China: 'U.S. arms sales to Taiwan have jeopardized China's core interests'

News_Editor

China: 'U.S. arms sales to Taiwan have jeopardized China's core interests'

2011-01-10 18:09:44 GMT+7 (ICT)

BEIJING, CHINA (BNO NEWS) -- Chinese Defense Minister Liang Guanglie on Monday said that the Asian nation opposes all U.S. arms sales to Taiwan and said it jeopardizes China's core interests, state-run media reported.

Liang made the remarks during a joint press conference with U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates and reiterated that Taiwan remains an 'inalienable' part of China, according to the state-run Xinhua news agency.

U.S. arms sales to Taiwan "have jeopardized China's core interests," Liang told reporters when asked whether a future U.S. weapon sales to Taiwan would possibly cause harm to bilateral military relations.

"We do not want to see such things happening again. We do not want U.S. weapon sales to Taiwan to further damage the relationship between China and the United States and the two nations' armed forces," Liang added.

The U.S. sold an estimated $6.4 billion worth of arms to Taiwan in January 2010, prompting China and the U.S. to suspend some bilateral military exchange programs, as well as Gates' originally scheduled trip to China.

However, during the joint press conference, Gates said both sides will continue their bilateral talks, adding that Chinese leaders have shown willingness to work together.

Gates is scheduled to visit Seoul, South Korea on Friday before traveling to Tokyo, Japan.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-10

Defense Minister Liang Guanglie, China's continued industrial espionage activities, its ongoing influence peddling, its support of rogue regimes like North Korea, its complete disregard for the environment and its refusal to respect basic human rights jeopardize the core beliefs of a great part of the world. Therefore, I suggest Mr. Minister that you take your opinion and shove it deep back into your rectum from whence it came.

Defense Minister Liang Guanglie, China's continued industrial espionage activities, its ongoing influence peddling, its support of rogue regimes like North Korea, its complete disregard for the environment and its refusal to respect basic human rights jeopardize the core beliefs of a great part of the world. Therefore, I suggest Mr. Minister that you take your opinion and shove it deep back into your rectum from whence it came.

Was it not suggested from the Wikileaks cables that it was China's wish that Korea be reunified and be run from Seoul?

Without China, Taiwan would be drowning, economically.

Taiwan is depending on China and Taiwan has a rapid aging population next to a very low birth rate. The country is totally depending on exports with many of their products made in China.

Most westerners have no idea how many factories with millions of workers in mainland China are (co)-owned by Taiwanese. Just 29% work in the industry and 69% in the service industry.

Shaky and very vulnarable economy.

It will be a matter of time before Taiwan (has to) join the mother again in one form or another; Hong Kong and Macau are examples of such changes.

LaoPo

Taiwan is depending on China and Taiwan has a rapid aging population next to a very low birth rate. The country is totally depending on exports with many of their products made in China.

Most westerners have no idea how many factories with millions of workers in mainland China are (co)-owned by Taiwanese. Just 29% work in the industry and 69% in the service industry.

It will be a matter of time before Taiwan (has to) join the mother again in one form or another; Hong Kong and Macau are examples of such changes.

LaoPo

I was under the impression the 100 year lease ran out on Hong Kong.

LaoPo

Shhhh don't bring facts into this argument!

China is as dependant on Taiwan as Taiwan is on China. It is an interdependance that is balanced by other countries' stakes in Taiwan. The US and other nations will continue to support Taiwan and the Chinese will continue to piss and moan about it but since they can't afford to be seen as even more aggressive and brutal than they already are, China will in the end take it just where some other poster suggested that they do.

China ... one of the world's most repressive nations. The only good thing that could come out of this is the US gently telling China that all that debt ... is just being declared void ;)

LaoPo

Correct.

the situation with Taiwan is even shorter, timewise, but entirely different. 2 fighting Chinese dogs and one left China and escaped to the island of Taiwan/Formosa.

There have been many civil wars around the world; this was one of them.

LaoPo

LaoPo

China is as dependant on Taiwan as Taiwan is on China. It is an interdependance that is balanced by other countries' stakes in Taiwan. The US and other nations will continue to support Taiwan and the Chinese will continue to piss and moan about it but since they can't afford to be seen as even more aggressive and brutal than they already are, China will in the end take it just where some other poster suggested that they do.

