Close-Ish Call.

appropriate

I am not a speedy driver (not on on a bike not in the car) but I think driving slow is indeed more dangerous as driving with the flow. And I think it is good to have some power so in nasty situations you can just get the hell out of it. I know that power has saved my life more as once, even in a car (hahaha of course after I did something stupid like passing a slow truck in the mountains). But the best proof of power saving my life was when I was on the bike and saw a accident happening in front of me and one of the cars did fly trough the air .... right towards me. It landed where I was at that moment. Without the power the get the hell out of it I would be nothing more as a meat under a car.

One of the things I hate is when people use their brakes on the midlle of the highway (it is for driving not for breaking!) but that might be an old wound of a almost dead experience on the highways of Europe (big brand new Mercedes total loss, damage to 5 other cars and my back is still fuc_ked-up).

My driving instructors always learned me "Always to look further as the car (or whatever) in front of you". That is also why all the black windows in cars are so shitty.

Chang Noi

Think being a retiree cruising Thailand 'interstates'(we know what he means) at 80km on a Phantom sounds great. I like throwing my little 400cc sporty around the country as quickly as I can. Truth is that I'll only beat the Phantom by 1 beer at the next stop. I accept that even with utmost vigilance most times faster means more dangerous. Sure we all take some risks and have had some luck at times. Rather get shot out of a cannon than squeezed out of tube. Happy to cruise 100-120 on the straights.

Each to their own.

Love Thailand.

Good post, Andrew. I'll buy you that beer at the next stop if you'll wait for me..... I will get there, and I will have a smile on my face when I do. Safe travels to everyone........

Think being a retiree cruising Thailand 'interstates'(we know what he means) at 80km on a Phantom sounds great. I like throwing my little 400cc sporty around the country as quickly as I can. Truth is that I'll only beat the Phantom by 1 beer at the next stop. I accept that even with utmost vigilance most times faster means more dangerous. Sure we all take some risks and have had some luck at times. Rather get shot out of a cannon than squeezed out of tube. Happy to cruise 100-120 on the straights.

Each to their own.

Love Thailand.

Good post, Andrew. I'll buy you that beer at the next stop if you'll wait for me..... I will get there, and I will have a smile on my face when I do. Safe travels to everyone........

My smile will have been pushed to the back of my helmet!

You'll catch me on the straight bits.

Tortoise and the hare.

BTW I'm not very good at having 'a' beer.. so while the hare is having 1 more before embarking on the final leg the tortoise sensibly p*%^ssed off and won on a bloody Phantom!!

Edited by andrew55

Interesting to read quite a few posts that mention stopping for a beer or riding after a few beers. I'm not judging or knocking anyone as I have done it myself now and then but as having just one beer has been scientifically proven to reduce reaction time and overall riding ability it seems strange to read this in a safe riding thread.

3295313-20svbth.jpg

Note that this guy is on a race track and not on a public highway (aka "interstate") ! A good place to "let loose" your freedom and let it all hang out. At least if you kill someone, it will be you. I am not in favor of the "nanny state" or regulation, but it is interesting that in the US, Thailand and China (and probably elsewhere), the top speed of the PCX (and many/all other new motorcycles) is limited to 108 kph (that's TOP speed). When my Shadow is over 80 kph, a red light comes on that says "SPEED". If you think about it (you probably will dismiss it with a silly one liner -- "who knew?-- and a smiley face), maybe there is a message there. Of course, i drive above 80 kph, but I don't recall ever being above 120 kph, ever. As far as I am concerned, 100 kph (62 miles per hour) is plenty fast as a cruising speed on a motorcycle, regardless of the flow of traffic. Hopefully, the riders around you will be watching very, very carefully as you blow by at 170 kph expressing your "freedom". Good luck, I think you will need it.........

Interesting to read quite a few posts that mention stopping for a beer or riding after a few beers. I'm not judging or knocking anyone as I have done it myself now and then but as having just one beer has been scientifically proven to reduce reaction time and overall riding ability it seems strange to read this in a safe riding thread.

You are quite right skybluestu. It's just that coffee gives me a nasty hangover!

Point taken and fair call. I shouldn't be condoning drink- riding/driving.

Edited by andrew55

3295313-20svbth.jpg

Note that this guy is on a race track and not on a public highway (aka "interstate") ! A good place to "let loose" your freedom and let it all hang out. At least if you kill someone, it will be you. I am not in favor of the "nanny state" or regulation, but it is interesting that in the US, Thailand and China (and probably elsewhere), the top speed of the PCX (and many/all other new motorcycles) is limited to 108 kph (that's TOP speed). When my Shadow is over 80 kph, a red light comes on that says "SPEED". If you think about it (you probably will dismiss it with a silly one liner -- "who knew?-- and a smiley face), maybe there is a message there. Of course, i drive above 80 kph, but I don't recall ever being above 120 kph, ever. As far as I am concerned, 100 kph (62 miles per hour) is plenty fast as a cruising speed on a motorcycle, regardless of the flow of traffic. Hopefully, the riders around you will be watching very, very carefully as you blow by at 170 kph expressing your "freedom". Good luck, I think you will need it.........

it is interesting that in the US, Thailand and China (and probably elsewhere), the top speed of the PCX (and many/all other new motorcycles) is limited to 108 kph

Sure some scooters may have limited top speeds but the comment about many/all motorcycles limited to 108kph is utter nonsense.

