Cbr 250 Vs Ninja 250

johnboy3739w

In the US, these bikes are virtually the same price - so both manufacturers feel they are similar class machines ??

So if the CBR is 40k cheaper here - its a raving bargain, isn't it ??

either that, or Kawasaki who were first out of the blocks here, have over priced the Ninja..........

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not virtually the same price. The MSRP in the US is identical for the Ninjette 250 and CBr 250 (non ABS version).

A twin like the Ninjette is more expensive to manufacture than a single like the CBr 250.

Also Kawasaki has been free to ask any price for the Ninjette since they've had a monopoly on the 250cc class here in Thailand since 2008.

Now that there is finally some 250cc competition from Honda it will be interesting to see how Kawasaki responds.

In the US Kawasaki has responded by matching the price. Price being equal, the Ninjette is the better bike. Wonder if Kawasaki will do the same and match price here in Thailand? I'd love to get a brand new Ninjette for only ~100K Baht!

Time will tell!

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Before I paid my deposit on a CBR last week I emailed Tidavan at Kawasaki to see if they had plans to lower the Ninja 250R price and she said they have a one-price policy which they are sticking to, no plans to lower the price.

But she also told me they had no plans to release the Versys and that was about 2 months before it was released!

If you had to choose between the 2 now Tony, given that the prices are as they are, where would you money go?? why?

I'd pay a little more for a second hand Ninjette 250R, but that's because I'd be racing it and know I'd have a significant advantage at the track with Team Green's high revving twin over Honda's new CBR 250 thumper.

But for the guys who are just looking for cheap transportation from point A to point B and a bike that can cruise comfortably at highway speeds I think the new Honda will fit the bill nicely.

Then again, for the folks who are price sensitive, the Tiger Boxer 250R can do everything the new CBR 250 can do for a lot less Baht...

And personally, for a general all around bike I prefer the naked look of the Boxer over the fairings of the CBR, but again, that's just my personal preference and I've been teased a bit at the track for my extremely naked ER6n "RR" ;)

Picture-017_resizeSSR.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

well, for me it would depend a bit on where I live... there is NOT one place in town that sells the ninja, and that boils down to strapping the bike on the pickup if somethings goes wrong and drive for one houir to surat- Honda is everywhere...

sure I could take the bike to the local shops to be fixed, but- wait 3 days dont know how much, can not- and famous for oilchange--- MODIFY!!

Said that, I am extremely happy with the CBR, and I have just gotten back from a 5 hour trip... Not sore and feel fine... Rained for the last hour so thankful for the free helmet from honda... Very good...

If speed is super important- ninja

reliable comuter with shops everywhere- CBR

Since when, as bikers, have we been sensible??? but I think the only way to settle this is over some beer with more "SENSIBLE" people :whistling:

any takers........ after we decide then we can look at fixing the rest of the worlds problems, over more beer :jap:

i think in light of the big price difference - you'd be "Kwackers" not to go for the Honda

;0)

But the price difference varies depending on what Honda dealer you talk to right? From reading the CBR 250 thread seems very few people are finding the CBR 250 at the MSRP of 100k Baht....

And if a mere 20-30k baht price difference is so important to you, why aren't you looking at the Tiger Boxer 250RS which costs only ~7x,xxx Baht?

File0195%20%28Large%29.JPG

Everyone's keen to compare the Ninjette and CBr 250 but no one seems to want to compare the new CBr 250 with the Tiger Boxer 250RS. I wonder why... :whistling:

But the price difference varies depending on what Honda dealer you talk to right? From reading the CBR 250 thread seems very few people are finding the CBR 250 at the MSRP of 100k Baht....

And if a mere 20-30k baht price difference is so important to you, why aren't you looking at the Tiger Boxer 250RS which costs only ~7x,xxx Baht?

Everyone's keen to compare the Ninjette and CBr 250 but no one seems to want to compare the new CBr 250 with the Tiger Boxer 250RS. I wonder why... :whistling:

The Boxer is a great bike for the price; however it's performance is more like CBR 150 levels (except for torque which is great if you do a lot of mountain riding). Only five speeds means that max speed I saw was a 134 down Highway 1.

Limited dealer network means that the super-efficient very Western service minded Pariya needs to send service teams to your place.

Apparently limited QA department along with a reliance on outside suppliers results in a fit and finish that is well below the Japanese standards (even though both the Kawi and Honda are manufactured in LOS their construction is much nicer).

Is the warranty even 2 years for the Boxer versus the 3 that Honda offers?

Finally, has ANYONE on this board paid the 120-130xxx THB that your "20-30k baht price difference" for the CBR seems to suggest? And if they did doesn't that mean that the Boxer would be 45-55xxx THB cheaper....