China ... one of the world's most repressive nations. The only good thing that could come out of this is the US gently telling China that all that debt ... is just being declared void ;)

Really? Care to explain?

How's a country of 1.335.000.000 million people depending on an island with 23 million with a small labor force of 10 million of which 69% in in the service industry?

Other countries' stakes?...hmmm...those stakes are switching to other parts of Asia quickly; not many other nations are willing to put much risks or stakes in a small island community which has little future, other than to join their Mommy, sooner or later (again).

Taiwan has about the same population as Australia; now, if someone would put stakes and interests in a certain country.....I would know where to put my money ;) Australia has enormous amounts of commodities and resources and I'm nt even talking the size here....; Taiwan has next to nothing in resources.

And, the China Government might be repressive, I agree with that but the nation and it's people is not.

And, if you think that China is stupid and wait for the void decreasing dollar....you're mistaken. They're drifting away from the greenback already although China is still the largest holder of US treasuries. They're buying more and more €uro and other currency's nominated treasuries, away from the dollar.

The difference between the Chinese and the west is that the Chinese are used to think long term. The west is not; never did.

The ones suffering from a declining and void (your words) dollar is the US in the first place; if you think the exports will increase with a low dollar, youre partly right but only to a certain -very limited- extent since the US doesn't have many products and producers to compete with low-cost producing nations. That;s the way it is and that's the way it will stay.

Some of you are so shortsighted and basing their opinions on limited and one-sourced info (you own country's) that you fail to see the larger picture in the world. The anti-China sentiment is based upon the fear and non know-how about China.

The western press (and Governments) is always focused upon telling others (China in this case) what to do and how to do, what's best and what should be done.

The west shows no respect for Asia, the part of the world which claims the future and we'd better stop pointing the finger and maybe we should laern to listen a little better, because our children and grandchildren will not understand how stupid their parents and grandparents were, ignoring the largest population in the world: ASIA.

No doubt that China will become the largest economy in the world; just a matter of time, whether you like it or not.

And, the arms' sales to Taiwan is nothing more than pleasing the hardliners and weapons' industry in the US and a political motivated deal, iritating China.

Nothing more.

I wonder if the US would be pleased if China would sell $ 6 Billion of weapons to a certain neighbor of the US ?:rolleyes::whistling:

It's all in the eyes of the beholder, isn't it?

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

LaoPo

Really? Care to explain?

How's a country of 1.335.000.000 million people depending on an island with 23 million with a small labor force of 10 million of which 69% in in the service industry?

Other countries' stakes?...hmmm...those stakes are switching to other parts of Asia quickly; not many other nations are willing to put much risks or stakes in a small island community which has little future, other than to join their Mommy, sooner or later (again).

Taiwan has about the same population as Australia; now, if someone would put stakes and interests in a certain country.....I would know where to put my money ;) Australia has enormous amounts of commodities and resources and I'm nt even talking the size here....; Taiwan has next to nothing in resources.

And, the China Government might be repressive, I agree with that but the nation and it's people is not.

And, if you think that China is stupid and wait for the void decreasing dollar....you're mistaken. They're drifting away from the greenback already although China is still the largest holder of US treasuries. They're buying more and more €uro and other currency's nominated treasuries, away from the dollar.

The difference between the Chinese and the west is that the Chinese are used to think long term. The west is not; never did.

The ones suffering from a declining and void (your words) dollar is the US in the first place; if you think the exports will increase with a low dollar, youre partly right but only to a certain -very limited- extent since the US doesn't have many products and producers to compete with low-cost producing nations. That;s the way it is and that's the way it will stay.

Some of you are so shortsighted and basing their opinions on limited and one-sourced info (you own country's) that you fail to see the larger picture in the world. The anti-China sentiment is based upon the fear and non know-how about China.

The western press (and Governments) is always focused upon telling others (China in this case) what to do and how to do, what's best and what should be done.

The west shows no respect for Asia, the part of the world which claims the future and we'd better stop pointing the finger and maybe we should laern to listen a little better, because our children and grandchildren will not understand how stupid their parents and grandparents were, ignoring the largest population in the world: ASIA.

No doubt that China will become the largest economy in the world; just a matter of time, whether you like it or not.

And, the arms' sales to Taiwan is nothing more than pleasing the hardliners and weapons' industry in the US and a political motivated deal, iritating China.

Nothing more.