PCX is an eco-scooter. No surprise it doesn't go fast.

Your 700cc Shadow flashes "Speed" at 80 kph?! What in the world? That's only 50 miles per hour. Very strange...

Sorry you didn't like my pic, perhaps this one will reflect my feelings more accurately :lol:

MCBurn.JPG

Ride On!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

3295313-20svbth.jpg

Hey Thailaw,

Looks fun huh? shock1.gif Let's dyno the Phantom and get down to a track day. Wha'd'ya reckon? Might get you in the market one of these new 150cc 'rocket ships' I see around BKK.

There are places that one can 'pop a mono' or 2 without risk to others. Not saying I do it (or don't do it..). however tracks and training facilities are designed with rider safety as a consideration - minimum of power poles and Volvo's with blacked out windows playing Billy Joel 8-track cassettes. Also a network of seniors to listen to. Even if you're happy cruising a Phantom(God, Buddha, Allah forbid!) hone skills. Go to a track sometime. The problem that I see is that it's best to step down a bike or 2 for skill development. I rode a Triumph Trophy 1200 day to day but found on the track I couldn't use all a 350cc had. I stepped down from a 1200 to 350. Having trouble thinking what you can step down to...Hope I don't sound patronizing but you are on a phantom.. All light banter mate.

IMHO too much emphasis is being given to speed in this thread. Obviously safe speed needs to be assessed according to the environment. Consider road condition, weather, your local knowledge of the ride(the pothole on the 3rd hairpin after the bridge..), traffic, your alertness level, brakes, tyres, school times, pickups with bags of cement, water buffalo... you get the idea. Also whether you ride most days or once a month. Both are ok but reflex actions (intimacy?) with the bike will be different. A week not riding or driving I know I'm not as sharp.

I'm saying that speed is one of many variables. I'd suggest skill through experience to assess these variables may be a bigger factor. 80kph past a school or 140kph in the open?

Think we need to meet for a 'coffee' if you can get there on time. Appears someone used my name for a post condoning a beer during pit-stops...

Truck should not have been doing 120? Thought they were supposed to be limited to 60? Normally there is a sign saying what the limit is for each class of vechical? Many Thai roads now have a limit of 120, so doing 130 is probably ok if the road surface is good and conditions are suitable? Mind you Thailand really is defensive driving, ON ANYTHING! My simple rule: anything can happen so always be vigilent.

Truck should not have been doing 120? Thought they were supposed to be limited to 60? Normally there is a sign saying what the limit is for each class of vechical? Many Thai roads now have a limit of 120, so doing 130 is probably ok if the road surface is good and conditions are suitable? Mind you Thailand really is defensive driving, ON ANYTHING! My simple rule: anything can happen so always be vigilent.

Yeh. You're right. I refuse to believe that a truck might have been speeding. That would be like changing lanes without indicating. Unimaginable. I don't think we're in Kansas anymore... whistling.gif

Sorry you didn't like my pic, perhaps this one will reflect my feelings more accurately :lol:

MCBurn.JPG]

Actually, I like your pictures a lot -- very cool. They just don't support in any way what you've been saying. And I assure you I won't "fade away". My two young daughters are making sure of that.... Next.....

it is interesting that in the US, Thailand and China (and probably elsewhere), the top speed of the PCX (and many/all other new motorcycles) is limited to 108 kph

Sure some scooters may have limited top speeds but the comment about many/all motorcycles limited to 108kph is utter nonsense.

PCX is an eco-scooter. No surprise it doesn't go fast.

Your 700cc Shadow flashes "Speed" at 80 kph?! What in the world? That's only 50 miles per hour. Very strange...

Tony

Actually I used to own a 1990 Honda CBX 750 that had a speed light that lit up at 80kms. It was tre annoying and the dam_n thing was governed to 180kms/h. Was a grey import in my country though . . .

Sobering indeed. Anywhere, anytime.ohmy.gif

If you value life and limb, 130 kph is just too fast, any time, any where in Thailand. Besides bags of cement, there are horrendous pot holes, debris, crazy drivers and God know what else on the roads everywhere, just waiting to bring you down -- hard. Take it slow and arrive a few minutes later, alive and in one piece -- this is Thailand......

