Free Range Chicken In Chiangmai ?

cykomiko

Hi all,

Sick of being fed insipid, hormones injected and corporate produced CP chickens, we have been looking for free range chicken for quite a while now, but our cluck cluck quest has proven unsuccesful.

Of course there is the traditional Thai Gai Baan but unless it spent a couple of days hanging in the cellar its toughness makes it improper to sunday roasts.

And it applies to eggs as well: They don't taste eggy! Tried all brands, industrial or organic (80 baht for 6...), market, supermarket and their stupid-posh rubbish. Nothing.

Does anybody have knowledge of an alternative to this cock-a-doodle-doom or shall we simply ban chicken from our diet? I am sure somebody raises a couple grain fed animals in his back garden and sells them for an outrageous price, which I am ready to pay for...

Please help!

An arrogant French ... Rooster!

I don't think many of the wet market chickens are injected with hormones or fed enhanced feed. I wouldn't characterize their taste as superior or hygienic handling to be that great however.

Probably a bigger issue with yard birds are pesticide residues they might be getting from foraging on plants, insects etc that have been contaminated with DDT and similar insecticides. Water would be another vector for PVC's making their way into foods.

I am really pro health and don't mind paying for quality but the contribution of exogenous hormones in commercial meat products is so low compared to phytoestrogens in natural and organic foods and environmental estrogens it really is nonsense.

I am all about organic and healthy food but the alternative health promotors have fear mongered an issue out of hormones in animal foods. Eating a plate of soybeans or block of tofu provides about 30,000 times more estrogens than a chicken breast or 4 oz beef steak.

The use of rBGH in beef usually as skin pellet or oGH in chickens is extremely short lived in animal tissues. It's quickly converted into growth factors or lost.. It's too bad because mild growth hormone in foods could be really healthy but they just don't persist long enough. In animals the use of Growth Hormone increases lean muscle tissue which is healthier than eating a fatty animal.

You might try driving around a finding a small farmer with yard birds and arrange their periodic dispatch and de feathering.

Anyone know of small farms?

Baan Suon Pak store has some frozen chicken and other animal parts she selects based on them being of healthier origin. Taste or texture wise I can't really tell much difference.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

In animals the use of Growth Hormone increases lean muscle tissue which is healthier than eating a fatty animal.

Fat stores toxins that animals are consuming. And fat is actually very healthy contrary to popular science and what doctors would tell you. Eating a diet high in animal and plant fat is essential to human health. Note: this applies to most people, but not all, as there are exceptions to everything.

In animals the use of Growth Hormone increases lean muscle tissue which is healthier than eating a fatty animal.

Fat stores toxins that animals are consuming. And fat is actually very healthy contrary to popular science and what doctors would tell you. Eating a diet high in animal and plant fat is essential to human health. Note: this applies to most people, but not all, as there are exceptions to everything.

yeah it's an excellent point. Toxins are stored in fat. There are different types of fat on animals. There is intramuscular fat and insulation type fats. Different locations of fat tend to store more and less of toxins as well as have differing Omega qualities. I am big believer in healthy fats as long as they are properly handled and prepared. With some foods it's good to avoid fats like the skin of large fish because they are more prone to toxic residues.

Kind of have to pick and choose when to load up on healthy fats. Shooting for 30 to 40% of calories coming from the diet is a good place to start. With a compliment of coconut oil, avocado, flax, fish oil content, nuts, seeds and lean meats then pretty easy to accomplish. Going over about 50% fat in the diet is going to change a persons metabolism if one adheres to TCM or Ayurvedic balancing concepts.

Fat stores toxins that animals are consuming. And fat is actually very healthy contrary to popular science and what doctors would tell you. Eating a diet high in animal and plant fat is essential to human health.

I like that idea, but now I'm curious.

What superior sources do you use for scientific/medical information?

Fat stores toxins that animals are consuming. And fat is actually very healthy contrary to popular science and what doctors would tell you. Eating a diet high in animal and plant fat is essential to human health.

I like that idea, but now I'm curious.

What superior sources do you use for scientific/medical information?

Scientific and medical information is not always the holy grail. I use information from a lot of research that I do online and reading books. There is no single source. You just need to sift through a lot and experiment to find out the truth.

My favourite source right now is Sean Croxton's radio show that is also available via podcasts.

I can attest from personal experience that cutting down carbs and increasing animal fat intake has lowered my cholesterol.

Wow! I can definitely tell the difference between a battery chicken and an animal that has been fed in a more traditional manner: taste of course, but also firmness and color of the flesh, taste and size of giblets, and especially the adoring look in its eyes just before you cut its throat...

Joking apart, my main point, on top of of any healthy concern is to boycott major corporations like CP, and this for a lot of reasons, but my point is not to give a lecture. I will cut short by saying that I am veryconcerned about consumer's freedom of choice.

So thanks a lot for the very interesting scientific insight (although it's true there is not one truth and that only your own experiments will tell you if a diet high in fats will do you any good or not...) but I think I need to rephrase my question...

Where can I buy free range chicken that isn't as tough as old boots?

Cheers,

mic