The Boxer is a great bike for the price; however it's performance is more like CBR 150 levels (except for torque which is great if you do a lot of mountain riding). Only five speeds means that max speed I saw was a 134 down Highway 1.

Limited dealer network means that the super-efficient very Western service minded Pariya needs to send service teams to your place.

Apparently limited QA department along with a reliance on outside suppliers results in a fit and finish that is well below the Japanese standards (even though both the Kawi and Honda are manufactured in LOS their construction is much nicer).

Finally, has ANYONE on this board paid the 120-130xxx THB that your "20-30k baht price difference" for the CBR seems to suggest? And if they did doesn't that mean that the Boxer would be 45-55xxx THB cheaper....

Dave , 3 years or 30000km warranty on Tiger Bikes made since 2008 .

while performance & price wise it may be compared with the CBR 150R ...the only naked Bike available new & legal, in the below 650 cc & above 200cc class i know of is the Boxer 250RS....do you know any other??? Those who buy the Boxer 250Rs do not want a sportsbike or a sportish looking thumper .

While the attention to detail may be inconsistent at times but for the materials used i don't believe there are shortcuts being made . So yes , the Boxer is not same as a Japanese Bike , but it is a thai designed thai made quality bike that does the job.

The Boxer is giving quite a few people surprises as it feels& performs quite a bit stronger than the Hp claims and is fit for touring and does pretty well on hills handles great on tight curves...perfect allround machine with great seating position.

what is the pleasure in riding ??? For one it is the need for speed for others it is good torque &handling a good comfy position to do distance . I prefer the handling torque and the good seating position which are brought from the Boxer.

The Boxer being a simple low tech machine about any shop can fix it ( even those mechanics from yamaha, honda, suzuki can) , yes even in the sticks they can.Some of the parts even interchange from Honda Bikes :blink:

I think tony meant the price difference of 20-30k between the cbr 250 & the Boxer 250 which it is ( boxer 250 is 72000 thb , cbr 250 is 100.000 )

happy trails,

mbox

mess 11 - you know what at first glance it looks like it was made my "MV" !!

as far as the Tiger goes, it is going to be hit hard by the strong brabd image of Honda and Kawasaki - and also there would be the depreciation issue.................

Actually Tiger Brand has nothing to loose it was never that up to be high or overpriced...it brings very affordable decent bikes...no more no less.

I think those who own or sold, or bought and sold a Boxer 250 know that the depreciation ain't that much an issue...how much can you loose on something that was low in price already???

mbox

as far as the Tiger goes, it is going to be hit hard by the strong brabd image of Honda and Kawasaki - and also there would be the depreciation issue.................

I stand to be corrected but I believe that in the past Tiger have collaborated with Cagiva, owners of MV Augusta, hence the lookalike tank badge.

Dave , 3 years or 30000km warranty on Tiger Bikes made since 2008 .

while performance & price wise it may be compared with the CBR 150R ...the only naked Bike available new & legal, in the below 650 cc & above 200cc class i know of is the Boxer 250RS....do you know any other??? Those who buy the Boxer 250Rs do not want a sportsbike or a sportish looking thumper .

While the attention to detail may be inconsistent at times but for the materials used i don't believe there are shortcuts being made . So yes , the Boxer is not same as a Japanese Bike , but it is a thai designed thai made quality bike that does the job.

The Boxer is giving quite a few people surprises as it feels& performs quite a bit stronger than the Hp claims and is fit for touring and does pretty well on hills handles great on tight curves...perfect allround machine with great seating position.

what is the pleasure in riding ??? For one it is the need for speed for others it is good torque &handling a good comfy position to do distance . I prefer the handling torque and the good seating position which are brought from the Boxer.

The Boxer being a simple low tech machine about any shop can fix it ( even those mechanics from yamaha, honda, suzuki can) , yes even in the sticks they can.Some of the parts even interchange from Honda Bikes :blink:

I think tony meant the price difference of 20-30k between the cbr 250 & the Boxer 250 which it is ( boxer 250 is 72000 thb , cbr 250 is 100.000 )

happy trails,

mbox

And Dave, if the performance of the Boxer 250RS is more akin to that of a CBR 150, why did you lag so far behind mbox on your Ninjette when you guys did the Umphang ride? :rolleyes:

Where did that thread about go titled something like "It's not the bike, it's the rider"? :whistling:

Seems to me the old CBR 150 is the only bike you've ever really been comfortable on...

But the new CBR 250 has received glowing reviews as a very easy to ride bike well suited to beginners so hopefully you'll be more comfortable on that than you are on the Ninjette.