Absolute nonsense written from someone who obviously needs to get out more. Thailand is blessed with innumerable PERFECT high speed roads-

Ride It Like You Stole It! :lol:

Tony

ps. To the OP, tailgating is never a good idea in ANY country. When riding a motorcycle on public roads it is generally best to stay at the edge of your lane as this increases your field of view and allows you to see potential obstacles sooner than if they are blocked from view by a vehicle in front of you. Ride On! T

Tony, I'll ride with you any day buddy :D :jap:

MCBurn.JPG]

Actually, I like your pictures a lot -- very cool. They just don't support in any way what you've been saying. And I assure you I won't "fade away". My two young daughters are making sure of that.... Next.....

Is that Haga in the photo parting the fire storm?

Sobering indeed. Anywhere, anytime.ohmy.gif

If you value life and limb, 130 kph is just too fast, any time, any where in Thailand. Besides bags of cement, there are horrendous pot holes, debris, crazy drivers and God know what else on the roads everywhere, just waiting to bring you down -- hard. Take it slow and arrive a few minutes later, alive and in one piece -- this is Thailand......

Absolute nonsense written from someone who obviously needs to get out more. Thailand is blessed with innumerable PERFECT high speed roads-

Ride It Like You Stole It! :lol:

Tony

ps. To the OP, tailgating is never a good idea in ANY country. When riding a motorcycle on public roads it is generally best to stay at the edge of your lane as this increases your field of view and allows you to see potential obstacles sooner than if they are blocked from view by a vehicle in front of you. Ride On! T

Cheers Mate,

I don't think ThaiLaw quite gets my humor (it's an acquired taste for some) and it's kinda fun pushing his buttons ;)

That said, I still think that riding a bike at 80kph is very dangerous here in Thailand because if a car or truck doing 120-140 kph decides you are in their way they may very well just push you off the road.

Keep Her Shiny Side Up and Rubber Side Down!

Tony

MCBurn.JPG]

Ha ha! Good call!

Yep, that's a photo of old "Iron Nitro Nori" which I believe was taken during his brief stint in MotoGP in 2001.

I thought he'd retire after that nasty high side at Donington in 09 but he was back in the saddle with Ducati and still winning races last year!

Awesome! B)

MCBurn.JPG]

Ha ha! Good call!

Yep, that's a photo of old "Iron Nitro Nori" which I believe was taken during his brief stint in MotoGP in 2001.

I thought he'd retire after that nasty high side at Donington in 09 but he was back in the saddle with Ducati and still winning races last year!

Awesome! B)

I'll always be a Nitro Nori fan mate

Cheers Mate,

I don't think ThaiLaw quite gets my humor (it's an acquired taste for some) and it's kinda fun pushing his buttons ;)

That said, I still think that riding a bike at 80kph is very dangerous here in Thailand because if a car or truck doing 120-140 kph decides you are in their way they may very well just push you off the road.

Keep Her Shiny Side Up and Rubber Side Down!

Tony

I am an advocate of 'leaving them in my dust'. Did it in the middle east wirh the brain dead drivers over there and I do the same here as well. As long as I am putting no one in jeapardy, I am out of there..PERIOD..!!!

I find the key to safe motorcycling in busier roads is to match the general speed of the traffic.

true.

It's like zebra crossings, international law states you have to stop, stopping here would be far more dangerous that just going through them as no one expects anybody to stop or even slowdown. Stopping would likely cause an accident.

Good point... totally agree there. My wife (Thai) always thinks she's doing someone a favor if she stops at the Zebra to let someone pass. But this is Thailand so somebody will pass your stopped car - against the rules in the west but here who cares - and hit the people just crossing because you stopped for them.

@ the OP: Good post and thanks for sharing.

Please tell me you are not one of those drivers who drives at 80 in the middle lane of the express-wayjap.gif.

I keep it around 80 kph, and drive as far on the left side as I safely can. I never drive on expressways on a motorcycle (no fun in that), mostly 2 lane country roads. It is not just the roads, some of which are no doubt good for high speed driving in cars. Other than interstate, roads in Thailand go unrepaired for months (or longer), and the heat and torrential rains are very hard on pavement and can make huge and very deep pot holes. And, in addition, things being carried in trucks are not properly strapped down (like bags of cement), and can and do fall off creating serious obstacles in the road. People pass when they shouldn't and force bikes over or off the road -- it has happened to me on numerous occasions. The key to safe driving in Thailand is to keep the speed down so that you have more time to react to all of the mess thrown at you while driving on the roads in Thailand. A motorcycle is a fun way to get around, even at 80 kph. And I do need to get out more, but I also want to return (alive and in one piece) when the ride is over -- I feel "no need to bleed". There is no requirement to be stupid just because you drive a motorcycle.

why do i suspect you are riding a dream?

i prefer to keep up with all traffic around me rather than running slower having all manner of things dodge and weave trying to pass me, I've seen some horrendous moves in front of me and would prefer not to be part of it or fall victim to it, I actually tend to drive slightly faster than surrounding 4 wheel traffic, I am more in control of my surroundings and stay well ahead of the game, 120-140kmh is my usual cruising speed conditional on road quality and traffic, I simply prefer to be approaching traffic than have traffic approach me from behind the latter I have no control over

be safe guys