry and unpleasant people , no wonder the thais are less inclined to smile to foreigners...

This too, absolutely correct. I mean many of you on this board have seen the drunken, violent sexual predator dross that, I was going to use the word 'comes' to this country . . . but I won't.

Trouble is it makes life for the rest of us a bit tiresome.

That said they do 'put out' and in my experience this country's moral compass is a little confused.

If you look at it from a Thais perspective they really don't have a great deal to smile about right now. The economy is shot to shit, they are at odds with Cambodian and thier foriegn policies, and the country is all but split into two . Alot of uncertainty lay ahead for them to be worried about. So I guess it aint all beer and skittles right now if you are a Thai. :(

Perhaps, but all that would generally come under mai pen rai when out and wouldn't really affect the expression of a Thai in everyday situations, plus a lot of that would go right over the tops of most Thais' heads anyhow. If there is a downgrade in smiles, I'd put it firmly on them being diluted/polluted by the West... more of us over here for one. In addition, everybody is more switched-on and knowledgeable nowadays through the internet and ability to pick up foreign news with ease.

Also depends where you are, of course; if in the capital in the thick of it, well...

Personally think the most charming Thais are from down south. Was a definite change when hitting CM - city-to-city! In any case, would prefer to be among a group of Thais - in a mall, restaurant, an outing - than general folk from my own neck of the woods (family, friends excepted) who are, for want of a better word, insular and/or one-dimensional.

Is it?

Because there's an awful lot of brand new everything even up here in the sticks from scooters to trucks to SUV's to brand new Mercs, big ones and lots of 'em! Home Shop/Global/Tesco/Makro stocked to the ceiling and very busy. And the is Roi-Et!!! :blink:

The Thai economy is doing great. But those who are involved with the tourism part of the economy are doing bad. Otherwise, the economy is growing quite nicely.

Because they are building as hell doesn't mean the economy is doing great,remember 1997?

They're building again shophouses like lunatics once again.If you look around you see that they are all empty and if they get occupied it will be a laundry or beauty salon like they already have 13 in a dozen.

How the economy can be doing great in this country?

For garments they have been pushed out of the market for many years already by Vietnam and China.

Their rice exports are suffering big time because of the expensive Baht.Vietnam is taking over once again.

Now they even have to import palmoil.Didn't they say once that they would be the palm oil hub?

Take a look at second hand car dealers,which are rising out of the ground like mushrooms,and see how many cars they have that less than 6 months old.

Wait just a little longer until you will see the bubble explode once again.

try smiling first

I agree, anyway it goes along with my feeling that if you avoid the tourist areas, they still are friendly and smiling.

Is it?

thats what gorden Brown kept telling us, now look what poo we are in (UK) what he did not tell was about all the borrowing. in the last 2 years Thailands borrowing has soared, exports are dropping, tourism is dropping and come the election later this year will drop even more. bilion and billions dollars in debt is not an economy doing great.

Is it?

thats what gorden Brown kept telling us, now look what poo we are in (UK) what he did not tell was about all the borrowing. in the last 2 years Thailands borrowing has soared, exports are dropping, tourism is dropping and come the election later this year will drop even more. bilion and billions dollars in debt is not an economy doing great.

I keep hearing how the USD and the Pound are in 'trouble'. Not so. It's in the West's interests to devalue so they can restructure and reduce the value of their debts.

The currencies that are in real trouble are ones like the Baht. GDP dependent on exports and facing a wall of hot money.

:rolleyes:

Life is not a picnic anywhere in Thailand these days...and the poorer you are the rougher your life is. That's why you won't find a lot of smiles at first.

But once you relax, get over your Farang attitudes and pre-conceptions you will start to see the smiles. It takes adjustment to the slower pace, the customs, and the "feel" of being in Thailand. Once you relax, lose your Farang pre-conceptions, and kind of "go with the flow" of being in Thailand....you will start smiling and getting those smiles back.

Believe me it works. Type "A" people with a get-it-done now attitude don't do well in Thailand...unless they learn to relax. I got here in the middle of November. It's been about 2 months now...and I'm just starting to slow down enough to really enjoy the place.

And as somebody mentioned...places like Phuket, Pattaya, and the lower number Sois on Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok are the "Farang Ghetto" areas. Get away from them and things do change.