I wonder if the US would be pleased if China would sell $ 6 Billion of weapons to a certain neighbor of the US ?:rolleyes::whistling:

It's all in the eyes of the beholder, isn't it?

LaoPo

I've never had Canadians down as being particularly aggressive. Orange perhaps, but not aggressive.

I've never had Canadians down as being particularly aggressive. Orange perhaps, but not aggressive.

Who was talking Canada? :rolleyes:

There are other closeby neighbors...

LaoPo

I do not think that the US is providing Taiwan with nuclear bombs as the USSR was in Cuba. :rolleyes:

They better not.....;)

If you talk Cuba....the US had nuclear bombs on Puerto Rico already back in the mid '50's..just 150 miles away from Cuba; that was BEFORE the Cuba crisis which occurred in 1962.

Next to that the US put more nuclear weapons in Japan and all over Europe in the fifties and sixties.

I don't think there's any other country in the world who has stored so many nuclear weapons on foreign soil than the a US.

Better stop talking about other countries and their weapon industry; the a US is by far still the largest weapons producer and exporter, worldwide.

LaoPo

And, the China Government might be repressive, I agree with that...

That is very sporting of you, old chap. :lol:

I am...always been; but you didn't see it................................ yet :rolleyes:

LaoPo

LaoPo

Bermudans?

Throw a dart...?

post-13995-0-15415000-1294795329_thumb.j

LaoPo

LaoPo

Oh, so are you saying that Sarah was right all along when she said she could see Russia from Alaska?

I don't know what other neighbours would want Chinese weapons or could afford the weapons in the amount you referenced.

I do not think that the US is providing Taiwan with nuclear bombs as the USSR was in Cuba. :rolleyes:

They better not.....;)

If you talk Cuba....the US had nuclear bombs on Puerto Rico already back in the mid '50's..just 150 miles away from Cuba; that was BEFORE the Cuba crisis which occurred in 1962.

Next to that the US put more nuclear weapons in Japan and all over Europe in the fifties and sixties.

I don't think there's any other country in the world who has stored so many nuclear weapons on foreign soil than the a US.

Better stop talking about other countries and their weapon industry; the a US is by far still the largest weapons producer and exporter, worldwide.

LaoPo

Isn't the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico an unincorporated territory of the USA? As such, if Puerto Ricans wanted to walk around in the nude wearing nothing but nuclear tipped boleros on their;

i) Homosexual and Woman Version: Tanned taut sexy latin bodies with a bulging pocket of tasty satisfaction, or,

ii) Heterosexual and Lesbian version: Petite yet curvaceous hot bodies with well a formed bosom that whispers one's name,

they have every right to do so. (I am thinking of writing adult novelettes B) )

So what if the USA had stationed nuclear weapons in foreign countries. It was done so with the express agreement of the elected governments of those countries. It's not like when Russia said to the Warsaw pact countries, take our missiles or we'll give you repeat of what we did to the Polish soldiers after WWII.

And away you go with the nonsensical comment about the US being the "largest" weapons exporter. What's your point? Is it the USA's fault that it sells big ticket items like expensive, but reliable aircraft? Of course the numbers will be higher since a Boeing jet costs significantly more than a Shenyang that no one wants. BTW, why is it you Europeans are only European when it is convenient? The EU produces and exports more weapons than the USA. And for the record, China has not and will not give a ull disclosure of its military spending, sales or production numbers, so a comparison is futile.

Edited by geriatrickid

LaoPo

Oh, so are you saying that Sarah was right all along when she said she could see Russia from Alaska?

I don't know what other neighbours would want Chinese weapons or could afford the weapons in the amount you referenced.

Venezuela is spending Billions on military armament but they are buying from Russia.

Many Chinese and Russian weapons are ending up in places like The Sudan, Somalia and Ivory Coast.

LaoPo

Venezuela is spending Billions on military armament but they are buying from Russia.

Many Chinese and Russian weapons are ending up in places like The Sudan, Somalia and Ivory Coast.

Venezuala is hardly a neighbour anyway. Its approx 2200 km away from continental USA. A neighbour is one living on adjacent or adjoining land, i.e. Mexico or Canada.

LaoPo

Venezuala is hardly a neighbour anyway. Its approx 2200 km away from continental USA. A neighbour is one living on adjacent or adjoining land, i.e. Mexico or Canada.

When discussing the purchase of military weapons internationally, I believe it is safe to assume 2200 kilometers is certainly within neighborhood range.