Uk Or Thai Police Clearance Cert.

Hi, I have been asked to provide a police clearance certificate for my new job which will be starting in a few months (previous job didn't require one). I have been living in Thailand for 3 years now and finished work in October, and will be starting a new job hopefully in May (I do not have a current work permit, obviously). I am from the UK.

Do I obtain a certificate from here in Bangkok or should I attempt to obtain one from the UK?

If I need one from the UK, where exactly can I get the form as I have been searching and there isn't any clear information on the subject, here or on the Met Police website?

I have a friend who told me that he obtained one from the UK but it took him 2 months and cost £50 or something like that, but he was living in the UK at the time.

If I just need a cert. from here I take it the process will be much quicker (and cheaper) and I can get the cert. from the Royal Thai Police Headquaters?

Thanks in advance and I do apologise for starting a new thread on such a common topic.

I have just found some information that states that I should apply in Thailand but with copies of residency documents and work permits. I no longer have a work permit as I already stated, and I am here on a Tourist Visa right now. I do not have a residency document either. Is this going to be a problem?

Depends on how much of the stickler the company is..... some companies require police certificates from every country you have lived/worked in if it was more than 6 months, therefore you would need one from Thailand, and if prior to that you were in the UK, need one from the UK.

Some companies will only want from your "home country" ie British

As a start go and ask the company concerned what they want....

In "theroy" you should have to only supply one from Thailand ie covering last 3 years

Not having a current work permit is not a problem with Thai police, just provide them a copy of your previous WP

I have just found some information that states that I should apply in Thailand but with copies of residency documents and work permits. I no longer have a work permit as I already stated, and I am here on a Tourist Visa right now. I do not have a residency document either. Is this going to be a problem?

But you do have a copy of your previous WP ?...use that

Erm, I am not sure if I still have a copy of my previous WP... This could be a problem then

Could very well be a problem with Thailands finest...;)

You have no proof you worked in Thailand legally, so the BiB might have an objection to giving you the certificate, but suppose you could prove it by the stamps in your P/P...ie Non-imm B, re-entry permit, extension of stay etc etc

Edited by Soutpeel

Thank god I just found a copy I made before I handed it in (I knew it was a sensible thing to do at the time!).

What about the residency certificate? Obviously I have not applied for residency here but I assume it is a certificate given out by the British embassy stating your semi-permanent address or something along those lines? Is it necessary?

I remember when applying for the registration of my motorbike they asked for a residency certificate but it wasn't as easy to obtain as they thought, so luckily I got by without one and used the WP, employment contract and copies of house rental agreement instead...

UK Criminal Records Bureau = http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/

If it's UK clearance the OP requires then he needs to apply for a Subject Access Request from the police force in whose area he lived prior to moving to Thailand - see http://www.met.police.uk/information/request_forms.htm. This costs £10 and can take up to 40 days (although I received mine in connection with my O-A visa application 3 years ago within a fortnight).

The Crinimal Records Bureau only issue clearances to those planning to work with children in the UK.

Thank god I just found a copy I made before I handed it in (I knew it was a sensible thing to do at the time!).

What about the residency certificate? Obviously I have not applied for residency here but I assume it is a certificate given out by the British embassy stating your semi-permanent address or something along those lines? Is it necessary?

I remember when applying for the registration of my motorbike they asked for a residency certificate but it wasn't as easy to obtain as they thought, so luckily I got by without one and used the WP, employment contract and copies of house rental agreement instead...

For the purposes of the Thai police report a WP/copy will suffice

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone coming across this, and to update on progress....

I went to the Royal Thai Police HQ today with:

-2 x 2" by 1" photos

-Copy of previous Work Permit

-Copy of passport (every page so they can see all visas)

Unfortunately that wasn't enough.

The guy at the checking counter near the door said that I actually also need a written job offer or signed contract for the job that I need the certificate for, even though that job will not start until May. He was very sure about this and wouldn't budge when asked to reiterate, confident that what I showed him wasn't enough (though his English speaking skills were not very good at all to be honest).

(btw unlike some westerners I have come accross over here I am always polite, cordial and respectful of Thai heirarchy, as I know that can be an issue with some westerners, so I know this wasn't me being fobbed off, so to speak.)

Edited by benavenell

Thanks for keeping the topic updated. Do not believe it is that common a topic so the more details you can provide the better for everyone.

Actually that sounds like a very reasonable request (to have some proof of a reason for the report). Normally a reason must be shown anywhere for such services in my experience. Even the fee paid MFA certification of Embassy document for marriage required detailed explanation of the reason for asking as I recall.

No problem.smile.gif

I believe to obtain the certificate in the U.K (as opposed to a 'Subject Access Request'), an individual cannot apply themselves, the prospective employer must apply on their behalf, so I can also understand why this is, to an extent. I just found it a little odd that this was not mentioned on the (Hull) Thai embassy website.

Once I get the cert. I will update this thread with confirmation of requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, newbie here...

I have spent over one year in Thailand in the last 10 years, and so i am required to obtain a Thai police clearance certificate for the purposes of Australian immigration. (i am a UK citizen applying for permanent residency in Australia)

I am currently in the UK, and have just sent off to Bangkok, Royal Thai Police

3 sets of prints (Cost £40 from Wakefield Police station/training building)

2 photos

'Legalized' copy of passport bio page and Thai entry/exit stamps. (cost £60 from Royal Thai Consulate in Hull)

Now, I have never had a Thai work permit, I have only entered Thailand on tourist stamps and Non immigrant type O visas.