Ride On!

Tony

I stand to be corrected but I believe that in the past Tiger have collaborated with Cagiva, owners of MV Augusta, hence the lookalike tank badge.

That is correct ....the predecessor of the Boxer Series Bikes is the Cagiva F4 150 ...made for the Asian Market for a short period only. It was a partnership of a Malaysian company which than owned shares (or fully owned ) Cagiva and together with Tiger they made this Bikes. I read that the Boxer is italian desigend , Tiger Motors claims it was 100% their own design.

mbox

the only naked Bike available new & legal, in the below 650 cc & above 200cc class i know of is the Boxer 250RS....do you know any other???

LOL.. Any more riders you want to add to that :) perhaps 'assembled on a thursday, which was also a full moon" :lol:

Tho surely dont the KLX and d-tracker even fit that ??

the only naked Bike available new & legal, in the below 650 cc & above 200cc class i know of is the Boxer 250RS....do you know any other???

LOL.. Any more riders you want to add to that :) perhaps 'assembled on a thursday, which was also a full moon" :lol:

Tho surely dont the KLX and d-tracker even fit that ??

Hmmm i don't think the d-track or the KLX are naked Bikes. Can't imagine doing a 1000km/day on the d-tracker...although i like the bike i don't think it is particular comfy IMO. Sure the seat can be rebuilt and adjusted - still it costs double of the Boxer 250.

mbox

the Tiger is a great looking bike and hasn't got the "lean over" riding position of the Kawa and Honda....

Does anyone know where the dealer who sells them is in Pattaya ? - would love to see one in the flesh.....

I haven't got his address but another member on Tiger Sachs Forum confirmed this google earth placemarker for the Pattaya Seller/Dealer on this page to download: http://www.tigersachsclub.com/Contact.html

mbox

the Tiger is a great looking bike and hasn't got the "lean over" riding position of the Kawa and Honda....

Does anyone know where the dealer who sells them is in Pattaya ? - would love to see one in the flesh.....

Ok i found this older thread and you shall be able to find the location as it is described from posters.

http://www.tigersachsclub.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71

hope that helps,

mbox

I think that it was my riding instructor that told me long time ago something like this...

"Snowflake, when you ride a bike, you will most likely never use it's full potential, but you should always try to improve your riding on a safe track/road as you need to know what your bike can do, and thus feel more confident when something bad will happen- and seeing you ride- it will"...

So I have always thought that getting on a track would be perfect for me, I am not a fast rider in corners (I think so, but I would love to develop my skills more, and learn how far my CBR can really go).

Noone is attacking other people for telling them that they are slow, they are just teasing...

Good old VTR100 on this forum had a go at me when I was riding my CB750 for not cornering well, then I got on my zx12r and he applauded my corneing skills once. Said that, he rode like a bat out of hell and he had two major accidents where he almost got himself killed once.

Ride to your skills, but try to understand how much you can push your bike, that way, you will feel more secure when you are in a group and the riding gets more sporty...

said that...

My riding instructor who used to race bikes also told me this...

If you are in a hurry, take the car- If you want to ride fast for fun, take the bike-

If you have to get somewhere very fast, get a taxi, because you make mistakes when you are stressed out...

I agree that finding a safe road (maybe impossible here in Thailand) or going to the track is an ideal way of increasing all-round skills. I wish that i had some time on the track myself.

Then i would not have bolloxed up my VX800 due to a stupid mistake due to not enough riding time on said bike blink.gif

(eh: being a fairly novice rider)

Edited by thaicbr

I think that it was my riding instructor that told me long time ago something like this...

"Snowflake, when you ride a bike, you will most likely never use it's full potential, but you should always try to improve your riding on a safe track/road as you need to know what your bike can do, and thus feel more confident when something bad will happen- and seeing you ride- it will"...

So I have always thought that getting on a track would be perfect for me, I am not a fast rider in corners (I think so, but I would love to develop my skills more, and learn how far my CBR can really go).

Noone is attacking other people for telling them that they are slow, they are just teasing...

Good old VTR100 on this forum had a go at me when I was riding my CB750 for not cornering well, then I got on my zx12r and he applauded my corneing skills once. Said that, he rode like a bat out of hell and he had two major accidents where he almost got himself killed once.

Ride to your skills, but try to understand how much you can push your bike, that way, you will feel more secure when you are in a group and the riding gets more sporty...

said that...

My riding instructor who used to race bikes also told me this...

If you are in a hurry, take the car- If you want to ride fast for fun, take the bike-

If you have to get somewhere very fast, get a taxi, because you make mistakes when you are stressed out...

