Beach Chair Rental

toenail

I decided to relax (???) at the beach yesterday and went to north Pattaya, across from the Holiday Inn. The first chair vendor told me exactly where to sit, I wanted to sit in partial shade and he told me, no I sit in the sun. The rental would be 50 baht... I had rented from him before and it was s30 baht a month before. I walked on to the next section and found a chair and the lady said, "50 baht". I said it should be 30 baht and she said, "NO-YOU ALOOOOOONE, you take up two chairs." I moved the one chair away from the other showing her that I wanted just one chair, but she refused to allow this arrangement. So, I walked away also. The beach chairs all along there is packed like sardines with wall to wall people. I decided it would not be relaxing. So what is the price of these beach chairs now? Have they gone up in price?

and would I be allowed to bring my own lounge reclining beach chair and park it on the shore line or do these vendors own all the beach area?

To my knowledge its still B 30 a person, but maybe their is a "singles" supplement because they can't rent out the paired chair next to you. Many services have sur-charges for singles, especially during peak periods like New Years week.

As to bringing your own chair, there are a few open spots along the beach kept that way for those who want to sun on the sand. The area at the foot of Central Road springs to mind. However you might still get some evil eyes from the chair vendors who would want to discourage such practices.

Is this for real, are you for real?

You ruined your whole day by refusing to pay an extra 20 Baht and then got worked up about it.

You ask what the price is for the chairs.

The price is whatever the legal owner of the chairs decides it is and not a penny less.

If all of the deck chair vendors are quoting the same price then that is the real price and not the price that you paid during your holiday in 1998.

Later in your post you ask about using your own chair in a zone which the deck chair vendors pay rent for and is (allegedly) run by the Thai Mafia.

I'm sure they won't mind at all.

Seriously, if you have to worry so much about spending an extra 20 Baht then Pattaya is not the right place for you.

Even a backpacker fresh from Khao San Road would not be as tight as you are being.

If you really need to save money bring your own drinks and sit on the public benches on beach road.

Granted you will look like a tight farang (and a <deleted>) but at least you will save a whole 50 Baht plus the odd baht here and there on the meager profit that these vendors make on the drinks.

its 30 baht per day per chair regardless of location or special dates or numbers in the party or whether you are Farang or Thai

there are no singles supplements

the price is set by local government not the vendors

incidents of overcharging can be reported to City hall

you can sit in your own chair, in the public areas between the areas rented by the vendors, if you wish

there are a number of these free areas along the beach

its rare you will be harassed by the vendors, they know the rules really well

as an aside it is 100 baht a day to rent a chair in Phuket

its reported that in Spain its 5 euros a day

so 30 baht is exceptionally cheap i think

You ruined your whole day by refusing to pay an extra 20 Baht and then got worked up about it.

The price is whatever the legal owner of the chairs decides it is and not a penny less.

If all of the deck chair vendors are quoting the same price then that is the real price and not the price that you paid during your holiday in 1998.

Later in your post you ask about using your own chair in a zone which the deck chair vendors pay rent for and is (allegedly) run by the Thai Mafia.

Seriously, if you have to worry so much about spending an extra 20 Baht then Pattaya is not the right place for you.

Even a backpacker fresh from Khao San Road would not be as tight as you are being.

If you really need to save money bring your own drinks and sit on the public benches on beach road.

Granted you will look like a tight farang (and a <deleted>) but at least you will save a whole 50 Baht plus the odd baht here and there on the meager profit that these vendors make on the drinks.

888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

duh... It isn't the 20 baht "surcharge" that is the problem, it is the principal of the whole thing. Why charge more just because I am single...there are other singles needing a chair also, not everyone comes "cloned" with a partner going to the beach. It is interesting these two vendors were more than happy that I rented a chair from both of their sections back from September through November at 30 baht during the low season. I imagine when March arrives, they will be begging me to sit in their section again and buying their beer as I had before. Sounds like "Tony Tiger" never bargains when he shops in a local market in Thailand ---pays the first price and doesn't say a word when he thinks he is being taken advantage of. Living here and knowing what is a fair price is different than being an tourist who can be easy prey.

I am not a tourist, I have lived in Thailand for the last 13 years.

This is not a case of bargaining a good price nor about principles.

For god's sake it's about being too tight to part with 20 Baht to relax on the beach for the entire day.

I do bargain for prices if I know that I am being ripped off but I will not ruin my leasure time by whinging about USD 0.64 (41 pence).

As i mention above I live in Thailand but I am real glad that I do not live in an area where the Thais think that we are just cheap Charlies (and rightfully so in some cases).

Anyway, enjoy your baloon chasing.

which side of the bed did you fall of this morning :jap:

To my knowledge its still B 30 a person, but maybe their is a "singles" supplement because they can't rent out the paired chair next to you. Many services have sur-charges for singles, especially during peak periods like New Years week.

As to bringing your own chair, there are a few open spots along the beach kept that way for those who want to sun on the sand. The area at the foot of Central Road springs to mind. However you might still get some evil eyes from the chair vendors who would want to discourage such practices.

take a large knife and wave it at them---------------look as angry and demented as possible and drink some lo-cal

you will be mistaken for a jet ski operator and the police will ignore you

is it 30 baht all along beach road and does that include shade?

jomtien?

how about kho larn?