I did not send the boys in brown any evidence i 'lived' there. No work permit, (as i didnt have one)

I have just booked a flight to Bangkok and i will be arriving on Thur 3rd Feb 2011.

I plan to go to the Top Cop Shop myself and try and get them to do it. I will have a letter from the Aussie immigration asking me to provide a Police clearance certificate from any country i have spent more than 12 months in, in the previous 10 years. Anybody got any experience with obtaining a police certificate, but only having tourist and non immgrant O visa stamps in there passport...

I deceided to fly to Bangkok so i could speed the process up. My Aussie residency visa could be delayed by up to 3 months if i dont get that certificate quick mick...

Any help greatly appreciated....

What are my chances of getting a Thai police certificate guys????

Thanks, Jim :whistling:

-2 x 2" by 1" photos

The guy at the checking counter near the door said that I actually also need a written job offer or signed contract for the job that I need the certificate for, even though that job will not start until May. He was very sure about this and wouldn't budge when asked to reiterate, confident that what I showed him wasn't enough (though his English speaking skills were not very good at all to be honest).

(btw unlike some westerners I have come accross over here I am always polite, cordial and respectful of Thai heirarchy, as I know that can be an issue with some westerners, so I know this wasn't me being fobbed off, so to speak.)

Try this link for information on Thai Police Certificates

http://pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eservice.php

An applicant residing in Thailand

• Valid passport and certified photocopy
  • Document(s) certify that the applicant is working, used to work, or residing in Thailand .
  • Thai working permit and certified photocopy (if available)
  • Certified photocopy of current passport with Thai Visa
  • Letter from the Embassy
  • For Education
    - Letter From University offer
    - Transcript
  • For Marriage
    - Marriage Certificate
    - Letter/Personal identification of Spouse
  • For work
    - Hire Contract/Work permit
    - Letter guarantee from the employer company
  • For Residence
    - Residence application
    - Letter from the Embassy
  • An applicant must present and hand in all the relevant documents at our office.
  • Our service is free of charge. An applicant can opt to collect the certificate at our office. Or for your convenience, we also provide postal service at our office. An applicant responsible for the postage fee.

Note: If criminal record is found or all required documents are not submitted, then, certificate may take longer than 7 business days.

--- ------------------ ------------------------- --------------------- ------------------------ ----------------

An applicant residing abroad

• Certified photocopy of valid passport

• Certified photocopy of Thai Visa

• Document(s) stating that the applicant is used to work or reside in Thailand .

• A photocopy of Thai working permit (if available)

• Paper of power of attorney ( If authorised someone )

• Letter explain the purpose of request and which country to use ( only one country )

• Two photographs ( 1 inch or 2 inches )

• Two sets of original fingerprint. Fingerprint must be taken at local police or Thai Consulate or Thai Embassy in your country together with the official seal and signature of the official taking the fingerprint.

• A self addressed envelope enclosed with the postage fee (equivalent to five international postage vouchers which can be purchased at your local post office).

• Since our service is free of charge, an applicant is needed to provide postage fee in order to mail certificate back to the applicant. Otherwise, we would not responsible for lost or undelivered certificate.

Note: If criminal record is found or all required documents are not submitted, then, certificate may take longer than 7 business days.

At the bottom of the above Link you have the options..

''Handbill'' & Personal resume (english)

I believe these to be an application form to fill in (handbill) but i cant open it as it is corrupt....

The other is a list of previous addresses and stuf,f that the boys in brown at the Royal Thai Police need to process your Certificate....

It is not clear at all, probably caused loads of confusion over the years,,,,,This information is not listed on Thai consulate websites just for good measure to confuse the hell out of you....

Hope i cleared some stuff up for you guys...

:whistling:

Hi all, newbie here...

I have spent over one year in Thailand in the last 10 years, and so i am required to obtain a Thai police clearance certificate for the purposes of Australian immigration. (i am a UK citizen applying for permanent residency in Australia)

I am currently in the UK, and have just sent off to Bangkok, Royal Thai Police

3 sets of prints (Cost £40 from Wakefield Police station/training building)

2 photos

'Legalized' copy of passport bio page and Thai entry/exit stamps. (cost £60 from Royal Thai Consulate in Hull)

Now, I have never had a Thai work permit, I have only entered Thailand on tourist stamps and Non immigrant type O visas.

I did not send the boys in brown any evidence i 'lived' there. No work permit, (as i didnt have one)

I have just booked a flight to Bangkok and i will be arriving on Thur 3rd Feb 2011.

I plan to go to the Top Cop Shop myself and try and get them to do it. I will have a letter from the Aussie immigration asking me to provide a Police clearance certificate from any country i have spent more than 12 months in, in the previous 10 years. Anybody got any experience with obtaining a police certificate, but only having tourist and non immgrant O visa stamps in there passport...

I deceided to fly to Bangkok so i could speed the process up. My Aussie residency visa could be delayed by up to 3 months if i dont get that certificate quick mick...

Any help greatly appreciated....

What are my chances of getting a Thai police certificate guys????

Thanks, Jim :whistling:

-2 x 2" by 1" photos