Not Just Another "What'S The Best Internet In Cm" Thread

SadieMBeagle

Hi all,

There have been quite a lot of threads lately on the best internet available in Chiang Mai. Unfortunately, none of these threads have addressed my own peculiar situation, so here we go again.

I live in a strange, 3G wireless-deprived bubble east of town just inside the 3rd ring road (and when I say "strange bubble," I mean that even my neighbor 3 houses away has decent 3G reception, but for some reason, I do not. <deleted>!). The closest town to me is San Pu Loei. I would dearly love to get fast internet again, so I am forced to turn away from the wireless options (airsticks, etc.) and get wired.

Here is what I know so far:

• AIS 3G airstick does not work.
  • AIS 2G airstick works just fine, but is not fast enough for what I want (television shows!!).
  • 3BB says they do not service my area. No joke - they showed me their coverage map and there is a tiny little circle of exclusion drawn around my village.
  • My mobile phone, which is through True Mobile, cycles incessantly between Edge and 3G while at my house, even though it has perfect 3G service a few houses away from mine. I know, right?!
  • My rented house does not have a land telephone line, and I would prefer not to get one. So internet through a phone line is my least-preferable option.
  • There is a coax cable line to my house, although I currently do not have any cable television service. Understandable, as I do not own a television.

Based on the above, please weigh in and let me know what sort of internet options are available to me. Annual contracts are fine, as I am here long-term. Thanks much :)

Since your neighbors houses get good 3G reception, maybe you could buy a 3G router with wireless built in (Linksys WRT54G3GV2-VF or similar) and pay your neighbor a small fee to "host" it for you. The 3G physically sits somewhere elevated at your neighbor's house and you connected via secured (WPA2) wireless to your laptop.

I think your other 2 options are very expensive point-to-point wi-fi links or moving closer to town.

-Mestizo