100 baht or whatever you can negotiate?

signed

beach bum

What does it cost down by Mike's Mall and near the jet ski action? Might be worth the extra baht to get a ring side seat. Seems like according to the jet ski scam threads, one would have a guaranteed chance of witnessing an altercation, knuckle fight, stabbing, or some other type of assult. Almost like "Pay per View".

jomtien?

how about kho larn?

signed

beach bum

What does it cost down by Mike's Mall and near the jet ski action? Might be worth the extra baht to get a ring side seat. Seems like according to the jet ski scam threads, one would have a guaranteed chance of witnessing an altercation, knuckle fight, stabbing, or some other type of assult. Almost like "Pay per View".

I won't sit in those chairs for free. I resent what the vendors have done to the beach. Looks like a slum.

I went to the beach in front of Mikes (sat on the wall) to watch the jet ski scam. Another guy showed up, sat on the wall and asked,"are you here for the show?" I busted out laughing.

The Thais are aware we are watching too. I had my camera with me one time and one of the punks was sent over to sit next to me.

jomtien?

how about kho larn?

signed

beach bum

I won't sit in those chairs for free. I resent what the vendors have done to the beach. Looks like a slum.

I went to the beach in front of Mikes (sat on the wall) to watch the jet ski scam. Another guy showed up, sat on the wall and asked,"are you here for the show?" I busted out laughing.

The Thais are aware we are watching too. I had my camera with me one time and one of the punks was sent over to sit next to me.

these scams are notorious here

heard about them for years

but are they really that frequent???

that you can just sit and catch a show so easily?

or are you guys putting us on?

jomtien?

how about kho larn?

signed

beach bum

They are so frequent that I was thinking about setting up an office there and selling tickets for ring side seats :)

jomtien?

how about kho larn?

signed

beach bum

It really is frequently and brazenly done. Read the Jet Ski Scam posts, search the internet, check out the Irish Government Website that is now posting warnings, some other Pattaya news types of websites etc. Search that video website Youxxx.com. It is somewhat amazing how prominent and on-going it is. Times are tough, business is down so the squeeze may be on from many directions by many factions.

If the irish government are warning their own then you would think that the thai authorities would look at it a bit closer.

The local Pattaya "government" had some meetings on the topic. See the mayor. Here is the link to the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs. I was pretty impressed that Ireland took it seriously enough to put a specific warning up about it. I wonder if other countries would also.

In case the link I pasted does not work, you can go to the website, go to Travel Advice by Country, Thailand and find it. Here is an excerpt:

Recently significant numbers of tourists have been threatened with violence and robbed while trying to rent jet ski equipment in Pattaya and Phuket. Please seek local advice on the reputation of any rental firm before approaching it.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=8493

Over the years I have rented a chair several times up and down beach road when I was alone. I never realized or thought that the price was supposed to be "30 baht" for one chair and that I was getting charged more for the reasons explained by the original Poster. I never thought much of it, and the 50 or 60 baht I was charged for a few hours or half the day didn't seem like an excessive price. But I do understand the original poster's thoughts. The pricing is not really very rational and the idea behind it is a bit off. But for the two times a year on average I do it, well, c'est la vie.

When they seem to treat their portion of beach like a restaurant asking what you want to drink or eat as soon as you sit down, scrunched up with no legroom to a grubby table, I think it's a bit of a liberty that they charge anything at all! Now if they had loungers instead of deckchairs................

When they seem to treat their portion of beach like a restaurant asking what you want to drink or eat as soon as you sit down, scrunched up with no legroom to a grubby table, I think it's a bit of a liberty that they charge anything at all! Now if they had loungers instead of deckchairs................

I agree with you there. Some true loungers would be nice, instead of those pretty cheap and not really comfortable for sleeping things they have. That to me would be what a good resort place should have. I have never noticed any true loungers down there. Does anybody know or has anybody seen any?

It never fails to amaze me how some people seem to devote their lives to fuming and fussing over the most trivial issues. Why anyone would want to sit on the beach in that particular area during the "high season," is another matter, but if that's your vision of an exotic holiday why not splurge? You can probably make up the difference later by dining out at Family Mart instead of KFC.

Have to agree you may not want to get too "I know my rights" about prices and allocation of space on the beach.

Edited by Suradit

I have two objections to the beach chairs:

1) the entire beach is full of them leaving barely room for walking, even though most of the chairs are empty most of the time

2) and, above all, that the price is for the day and not for the hour. There is no way I would spend more than an hour sitting in one place on a beach and I'm blowed if I'm going to spend 30B for those 60 minutes. 5B/hour is all I would be prepared to pay just for the privilege of sitting and I dont expect to pay even that if I'm buying something to eat/drink from them.

20 years ago I used to have a cup of coffee and a sit in a deck chair on Dongtan Beach for exactly the cost of the coffee. There was never any question of paying any sort of extra fee for the chair, and quite right too. You dont pay an extra fee for a barstool or a restaurant chair as long as you are ordering something from the place, do you? Even a restaurant chair with a sea view is free.

Now I just sit on the public seats for free and look at the empty beach chairs.