Very good advice. I've been riding motorcycles for 20+ years and am still learning how to ride. If I'm in a hurry or tired I usually drive or take a cab. It's vitally important to be 100% when you ride a bike. Happy Trails! T

I agree that finding a safe road (maybe impossible here in Thailand) or going to the track is an ideal way of increasing all-round skills. I wish that i had some time on the track myself.

Then i would not have bolloxed up my VX800 due to a stupid mistake due to not enough riding time on said bike blink.gif

(eh: being a fairly novice rider)

You are lucky to live so close to Thailand Circuit!

No doubt had you had a chance to take your VX there to get used to her and learn how she handles you would not have suffered that crash on our ride to Petchabun.

(It's quite amazing the number of people I know who have crashed their bikes within the first 1000km or less of ownership.)

Ride On!

Tony

Tony's arguments are strange to me, sometimes he compares two things and then takes one of those things, at a different variable, and compares it to something else. I.E., he compared the reported maximum prices of the CBR to the Ninja and then compared the MSRP of the CBR to the Boxer....my riposte was that if he was going to use the ~120K THB price for the CBR than he should have said that the Boxer is ~50K THB cheaper than the CBR.

And Dave, if the performance of the Boxer 250RS is more akin to that of a CBR 150, why did you lag so far behind mbox on your Ninjette when you guys did the Umphang ride? :rolleyes:

Where did that thread about go titled something like "It's not the bike, it's the rider"? :whistling:

Seems to me the old CBR 150 is the only bike you've ever really been comfortable on...

But the new CBR 250 has received glowing reviews as a very easy to ride bike well suited to beginners so hopefully you'll be more comfortable on that than you are on the Ninjette.

Ride On!

Tony

I have not in any post tried to imply that I'm anything more than a beginner. In fact IIRC, on the last ride that we had planned out on the Tiger forum I ranked myself as such and mbox chided me, incorrectly as I pointed out, for it.

Seeing as how the last bike I rode was in 1994 ('95 I was finally able to drive my Camaro--legally) and that was a '77 Motobecane (50cc of moped power baby!) is it surprising that the less than 12 weeks of non-contiguous experience I had on a bike (and ~3 on that particular bike) resulted in me being left behind someone with much more experience on a bike that is more suited to that type of riding?

So was post made without knowledge of events or was it a malicious attempt at a personal attack?

I ve noticed this with Tony several times in previous posts. He is when comparing stuff just bending it the way it fits the best. Definately dont take in all what this forum member is saying and belive it.

The comments on your driving dave_boo and from the outside, or someone just reading over the forum and it definately looks like a malicious attempt at a personal attack. Not nice. Actually disgusting and only could come from a person.. or a rider that thinks very highly of himself. ....

Nasty is the word I ll call it.

Tony's arguments are strange to me, sometimes he compares two things and then takes one of those things, at a different variable, and compares it to something else. I.E., he compared the reported maximum prices of the CBR to the Ninja and then compared the MSRP of the CBR to the Boxer....my riposte was that if he was going to use the ~120K THB price for the CBR than he should have said that the Boxer is ~50K THB cheaper than the CBR.

Ride On!

Tony

I have not in any post tried to imply that I'm anything more than a beginner. In fact IIRC, on the last ride that we had planned out on the Tiger forum I ranked myself as such and mbox chided me, incorrectly as I pointed out, for it.

Seeing as how the last bike I rode was in 1994 ('95 I was finally able to drive my Camaro--legally) and that was a '77 Motobecane (50cc of moped power baby!) is it surprising that the less than 12 weeks of non-contiguous experience I had on a bike (and ~3 on that particular bike) resulted in me being left behind someone with much more experience on a bike that is more suited to that type of riding?

So was post made without knowledge of events or was it a malicious attempt at a personal attack?

I ve noticed this with Tony several times in previous posts. He is when comparing stuff just bending it the way it fits the best. Definately dont take in all what this forum member is saying and belive it.

The comments on your driving dave_boo and from the outside, or someone just reading over the forum and it definately looks like a malicious attempt at a personal attack. Not nice. Actually disgusting and only could come from a person.. or a rider that thinks very highly of himself. ....

Nasty is the word I ll call it.

I have met Tony and ridden with him. "thinks highly of himself" NO i do not think so... Knows his own strengths and skills. Yes Certainly.

Talk's in a matter of fact way (sometimes to matter of fact) YES.. Nasty.. Not intentionally.

And saying this i still scratch my head sometimes and think.... Jeeze Tone. think it through before you post..

BUT I would still go for ride or drink with Tony any time. Coz he is a good bloke.