Self Drive Motor Boat Rental Required

1wazza1

Can anyone help me with finding a motor boat for rent that we can self drive suitable for fishing. It doesn't need to have a cabin but must have a canopy for protection from the weather. I've tried looking for companies online but most only advertise charters except for sailing self drives.

If anyone knows of a company or has a boat they are willing to rent we would want it for a minimum of 2 days to maximum of one week after the 15th of January. Please contact me via this post with details.

interesting, as i've seen a motor boat for rent.. however it wouldn't suit your specs.

exactly, I've found plenty of motor boats that i can rent and self drive however they are all cruising size and big $$..... we're looking for something small and easy to launch which we can spend the day fishing from. If i wanted to go out and buy my own motor boat tomorrow who says I can't drive it myself?

Not allowed to self drive a motorboat in Thailand, no rentals available...

Says who??? please provide your source of information as actually there are plenty of available boats i can rent to self drive however they are not to our specification. Mostly are large cruising motor yachts and larger than we require.

interesting, as i've seen a motor boat for rent.. however it wouldn't suit your specs.

exactly, I've found plenty of motor boats that i can rent and self drive however they are all cruising size and big $$..... we're looking for something small and easy to launch which we can spend the day fishing from. If i wanted to go out and buy my own motor boat tomorrow who says I can't drive it myself?

Once you go and get your captains ticket (thai water license) you can.

correct, Thai water lisence needed for any foreigner in Thai registered vessel. Only visitors in own vessel allowed on other countries lisences

You can hire a boat, but you can not operate it without valid lisence or Thai captain

You can hire a boat, but you can not operate it without valid lisence or Thai captain

Actually, I think it is Thai Mate 2nd class ticket. You technically need one to drive a jet-ski.

on jetskis it is ignored by Marine Police and Insurance companies

on anything above 15 feet, it is needed

It's actually called a '2nd Class Helmsman Certificate', and is valid for any vessel up to 30 tonnes, and is obtainable from the Marine 5 Office at the Deep Sea Port. I have one. That said, in nearly 2 years using my boat here, I've never seen any Marine Police whatsoever, let alone been asked to produce my documents.

Also think the prospect of anyone 'renting' a bareboat to you for fishing is virtually zero. You might get someone to do a private hire but providing a pilot themselves.

Edited by pagallim

Thanks for the info all and my apologies to Warpspeed, although your comment was very "to the point", technically it seems yes you are correct. I think it will be easier just to take a charter with a group for a few days.

As far as the license is concerned, can anyone offer clear directions on where to go to get it, how much and how long it takes? If you have a boat license from another country does that make it any faster??

Thank you, being able to legally and being able to find someone who will rent you regardless are 2 completely different things.. You can do all sorts of things in Thailand that are illegal for a fee it's the legal ones that are tricky..

I'm all about being direct, those who really know me appreciate that quality about me, it's meant to get straight to the point whenever possible and sometimes it's taken as being gruff or something, but it is never intended in that context..

Edited by WarpSpeed

tho sounds like the OP would be ok with a boat under 15 feet anyways.. if you do find something, flick me a pm as i'd be quite interested too.

To be frank, you really wouldn't want to be going offshore in anything less than 18' or so, unless you really know the area and what you are doing (unlikely that a visitor would have sufficient local knowledge).

There are a couple of fishing clubs here, that operate on a shared fuel cost basis. You would be better contacting them, and sharing their experience and knowledge of the best fishing grounds.

tho sounds like the OP would be ok with a boat under 15 feet anyways.. if you do find something, flick me a pm as i'd be quite interested too.

To be frank, you really wouldn't want to be going offshore in anything less than 18' or so, unless you really know the area and what you are doing (unlikely that a visitor would have sufficient local knowledge).

There are a couple of fishing clubs here, that operate on a shared fuel cost basis. You would be better contacting them, and sharing their experience and knowledge of the best fishing grounds.

Try www.rawaibeachfishingclub.com they have a 6.2 Meter Alluminium Purpose built Centre Console Makocraft Ocean Hunter c/w Outriggers Live Bait Tank GPS VHF & Fishfinder. They are also the only IGFA Sponsor Club in Thailand and are having a Similans Tournament 3-5th Feb 9 boats entered already with another 6 maybe's. Clubhouse is the Paradise Beach Bar right on Rawai Beach at the Kata end. You should find a member or two there most days usually at Sundowner Time the boat is also moored there.

Good Luck & Tight Lines

Edited by McFarang

I have had a great day on a Motor Cat designed for game fishing that is available for rent per day in Chalong - she does have a captain though... You can get hold of her through a company called Epic Charters or on www.Epic-charters.com as they were very helpful.

She is a great boat with a very knowledgable guide and includes lunch and soft drinks, I went out on her on Christmas Day with my friend and his boys and we all had a great time. caught some baramundi, tuna and another fish that looked like the tuna - 11 in total so we well happy!

Anyway good luck and enjoy!

are having a Similans Tournament 3-5th Feb 9 boats entered already with another 6 maybe's.

A Similans tournament, does that mean trying to empty the waters at a national park?

Exactly the type of comment we would expect from an ill informed Diver Person. The Tournament is being run by an IGFA Club to IGFA Rules all Billfish are tagged and released a first for this part of the world and also the Billfish Foundation are involved and are keeping tabs on the Tournament.

The fishing is conducted in the Deeper Blue Water outwith the National Park as we all know the Park is protected not that that stops the Thai Commercial boats that do the most damage to fish stocks and reefs not only in the Similans but closer to home around the Racha Islands for example.

As IGFA Sport Fishermen we are just as concerned if not more about conservation of our Marine Life as well as the ecological impact.

We actually do no damage to the Ocean and Reefs more than I can say about boatloads of inexperienced bucket & spade brigade divers clambering all over fragile coral.

I hope this answers your question.

are having a Similans Tournament 3-5th Feb 9 boats entered already with another 6 maybe's.

A Similans tournament, does that mean trying to empty the waters at a national park?

Exactly the type of comment we would expect from an ill informed Diver Person. The Tournament is being run by an IGFA Club to IGFA Rules all Billfish are tagged and released a first for this part of the world and also the Billfish Foundation are involved and are keeping tabs on the Tournament.

The fishing is conducted in the Deeper Blue Water outwith the National Park as we all know the Park is protected not that that stops the Thai Commercial boats that do the most damage to fish stocks and reefs not only in the Similans but closer to home around the Racha Islands for example.

As IGFA Sport Fishermen we are just as concerned if not more about conservation of our Marine Life as well as the ecological impact.

We actually do no damage to the Ocean and Reefs more than I can say about boatloads of inexperienced bucket & spade brigade divers clambering all over fragile coral.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks for your answer to my question, a pity it has to go with insults.

I just asked the question because we both know the Similans are a national marine park, which Racha Yai is not hence fishing there is allowed, and I hate it if people are fishing at the national marine park of the Similans, whoever it may be. So I'm glad to hear you're fishing outside of the marine park bounderies and are releasing the fish again, excellent.