:rolleyes:

try smiling first

I agree, anyway it goes along with my feeling that if you avoid the tourist areas, they still are friendly and smiling.

I'm a loner, but every now and then even I get lonely. All I need do is walk down a street, look a Thai in the eye and give a smile. It comes back with interest. The falangs on the other hand invariably avoid eye contact, therefore are not even aware that they've been smiled at.

Yesterday I recognised a girl from a massage parlour that I've frequently walked past, it was at a gogo-bar a few hours before opening. I was intrigued and asked her what she was doing there. She does auditing on a freelance basis. I felt a little guilty about not having gone to her for a massage and promised to do so. She said that it was not necessary but she and the other girls would like me to stop by and chat to them whenever I have the time. I was a little surprised. She said the reason was that I always returned their smiles while most of the other falangs look away and walk past with long faces.

In Thailand, more than anywhere else that I've been, you get what you give.

The Thai smile disappeared down the pan some years ago and was replaced by jealousy and greed.

Watch a couple of Thai soaps on Thai TV and see the real Thailand.

The same as Coronation Street and Eastenders is real life in London. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some of the biggest smiles i get are when I have tried and use my limited Thai... in about 30% of those occasions the Thai person i'm speaking with will turn to my gf and ask her 'why is she teaching me thai'...or 'dont teach him thai!'...all the while they are laughing and smiling with me...sometimes a smile doesn't mean a lot really

Another angry farang? Who would have thought it? :whistling:

Rather another stupid anti farang jibe by you more like.

The Op puts his point over without any unpleasantness and its been a good thread until you posted actually.

Absolute nonsense. The economy is going through the roof, in a fantastic state. There is political unrest but that does not mean the country is about to split in two, and as far as Cambodia is concerned, this has been ongoing for years.

Absolute nonsense. The economy is going through the roof, in a fantastic state. There is political unrest but that does not mean the country is about to split in two, and as far as Cambodia is concerned, this has been ongoing for years.

" Nonsense" That would be your opinion.:angry:

Its not an opinion, its fact. To say the economy is "shot to shit" is way off the mark, totally incorrect. You have been misinformed or have'nt done your homework. Either way, wrong.

:jerk:

Its not an opinion, its fact. To say the economy is "shot to shit" is way off the mark, totally incorrect. You have been misinformed or have'nt done your homework. Either way, wrong.

i think someone may have tried to say here:

economy politics whatever, the thais will find a way to party dance smile and have a good time

i will give away a private secret i learned by accident

you want smiles and attention from thais?

buy spicy somtom from a street seller

thais absolutely love it!!!!!

if you want more attention, walk down the street eating it

they will not leave you alone

eat and buy like a thai

especially issan food

if the thais see it

they will make friends with you right away

maybe its just me but it is charming how much sweet attention i get

and of course speak some thai

thais are very proud of their food language culture

and they will love you for it

economy escronomy

politics schmolitics

exports schxmports

who cares if you've got 30 baht and just bought some spicy somtom :lol:

oh and something else

buy a small gift or food for a local thai you know or see at your place of residence or wherever, you want to see a big smile????

Edited by deejah

"They're building again shophouses like lunatics once again.If you look around you see that they are all empty and if they get occupied it will be a laundry or beauty salon like they already have 13 in a dozen."

Ain't that the truth. Across from the Full Love Inn, in Pattaya, there are 2 buildings and the ground floor must have 20(?) shop houses. What type of business can survive there? Aside from a couple of dogs laying in the shade, there is no foot traffic, just people zipping to and from Soi Arunotai (bad spelling, the Soi which heads to Carrefour) on there way somewhere else.

TheWalkingMan

"They're building again shophouses like lunatics once again.If you look around you see that they are all empty and if they get occupied it will be a laundry or beauty salon like they already have 13 in a dozen."

Ain't that the truth. Across from the Full Love Inn, in Pattaya, there are 2 buildings and the ground floor must have 20(?) shop houses. What type of business can survive there? Aside from a couple of dogs laying in the shade, there is no foot traffic, just people zipping to and from Soi Arunotai (bad spelling, the Soi which heads to Carrefour) on there way somewhere else.

TheWalkingMan

The what?

:cheesy::cheesy:

Edited by MJP

That Coma, you are.

That Coma, you are.

And you are what I would refer to as a Serial Pest. :mfr_closed1: