Cbr 250 Vs Ninja 250

johnboy3739w

i can say that because he said "Ninja 250 wins by a hair in nearly all tests (acceleration, top speed, braking)" which it did.........The Honda won on some other tests.

Jeeze even after all these pages you guys STILL haven't figured out what this test has in black and white.

IF you want a very good all round bike, good comfort etc and the option of ABS then the CBR250 is the one.

IF you want a bike for all round use BUT also a bit more sporty/track oriented then the Ninja is the one.

i PERSONALLY prefer the Honda CBR for what i believe is a better riders position for every day riding (at least for me) and the ability to transport a pillion in comfort/safety.

ps The comments on the suspension of the CBR are a little unsettling as i also noted them.eg slightly harsh. i wonder if the front forks are set up correctly oil weight/ quantity. Or in fact do they break in and get smoother.

Well said ol' chap!

Regarding the comments on the harsh suspension on CBR front, would rider weight have anything to do with that? Eg if it was set up for a 70kg rider and a heavier rider was on it? (not a poke at you Allan!).

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can say that because he said "Ninja 250 wins by a hair in nearly all tests (acceleration, top speed, braking)" which it did.........The Honda won on some other tests.

Jeeze even after all these pages you guys STILL haven't figured out what this test has in black and white.

IF you want a very good all round bike, good comfort etc and the option of ABS then the CBR250 is the one.

IF you want a bike for all round use BUT also a bit more sporty/track oriented then the Ninja is the one.

i PERSONALLY prefer the Honda CBR for what i believe is a better riders position for every day riding (at least for me) and the ability to transport a pillion in comfort/safety.

ps The comments on the suspension of the CBR are a little unsettling as i also noted them.eg slightly harsh. i wonder if the front forks are set up correctly oil weight/ quantity. Or in fact do they break in and get smoother.

Correct. For me they're both little sports bikes so if the Ninja is faster 0-60, faster top-end and handles better on the open road then that's the information I'm after from a review. The Honda may be better for commuting in the city, that's great - but if I wanted a comfortable bike to commute with great kpl figures then I'd buy a Honda wave and save 60,000 baht for petrol. Or maybe if I wanted a bike that also "looked" sporty then I'd get the 150 and save 30,000 baht for petrol.

To give the verdict to the CBR would be like comparing two vans and concluding that while van A is more adept at carrying equipment between two given points, we're going to give the nod to van B because van B is more stable off road and quicker on the race track.

I guess you can take what you want to take from the review, but to me it confirms what I've been saying for ages, the Ninja is the better sports bike and the CBR is the better commuter/starter bike.

• 1 month later...

Nice review and says what I've been trying to say all along- both good bikes, but depends on what you want to use them for.

"If canyon riding is your priority, buy the Ninja. Kawasaki’s twin-cylinder mill puts more power to the pavement, and is rock steady in the faster turns. We expected the power advantage; the handling superiority was a surprise. Both motorcycles have 37mm forks, 17-inch rims and wear the same IRC tires, plus the Honda has more stability-inducing trail in its steering geometry. Still, the Ninja exudes confidence in the corners, and the faster, the better. The Honda performs well, but doesn’t reach the Ninja’s level of higher speed cornering. "

The Honda gets better mileage and "The Honda is easier to ride, fun to ride everywhere and a better town bike."

A well written balanced review that hopefully leaves everyone happy :)

Nice review and says what I've been trying to say all along

Engines revving, clutches slipping, tires not spinning, we launched them three times to confirm our findings. The lowered geared Honda leapt ahead on each run

Well done. :D

Of course, you're only quoting half the sentence...

"The lowered geared Honda leapt ahead on each run, keeping a wheel in front through the first three gears before the Ninja motored past. "

Well Done! KawasakiSmiley2.jpg

The last paragraph sums it up for me

'Trying to draw a conclusion here reminds me of modern-day soccer leagues for the young ’uns—no losers, only winners. Both machines get gold stars for a super mix of economy, utility and fun, but dang if I can pick a favorite. What gives me pause with the Ninja is its wide ratio transmission, its higher rpm powerband and the always revving, always shifting way it wants to be ridden. Tootling around town it’s spinning six or seven grand. The Honda is easier to ride, fun to ride everywhere and a better town bike. Just when I’m convinced it’s my top choice, by a margin no wider than the little nubs on its new tires, I take the Ninja out for a few corners.'

So, once again, it's a very close comparison. Some magazines have given their verdict to the Ninja and some to the CBR so a potential purchaser is going to have a hard decision to make....unless of course you live in Thailand where the CBR is 40,000baht cheaper, a no-brainer if ever there was one :)

Yes, if the prices were the same here, the bike issues would stand out more clearly. As it is....

It's a pretty small price difference... :rolleyes: But if you can't afford the Ninjette I suppose the CB"R" will have to do ;):whistling::lol:

Tony, you didn't answer my question. What bike did you own in Thailand before Kawasaki started selling their cheap, locally produced range of bikes? ;)

"...unless of course you live in Thailand where the CBR is 40,000baht cheaper, a no-brainer if ever there was one :)" ~ skybluestu

I don't think it is objective or fair for me to say that such a sum is only a little money as mentioned above - or a lot, for that matter. Such a judgment can only relate to me and has nothing to do with others. Frankly, at different times in my life it has meant different things. Just at present, I notice that sum and would use it in a decision to buy or not.

Moreover, those who think nothing of such a sum would probably be shopping in another market - except newbie looking for training wheels or one who rarely takes trips out of town.

Edited by CMX

I think it's interesting that if one wants to spend 150k on a nice new 250 here, buying and modding the CBR for that price will give you the bike with the best HP to weight ratio (if buying a nice exhaust system etc. with the extra baht), of course as the stock version has more torque than ol' greeny anyway it would then have a far superior torque to weight ratio.

Not to mention your ABS. If you went for that model.

I think buying a new ninjette and spending money on decent mods just doesn't make sense as the same money can buy a pretty new-ish 650.

Yes, if the prices were the same here, the bike issues would stand out more clearly. As it is....

It's a pretty small price difference... :rolleyes: But if you can't afford the Ninjette I suppose the CB"R" will have to do ;):whistling::lol:

Tony, you didn't answer my question. What bike did you own in Thailand before Kawasaki started selling their cheap, locally produced range of bikes? ;)

I moved to Thailand in 2007 leaving my beloved Honda CBR 600 F2 in Japan.

I looked at a lot of overpriced imported bikes and almost pulled the trigger on a second hand VFR800 for ~5xxK baht, but coming from the US I just couldn't swallow the prices they were asking here in Thailand AND I'd never ridden anything other than rented scooters and dirtbikes in Thailand so had no clue about road riding in this county. So when I learned that Kawasaki was going to sell the Ninja 250R for a mere ~130k Baht (2008 promotion price) I was jumped on it. Smallest bike I've ever owned but excellent fun.

I figured what the heck- it's so cheap, I'd just buy one, check out the Thai riding scene and if I liked it I could always upgrade to a real bike later and if I didn't like it I could sell it without too much of a loss.

The rest is history :)

1025Ninja250RSm.jpg

Yep - no doubt the CBR is the better budget option in Thailand.

If you want superior handling for the track, more power for the twisties, higher topend and better stability for touring, good looks and fantastic after sales service by fully trained mechanics then you're gonna have to spend a few more Baht.

Good to have the option depending on your preference.

Yep if not for the vibration, fuel consumption and higher price I think they'd be able to compete in local market.giggle.gif Even so Kawasaki BKK told me there is a minimum two month waiting list for the little Kawasaki as they don't keep any stock (all done by special order). That's impressive...passifier.gif

Yep - no doubt the CBR is the better budget option in Thailand.

If you want superior handling for the track, more power for the twisties, higher topend and better stability for touring, good looks and fantastic after sales service by fully trained mechanics then you're gonna have to spend a few more Baht.

Good to have the option depending on your preference.

Edited by fullcave

Yep if not for the vibration, fuel consumption and higher price I think they'd be able to compete in local market.giggle.gif Even so Kawasaki BKK told me there is a minimum two month waiting list for the little Kawasaki as they don't keep any stock (all done by special order). That's impressive...passifier.gif

They have been pwned quite badly by the cbr.

posted by fullcave: "Even so Kawasaki BKK told me there is a minimum two month waiting list for the little Kawasaki as they don't keep any stock (all done by special order). That's impressive..."passifier.gif

That's a load of crap, there was 8 brand new Ninja 250's at Kawasaki Pattaya 2 weeks ago, all for sale. The CBR250 has greatly effected Kawasaki's 250 Ninja sales, and I wouldn't doubt if the price comes down soon on the Ninja. But fullcave is right on one thing, "that's impressive", for the little CBR!

Edited by thaidiver

As i have said before they are 2 very different bikes. But i prefer the Honda Cbr250 for a number of reasons.

1) i carry a passenger and the Cbr is far superior. 2) i prefer the looks 3) i prefer the lower price (and yes i'm cheap with my money, cos i havent got a lotrolleyes.gif) 4) I think with a bit of work the Cbr will compete with a standard Ninja (pipe and powercommander) and will have better every day Thai road rideability. I'm NOT interested in the race track (Bira does not like mecool.gif) . because of the torque it MAY even compete with a modified one up to 150kmh.

5) i prefer the riding position.

So when November comes around i will get one. (unless something else comes out which ticks the boxes)

PS; I do wish people would stop saying that the purchase of the CBR is only because the purchaser can not afford a Ninja. For many that's just crap. And even if it wasn't who gives a fuc_k.

From what I see on the streets the Honda name + cheaper pricetag + beginner friendliness combine for one blockbuster hit. I see more CBRs on the streets every day. I see at least 1 a day in CM; I see a Ninja 250 maybe once a week.

I am pretty sure Kawasaki will not just lie down and let the CBR250 win though; they must be working on an all new Ninja 250 right this very moment. Whatever they do, cut prices or add features / power, the result will be more competitive than they are today.

HI all,so what is price for CBR and Ninja?i see today CBR 250 for 115k THB non ABS. i think it is very high price cause 6 month ago i see for 99k thb in pattaya

Price for Kawasaki Ninjette is 147,500 Baht at any Kawasaki Big Bike dealer.

ninja250R_pict.jpg

ninjs250R_hilight.jpg

Price for the Honda CB"r" varies from one dealer to the next. :rolleyes:

Funny to hear the excuses these porker fans are coming up with.

Now it's that it would be better as a track bike.

Of course in this situation you will certainly want to get rid of that choked up 'exhaust' system. Add 15,000b. Probably not going to like those stock IRCs after too long on the track - add what, say 10k. You're now up to almost 175k for a little 250. More expensive than a nearly new Er-6n...

Surely anyone buying a bike for the track would go Tony's route and buy a cheap, used Er-6n. Rather than an overweight, overpriced, under torqued porky, no?

Edited by hehehoho

Funny to hear the excuses these porker fans are coming up with.

Now it's that it would be better as a track bike.

Of course in this situation you will certainly want to get rid of that choked up 'exhaust' system. Add 15,000b. Probably not going to like those stock IRCs after too long on the track - add what, say 10k. You're now up to almost 175k for a little 250. More expensive than a nearly new Er-6n...

Surely anyone buying a bike for the track would go Tony's route and buy a cheap, used Er-6n. Rather than an overweight, overpriced, under torqued porky, no?

Unless you want to race in a 250 series... :rolleyes:

So the porky250 is now only worth it if you're in a race series. :lol:

The way the excuses are diminishing is almost as funny as the pregnant lady's aesthetics and torque numbers. :D

You don't read so good :crazy:

I guess you missed my other post?

a 250 is really small for touring or riding two up. For anything other than track I'd choose a bigger bike. If I had to ride in the city I'd get a scooter or a motard.
:rolleyes:

I guess you missed my other post?

a 250 is really small for touring or riding two up. For anything other than track I'd choose a bigger bike. If I had to ride in the city I'd get a scooter or a motard.
:rolleyes:

And the point of this when comparing the CBR250R and porkyposer is?... :huh:

Also for the track, you did choose a bigger bike. So the porky250 isn't even the best option for this aspect of the current market.

Price, 150k, the modded CBR250R beats porky in everything bar perhaps those in a race series. Who will then need to spend 25-30k to unchoke it and gets some proper race rubber. For those trackies looking for a track bike, like you were, the ER6n beats that.

Poor porky is virtually runner up all around.

Edited by hehehoho